Software help required for mix recording

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
OK, so right now when I record a mix, I record it out of my mixer on to a mini-disc and then I have to play the whole thing again into the line-in of my computer while a weird piece of shareware (called Total Recall, which doesn't record at that high a bit rate) does the recording. Now I have a Dell PC laptop (that only has a microphone input jack) that I'd like to record with, but I'd like some new software that lets me record at nice bit rates (320 kpbs) and if it could be free so much the better. Needs to be able to record for at least hour-long mixes. I don't really need the ability to edit or anything, I just want to record at a good bit rate.I might still record with the minidisc so I can preview my mixes on the bus, but I'd still really like to get some new software here... can anyone help me out?

Comments

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    See if you can download AUDIO CLEANING LAB from LIMEWIRE if not ask MOM for $40.00 bucks.http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332417&pfp=srch1

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    so you are digitizing twice...why not just buy a soundcard and record directly to your laptop?

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I'd get a decent audio interface first, look for a cheap and used m-audio interface for example. Recording through the built-in mic input is no good, for real.

You can get a free audio recorder/editor/multitracker here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
    http://ggseq.sourceforge.net/HomePage

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Thanks, that's quite helpful... I didn't realize that I needed an extra sound card as I've seen people record directly into their Mac laptops (I guess they have a better built in soundcard?)

Why do things sound ok through line-in, but not mic-in? I thought they were just different impedances, and hence had different signal levels (and then I thought a good recorder could even that out).

the mic in is recording the sound of the room you are in!

built-in line inputs can have decent sound but it's still not the best way to go by a long shot. and since you are recording into minidisc first, then out of minidisc into line-in, you are doing things really convoluted and in a manner than degrades the sound considerably. you are digitizing to minidisc, then converting to analog on the minidisc output, then converting again to digital on the line it. you want to just convert from analog to digital once, preferable through a good soundcard with nice converters.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    the mic in is recording the sound of the room you are in!

built-in line inputs can have decent sound but it's still not the best way to go by a long shot. and since you are recording into minidisc first, then out of minidisc into line-in, you are doing things really convoluted and in a manner than degrades the sound considerably. you are digitizing to minidisc, then converting to analog on the minidisc output, then converting again to digital on the line it. you want to just convert from analog to digital once, preferable through a good soundcard with nice converters.

Yes, for sure it's convoluted... I didn't mind it so much because I like to have mixes to listen to on the bus, and I've also been using the line-in on my work computer to do the final recording. But now I'd like to do the recording at home on my laptop.

oh...that kind of bus! i thought you were talking "buss" as in a signal path. does the minidisc have any digital out or in options? that might make things easier...and if the minidisc has nice sounding converters maybe you can still use it and then do digital transfers from the minidisc recorder.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    oh...that kind of bus! i thought you were talking "buss" as in a signal path. does the minidisc have any digital out or in options? that might make things easier...and if the minidisc has nice sounding converters maybe you can still use it and then do digital transfers from the minidisc recorder.

haha no, the regular bus... unfortunately Sony deliberately handicapped the minidisc so you can't do digital out (they were afraid people would *gasp* illegaly trade mp3s). If you could do digital out I'd be very happy... you can do digital in, but you have to use Sony's crappy software (see: "Minidiscs suck" thread), so I generally only use the player to listen to my own mixes. Sounds like I need to look into these M-audio boxes.