Brooklyn Disco / Boogie mix for download!

crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i did this mix of all brooklyn records last year...either songs about brooklyn or records on brooklyn labels...and then i put on this jeffrey turpin disco calypso salsoul cover that i thought was on a brooklyn label but now i'm not so sure...but anyways, this website abrooklynlife has decided to host the mix for download, enjoy! www.abrooklynlife.comhere's the tracklist:Boogie Down Brooklyn - Mixed by DJ DuckcombCutmaster D.C. - "Brooklyn Rocks the Best"Sounds of JHS 126 Brooklyn - "Chill Pill (Arthur Russell Mix)"Les Femmes - "Yes You Thrill Me"Barbara Joyce - "Message in the Love"Vivian Lee "Music - Is So Wonderful"Keith Thompson - "I Want What You've Got"Omar Santana with the Brooklyn Bandits - "Acid 1990"Peter Gordon - "Brooklyn"Master Jay & Michael Dee - "The Sound of Brooklyn"Bon Rock - "It's Alright"Futura - "Feelin' Hot"New Paradise - "Easy LIfe"Snaps Montego - "I'll Cast My Fate to the Wind"East Coast - "The Rock"Jeffrey Turpin Experience - "You Are Just the Right Size"Boobie Knight - "Juicy Fruit My Love"Arts & Craft - "I've Been Searching"James Barnes - "See Me, Feel Me"

Comments

• Someone just posted about this on a craigslist forum.

Downloading now. Thanks!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Kinda stepping on a few toes here. Numero controls the rights to TSOB, and while we're not going to shut down your mix (getting the track out there is the most important thing right now), I will advise that there are others who may.

Just a heads up.

• Kinda stepping on a few toes here. Numero controls the rights to TSOB, and while we're not going to shut down your mix (getting the track out there is the most important thing right now), I will advise that there are others who may.

Just a heads up.

So you're going to "shut down" his mix because he's playing a certain song that somebody owns?

GTFOOHWTBS

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i don't see the problem...i'm not charging any money on this...just free advertising for the owners of the rights for this music. c'mon dude.

ok, now i'm pissed! so i try to make a mix out of a love of brooklyn and it's music and some dude in CHICAGO tries to say i'm stepping on toes for doing something completely legal!? and then saying that the most important thing is that the music is being advertised...do you even care about the music at all? wtf!?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Kinda stepping on a few toes here. Numero controls the rights to TSOB, and while we're not going to shut down your mix (getting the track out there is the most important thing right now), I will advise that there are others who may.

Just a heads up.

dude, it's FREE promo... you guys should be thanking (and paying) P*tr*ck! honestly outside of rare disco/hip hop circles, no one even knows that song. and more importantly, if you do do something with it, i hope you kick down some money to the people who made the record (somehow i doubt it...)!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    ok, now i'm pissed! so i try to make a mix out of a love of brooklyn and it's music and some dude in CHICAGO tries to say i'm stepping on toes for doing something completely legal!? and then saying that the most important thing is that the music is being advertised...do you even care about the music at all? wtf!?

Reread my post. I don't care that you made a free mix that points out a great track that we have licensed for use. Actually, I said "the most important thing is to get the track out there." The whole point of my post was that there are others who may come back and shut you down. Contrary to popular belief, Soulstrut is not an insular community that is known to few (it's probably why forums like Real Headz exist). A ton of people read and lurk this site. And I'm sure you know how many people check out Craigslist.

I downloaded it, I think it's a great mix. And guess what? Like all great things, it's gonna spread. Sooner or later someone is going to say, "Hey, where's my piece?" Take the warning or don't, your call. Mixes aren't legal just because you say it's promo only. Grey Album anyone? I could mix my favorite Chicago group harmony records and say the same thing, but it doesn't protect me from getting cease and desist letters. If you think it's just Dixie Chicks and U2 fan sites, you're way off. I've seen what seems to be the smallest shit ever get ripped down in a matter of days.

As far as paying the artists, writers, producers for this track, please see the Soul Jazz thread a few weeks back.

For anyone else who cares, we're working on a proper TSOB reissue currently (as opposed to the boot redit that came out last summer). There is a 16 minute mix that is rumored to exist which could be completely off the hook.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If we're talking about the record "TSOB" (as opposed to the entire label catalogue)...

I mean, it's a known record. well-known, i'd even venture.

It's been on mixes before.

I don't think anyone will (or should) care...

my .02

thanks for the reply TNG. i realize now that money or no money, online mixes are a form of distribution and that could probably get sticky legally.

BUT...i've seen thousands of mixes posted here and of course when i actually post a mix i get called out and pseudo-threatened...and that's annoying. but whatever, glad to hear somebody will be reissuing the TSOB ouvre.

regarding the TSOB theme...well known in our circles but still pretty damn obscure!

• A free mix that no-one profited from?
    And we get a recall of a whinge thats thinly disguised as a backhanded compliment.

For fucks sake.
    If anything mixes like that make people like me & many board members say... 'Where the heck can I get that record from'. Making us the first in line to purchase said record.

I totally understand CPR's dismay at such a misguided comment.
    Here he was celebrating something & sharing, then some dude in a tie says he can't park his bike out front of the building, but adds.. 'I like to cycle as well'.

Thanks Poporock. Dl'ing now before the you are served a 'cease & desist' notice..

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Speaking about TSOB. Thats another record where I think the Instrumental is way hotter than the vocal.

Da Law be lurking!~

I remember I ripped the 12 Inch about 2 years ago and put it up here.

Should I be scuured?

Cosmo, did you ever get ur copy?

PS- Thx for the mix!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Thanks.

Here he was celebrating something & sharing, then some dude in a tie says he can't park his bike out front of the building, but adds.. 'I like to cycle as well'.

Sooner or later someone is going to say, "Hey, where's my piece?" Take the warning or don't, your call. Mixes aren't legal just because you say it's promo only. Grey Album anyone? I could mix my favorite Chicago group harmony records and say the same thing, but it doesn't protect me from getting cease and desist letters.

you can't get water from a stone. it's a FREE mix. no one is making any money here. the worst that could happen is, yes, he'd get ceast and desist letter (at SOMEONE ELSE'S website!) and they'd remove the mix.

dude, you should have read this thread, PMed Crazypoprock a note saying "thanks for the free promo, i'd love to send you the reissues when we put them out, you're obviously our target market!" and posted nothing on this thread. if you believe someone else in your company may "shut (this mix) down", than go talk to them. it just seems silly to vaguely threaten someone on a message board who's giving you a shitload of free publicity. ESPECIALLY since, if i know P*tr*ck, it's a mixed mix, and thus he's probably using a small portion of the whole, no different than when you click on a "preview song" link on Amazon or Allmusic...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    it just seems silly to vaguely threaten someone on a message board who's giving you a shitload of free publicity.

It is seems silly to even be discussing this on a DJ-oriented discussion board.

I mean did the dude that publicly came at P****k think his argument was gonna resonate with the community here?