What's Wrong With Hip-Hop: Throwback Edition

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
From the January 1991 issue of The Source:
    "As we move into 1991, what is the biggest problem facing rap music?" 1. "There are too many wack albums out there. Artists should have to have a successful 12-inch before they get an album deal." - I. Waner, Washingotn D.C.2. "That wick-wack white rappers like Vanilla Ice can make an unintentionally offbeat song and it sells like crack." - F. Hamreman, Davis, CA3. "The media and other conservatives making it seem like 2 Live Crew and Geto Boys are representatives of what rap music is all about." - J. Sledge, NYC4. "Too many rappers trying to 'teach and preach.' That stuff is getting played out; it should be left to the real teachers like PE, BDP and X-Clan." - T. Duncan, San Jose, CA5. "The negative publicity concerning publicity (2 Live Crew, Geto Boys), violence (Lench Mob, ATL), sampling (MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice), and the disregard of Houston as a burgeoning rap industry." - G. Wilson, Prairie View, TX6. "This new R&B mixture with hip-hop is threatening hardcore rap on the whole." - J. Cox, Durham, NC7. "It's adaptation by white, as was previously done with Jazz, Blues, and Rock n' Roll." - L.S. Ahead, North Miami Beach, FL8. "Many radio people (from music directors to DJs) talk about how great hip-hop is, but few actually play it." - B. Warren, Philadelphia, PA9. "The lack of intelligent black women stepping up to the mic and giving black woman a voice." - O. Freeman, Middletown, CT10. "The CD industry. Records are quickly becoming scarce. What are the DJs going to use? Hip-hop will lose the one tool that has truly separated it from all other musical genres." - E. Whiteside, Mt. Vernon, IL11. "The large tours are not being supported. Tours might become a thing of the past." - DJ Woody Wood (Three Times Dope), Philadelphia, PA12. "There is too much violence at rap shows. It makes you not want to go out and support rap artists when their tour comes to town." - P. Derlich, Los Angeles, CA[/LIST]

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    6. "This new R&B mixture with hip-hop is threatening hardcore rap on the whole." - J. Cox, Durham, NC

I remember thinking that. But instead of threatening hardcore rap, it just ended up making R&B better.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    the disregard of Houston as a burgeoning rap industry." - G. Wilson, Prairie View, TX

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

From the January 1991

the disregard of Houston as a burgeoning rap industry." - G. Wilson, Prairie View, TX

From the January 1991

From the January 1991

From the January 1991

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

From the January 1991

I'm saying people:

That plus people have ALWAYS complained about the same shit in hip-hop. Things change but things stay the same.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i really just think that that particular point proves/gives credit to why yankees view southerners as obnoxious or so adamant about their allegiance. I mean 15 years of being ignored.... and then once you get a stranglehold on the market, you still can't get proper due?

but yes, Odub...I agree.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

3. "The media and other conservatives making it seem like 2 Live Crew and Geto Boys are representatives of what rap music is all about." - J. Sledge, NYC

for 2006:

"The media and other liberals making it seem like DL4 and Dem Franchise Boys are representative of what rap music is all about."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    9. "The lack of intelligent black women stepping up to the mic and giving black woman a voice." - O. Freeman, Middletown, CT

9. "The lack of intelligent black women stepping up to the mic and giving black woman a voice." - O. Freeman, Middletown, CT

Remy Ma not good enough for you?

• 4. "Too many rappers trying to 'teach and preach.'

Problem solved.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    6. "This new R&B mixture with hip-hop is threatening hardcore rap on the whole." - J. Cox, Durham, NC

I remember thinking that. But instead of threatening hardcore rap, it just ended up making R&B better.

There may be the occasional worthwhile R&B jam, but I don't think it excuses the obnoxious crossover cuts that pollute pretty much every major rap release from the past several years

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    4. "Too many rappers trying to 'teach and preach.'

Problem solved.
    Speak on it?

There may be the occasional worthwhile R&B jam, but I don't think it excuses the obnoxious crossover cuts that pollute pretty much every major rap release from the past several years

1) I think we've already established that you do not, in fact, like hip-hop so I'm not sure why you're opining here one way or another.

2) I think the point being made above is that, ultimately, R&B crossed over to hip-hop and not the other way around. Hip-hop got worse (perhaps) but that's not because R&B fucked it up. If anything, a lot of folks think hip-hop fucked up R&B.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I can dig that

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

1) I think we've already established that you do not, in fact, like hip-hop so I'm not sure why you're opining here one way or another.

2) I think the point being made above is that, ultimately, R&B crossed over to hip-hop and not the other way around. Hip-hop got worse (perhaps) but that's not because R&B fucked it up. If anything, a lot of folks think hip-hop fucked up R&B.

I think hardcore strengthened itself, back in '91.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i really just think that that particular point proves/gives credit to why yankees view southerners as obnoxious or so adamant about their allegiance. I mean 15 years of being ignored.... and then once you get a stranglehold on the market, you still can't get proper due?

but yes, Odub...I agree.

Where's the "Here We Go Again" gremlin?????

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

but yes, Odub...I agree.

Where's the "Here We Go Again" gremlin?????

we're not doing anything again. it's not up for discussion.

i usually stay away from these disucussions, anyways.

it's a case in point. thanks, drive through.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

4. "Too many rappers trying to 'teach and preach.' That stuff is getting played out; it should be left to the real teachers like PE, BDP and X-Clan." - T. Duncan, San Jose, CA

Before I finished reading the quote, I thought
    he was talking about PE, BDP and X-Clan!

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    When was the crude, racially paranoid irrendentism of X-Clan, ever taken seriously as the learned offerings of "teachers?" The failed ideologies of fringe nationalists, repackaged as consciousness. To the east my brother to the east? Get thee to a library. Read Dubois critique of Garvey, learn about the failed state of Liberia.

When was the crude, racially paranoid irrendentism of X-Clan, ever taken seriously as the learned offerings of "teachers?" The failed ideologies of fringe nationalists, repackaged as consciousness. To the east my brother to the east? Get thee to a library. Read Dubois critique of Garvey, learn about the failed state of Liberia.

LOL

Why don't you break it down for us?
    we need to be taught about the plight of Native America -
    and only a "concious rapper" such as yourself can teach
    us through your channeling abilities...

ROFLCOASTER x 10,000,000!!!!!

• In January of 1991 I think I was still sitting in Sound Arts studio watching the Geto Boys record We Cant Be Stopped.

And it is a point well taken, and I have said it before, this shit has been said over and over and over again for years and hwo cares.

Houston has no stranglehold on anything. Only one artist this year went platinum, with the worst most bullshit CD out of the bunch. ATL artists go platinum all day everyday. Sometimes before they even get out of bed.

We have no stranglehold on anything except for the fact that we used to be a realllly strong independent city. Now we are just another city with platinum aspirations that may or may not ever happen again.

Not hating just stating. I love my city but damn dog.

I put in It Takes a Nation of Millions today while driving to Taqueria Arandas. It's been some time since I have done that and I am not lying, I got a lil choked up during Bring the Noise. I'm not kidding. I was all like DAMN MAN WHAT HAPPENED????

It hurts.

PEACE matt

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    It's amusing that your undergarments are still twisted over that episode. But thanks for reminding me of your lemming status. I suppose you think this is discourse.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

LOL

Why don't you break it down for us?
    we need to be taught about the plight of Native America -
    and only a "concious rapper" such as yourself can teach
    us through your channeling abilities...

x 10,000,000!!!!!

When was the crude, racially paranoid irrendentism of X-Clan, ever taken seriously as the learned offerings of "teachers?"

I'm going to go out an a limb here and guess 1991?

*** You are laughing uncontrollably at this user ***

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If anything, a lot of folks think hip-hop fucked up R&B.

If anything, Hip Hop saved RnB from extinction. Now they've both got the clap, or worse.

*** You are laughing uncontrollably at this user ***

Oh jeez....

It's amusing that your undergarments are still twisted over that episode. But thanks for reminding me of your lemming status. I suppose you think this is discourse.

now I go back and read this! One day people will celebrate your misunderstood musical/socio-political genius on future Waxidermy-type sites. Until then, until then.

"It's amusing that your undergarments are still twisted over that episode"[/b]

"But thanks for reminding me of your lemming status"[/b]

"I suppose you think this is discourse"[/b]

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    hi matt.

In January of 1991 I think I was still sitting in Sound Arts studio watching the Geto Boys record We Cant Be Stopped.

And it is a point well taken, and I have said it before, this shit has been said over and over and over again for years and hwo cares.

Houston has no stranglehold on anything. Only one artist this year went platinum, with the worst most bullshit CD out of the bunch. ATL artists go platinum all day everyday. Sometimes before they even get out of bed.

We have no stranglehold on anything except for the fact that we used to be a realllly strong independent city. Now we are just another city with platinum aspirations that may or may not ever happen again.

Not hating just stating. I love my city but damn dog.

I put in It Takes a Nation of Millions today while driving to Taqueria Arandas. It's been some time since I have done that and I am not lying, I got a lil choked up during Bring the Noise. I'm not kidding. I was all like DAMN MAN WHAT HAPPENED????

It hurts.

PEACE matt

I never said Houston/stranglehold, I said South. Discourse, Drizzcourse. Fuck all that.

I understand that reading comprehension might be a tall order for the day ( 420 doods) but what I was trying to communicate was that in 15 years, this might be the frustration that southern folks feel. ( act like you don't know)

I could give a fuck either way. get emotional.

have fun dudes.

Vitamin,

I'm not disagreeing that, ideologically, the X-Clan had holes big enough to drive that pink caddy through but you're pretty much - from my perspective - failing to acknowledge that, in their time and place, people really did think the X-Clan were revolutionary. You can snicker at that thought now but in 1990? Motherfuckers thought the X-Clan were The Truth. And seriously - I know Zulu Nation type dudes who still swear by their wisdom.

So yeah man, a LOT OF PEOPLE took their shit seriously. You might find that idea scary or abhorrent but you can't challenge that fact of the matter.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Taqueria Arandas

Arandas Special #1 with the cactus strips or your soft!!!