Let's discuss WINES

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
So, any wines collectros over here? Sommeliers? Or let's just rep our favourites wines.

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Get familiar.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i like sweet wines and bitter beers (go figure)...i had some stuff from australia that was very good at Panorama in Philly recently. Had some reislings as well, dont recall the names of the vineyards though. Anyone familiar with Panorama? They have like 100+ bottles of wine ON TAP.... They do wine flights and the food is really good and reasonable.

If you wanna talk beer i can get specifc and talk about real , but i dont want to intrude on the thread.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Luis Pato. Spanish wine that will open your mind. 1995 or 1999 are prime, but check out any thing from that vinyard.

Spanish and Portuagese (SP) wine are a really good thing to try if your into wine. The complexity of flavor will have you turning your back on Cabs and Merlots.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    My family and I are VERY SERIOUS about wine! MY hommie Eric is the wine critic for the New York Times and every time I go to NYC that dude sets it off with the crazy bottles of wine and champagne. Had dinner at my brother's place last month in Manhattan and we drank 11 bottles of great wine with dinner. Lately I have really been feeling Spanish wines. Riojas are FANTASTIC! Here is a Spanish red we drank at my mom's crib recently. This was Wifey's favorite wine EVAR! Good luck finding a bottle of this!

Vina Real Gran Reserva Cosecha 1970. 1970 was one of the best years for Spanish reds

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I just drank my last bottle of my Bodega Colome Sauvignon Blancs. Not only is Colome the world's highest vineyard, it's organic and thoroughly above average.

One of my favourite malbecs, too.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I'm a fan of drinking moderate bottles from weird French areas - I can't be bothered to cellar anything, so I generally stay away from Bordeaux and Burgandy, but I'm usually quite satisfied with $20 bottles from places like Corbieres, or Cotes de Provence, or just fancier vin du pays d'oc. In Ontario the vintages liquour stores do a pretty good job of making sure that the ones that you can get are good. I also like some less traditional Italian wines, too, like Planeta from Sicily.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it's organic

which is the most important thing to me cosidering wines. even good and expensive wines can be adulterated. organic will definitely leave you without any headache on the next morning. already one glass of a bad wine will make my head explode!

My favorite wine is a wine from Italy. No idea what the name is. It's organic and it's superb! About 7 USD per bottle. Tastes dry and fruity. Very few tannin, so it's not dusty. but still dry.

my favorite sommelier slang: "tastes like horse sweat"

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

My favorite wine is a wine from Italy. No idea what the name is.

Interesting point. Can you have a favorite wine and still don't know it's name?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

You can if it comes in tetra paks.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    on the port tip but this is the truth

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    my favorite wine is cousin larry's leftwing liberal wine.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    It's all about the Austrian reds.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

You can't fuck up a wines thread. Behave yourself or I will start a petition to take you out.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    Rafanelli for dayz. Dry creek private.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You can if it comes in tetra paks.

no, no mix for you!

that wine comes in a bottle. but neither my local supermarket nor the local wine shop sells it. i remember the label. but not the name. same goes for some records. i remember the cover clearly, but not the name...

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Dude you are starting to sound like you have "stalker ex-girlfriend" syndrome.

• My favorites:

Cakebread Cabs-

Dominus Cabs-

Sokol Blosser Pinots, spec. Dundee Hills varietals

Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta 2002

And my favorite right now:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My favorites:

Nice selection paul on the rothschild tip i always like this 'dollar bin' merlot

• Wilamette Valley Pinot Noirs seem to be ones I consistently check for, specifically Eyrie Vineyards.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    My favorites:

Cakebread Cabs-

Dominus Cabs-

Sokol Blosser Pinots, spec. Dundee Hills varietals

Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta 2002

if your taste in records is as good as your taste in wines, you are no doubt a great collectro.

• if your taste in records is as good as your taste in wines, you are no doubt a great collectro.

Thanks, but dude, I drink more than I collect. I should probably be spending more money on records than wine but heck, I'm just into spending my money on all types of food right now.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I dont know much...but I am going up to Napa with my girl and we're doing the tastings...

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    skip napa, go to sonoma county and check out the dry creek region -- no bus crowds, great small label wines, and nice spots for picnics. then get dinner in healdsburg.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I know a decent amount about vino...I got nothing on my pops though...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    MY hommie Eric (Asimov)[/b] is the wine critic for the New York Times

Folks here are not recognizing the real world power moves that is Big Chan's social rolodex.

pcmr - that penfolds is a very good rook, I have a few bottles cellaring.

For those who know.........know

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I know a decent amount about vino...I got nothing on my pops though...

yes, I had a latour last year, definition of face melt.

Chateau Latour! Now THAT is some serious wine folls. I'm going to my Mom's house tomorrow and will take some pictures in the wine cellar and post em on here. We always save the bottles of the real facemelt joints that we drank and I will be sure to photograph some for ya. Latour photos tomorrow.

What up Aser? You good? That Chateau Haut Brion is NICE hommie.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    chan - yao, pop them bottles off

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    skip napa, go to sonoma county and check out the dry creek region -- no bus crowds, great small label wines, and nice spots for picnics. then get dinner in healdsburg.

thanks for the tip!

Aser, you really wanna battle? I will post the wine bottle jpeg fire tomorrow hommie. You can take that to the bank! Here is a sneak preview....