Antique record player

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I might purchase an Antique 1960's Emerson stereo record player. Does anyone have experience with these? I just want it for casual listening in my room. Doesn't have to be loud but crisp clear sound wouldn't hurt.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Ouch

I wouldn't put anything worth more than a dollar on that

I don't think 'crisp clear sound' was invented yet either

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ouch

I wouldn't put anything worth more than a dollar on that

I don't think 'crisp clear sound' was invented yet either

HAHAHA!!!!

seriously though, co-sign. That thing is gonna eat your records.

• That "tone arm" looks like it weighs about 8 pounds...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

That "tone arm" looks like it weighs about 8 pounds...

that's not the tone arm you're seeing in that picture.

• That "tone arm" looks like it weighs about 8 pounds...

that's not the tone arm you're seeing in that picture.

Oops...middle picture. And I'm old enough to remember automatic record changers...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Buy it as an exotic coffee table, but please don't play records on that thing.
    Tonearm counterweight: unchecked
    Antiskating adjustment: unchecked

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

you can take all that stuff out and refit it with new equipment, and even stuff the speakers in the cabinet, they are built that way. You bought it as furniture and then decided what you wanted in it.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Only play Sayer's and Merrill Womach facemelters on that thing yo.

• Merrill Womach facemelters

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

you can take all that stuff out and refit it with new equipment, and even stuff the speakers in the cabinet, they are built that way. You bought it as furniture and then decided what you wanted in it.

Yeah, I'm thinking of that. I originally just wanted a regular record player for casual listening. I'm putting my Technics in a different room in my house and want something for my bedroom. Figured I'd liven up the place a bit but the cost of plain jane low-end record players is a joke. I saw prices of $125 for Radio Shack crap.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I work at a record shop and customers ask all the time where to get a turntable... all I know to tell them is that the ones you can get new for $125 are crap (like you said) and that they either need to keep a close eye on the thrifts or shell out for something nicer...

If you need something now, call up all the pawns and stereo repair joints in your area... you should be able to come up with something... see if one of your older relatives have something they don't use anymore...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

oh snap, is that what I think it is?

diamond in the back
    sunroof top...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    From Consumer Reports ~1956:

I think this one is for 45s.

whoa. yeah, the one pictured is for LPs i believe. its not mine, i jsut saw it somewheres on the innernets.