Spank Rock - Yoyoyoyoyo ...opinions?

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
listening to it right now.i must say im more impressed by the crispness of the production than the songs. sounds like something the hollertronix board would go ga-ga over...

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    It's been getting much spin on WRUV.org

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I liked it upon first listen. Second listen though, not so much.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I usually dislike songs/artists that use too many video game samples in their music. It's been done already and comes across as cheap to me; just using retro sounds for nostalgia sake. Although someone (forget who but JP was gushing over it) posted a pretty dope rap a la Rock CoKane Flow a few months back. Who was that?

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    I haven't heard the whole album but I've heard 5-6 songs off it. I like a few songs off it, the bloggers, myspace and press have been giving it some attention for a while now it seems. I like "put that pussy on me" but thats old by now, the "Rick rubin" remix is pretty nice with Pase rock. "Primetime" has got a simpler sounding next level beat thats alright. Some of it I just can't get with like "Bump short", but it's pretty fun to listen to, good party music, not sure how long it'll be in rotation.

• i saw them in chicago on tuesday night. i kinda liked the "put that pussy on me" track but hadn't heard too much else, aside from a couple tracks from people's mixes.

their live show was tight! a lot of energy, and most importantly it was fun.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I usually dislike songs/artists that use too many video game samples in their music. It's been done already and comes across as cheap to me; just using retro sounds for nostalgia sake. Although someone (forget who but JP was gushing over it) posted a pretty dope rap a la Rock CoKane Flow a few months back. Who was that?

Are you talking about the Phill Most chopped & screwed?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    as an album tis ehhh. As a party track here or there I can see it working. I know the hipsters will love it and I am sure will give it rave reviews. It will be a fashionable CD to have for 15 minutes or so.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Found it! Yeah, that's it. Really liked it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Haven't heard the whole album yet, but the beat for "Backyard Betty" is ridiculous.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Although someone (forget who but JP was gushing over it) posted a pretty dope rap a la Rock CoKane Flow a few months back. Who was that?

He is known to gush--just ask Young Phonics. This is not narrowing the field.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Found it! Yeah, that's it. Really liked it.

OK... that was Phill Most Chill... rapping over Lil Flip "Game Over"... I chopped and screwed it... I still don't understand your post above

• i saw them in chicago on tuesday night. i kinda liked the "put that pussy on me" track but hadn't heard too much else, aside from a couple tracks from people's mixes.

their live show was tight! a lot of energy, and most importantly it was fun.

I have to co-sign here... I was at the Chicago show too and they did a nice ass job. Big energy. Pase Rock was his hype man. They played some tune that wasn't on the album or any twelves that i've seen called something like "shake it until my dick turns racist". I was on the floor dyin' with laughter. Dude kinda reminded me of a cross between Luther Campbell and Chappelle (doin that skit where he's rappin as "the real Black Sheep"). I've listened to the album a number of times now (even before the show) and I think it's pretty good. Not sure about it's staying power ultimately but i'm sure it'll make all the hipster lists. That track with MIA is dope.

I'm down...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Caught the live show with cosmo in l.a. Dudes were killing it. Havent heard the album though.