usb for an mpc 2000

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
anybody know if you can install a usb interface on an mpc 2000?

Comments

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I know there is a way with the 2000xl... you have to get a scsi to usb converter, but you have to put something in the chain before the mpc, like mpc->card reader->usb converter.. so really you are just able to transfer files off the cardreader, but I hear that is basically how the 1000 works also..

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I know there is a way with the 2000xl... you have to get a scsi to usb converter, but you have to put something in the chain before the mpc, like mpc->card reader->usb converter.. so really you are just able to transfer files off the cardreader, but I hear that is basically how the 1000 works also..

really? i cant imagine this working. After years and years of trying to figure out the best way to move shit from my computer, i feel like the best option is just to plug into the audio in's and fuckin sample the shit how you're supposed to do.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    well when you think about it, its just putting the usb converter on the card reader, the computer just sees the card as a drive, the mpc really does not come in to play other then the power... so you have to save your files onto the card, then you can transfer them off with the usb..

the dude who runs mpc-forums was talking about it, he said he did it. He said it was more pain then it was worth, because either you have to have a usb cord hanging out of your mpc or you have to put a hole in you mpc and figure out how install the usb plug on it.. But really, if you have a card reader, you can just use the card to transfer the files to your computer..

on a side mpc note, reading the new scratch ?uest talks about how the mpc can "fix" your loop, what is he talking about? Is it that you can change the tempo of a pattern after you record it?

on a side mpc note, reading the new scratch ?uest talks about how the mpc can "fix" your loop, what is he talking about? Is it that you can change the tempo of a pattern after you record it?

hes just talking about timestretching sections i think. LIke if a drummer is off time a bit you chop to the kicks and snares and set them all to an averaged out bpm.

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    im sure you guys already know this but you can burn wave files to a floppy disk
    and then transfer them over to the mpc that way/
    i mean its only 1.44 mb but its still plenty of room.
    sometimes i will sample into pro-tools and do all my precise editing there and then bounce the samples to a folder and send the files over to the floppy drive
    and from there into the mpc.
    even though this seems like a huge deal its actually really simple .
    of course if you dont have a floppy drive on the puter
    well thats a different story.
    peace

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    anyone know if its possible to install a card reader to an asr-10?

• slushslush 691 Posts

im sure you guys already know this but you can burn wave files to a floppy disk
    and then transfer them over to the mpc that way/
    i mean its only 1.44 mb but its still plenty of room.
    sometimes i will sample into pro-tools and do all my precise editing there and then bounce the samples to a folder and send the files over to the floppy drive
    and from there into the mpc.
    even though this seems like a huge deal its actually really simple .
    of course if you dont have a floppy drive on the puter
    well thats a different story.
    peace

yeah, i was doing the same thing, but with zip disks. LOL at floppy's!

But im telling you, its easier and you will get a better sound if you just sample it the old way. Especially if you are messing with a 2000 or 2000xl. You have to pump the levels so hot just to get the drums to bang that way it aint even worth it.

Try loading one off a disk that you sampled from you computer, now sample the same kick straight into the mpc. You will see what i mean.

so wait this is really all you need? I cant just hook that straight to an external drive can i?

• why not dump from soundforge via scsi? I don't have an mpc but on my emu e6400 Ultra it was extremely simple. I am pretty sure the mpc will take samples dumped via scsi.

transferring via midi is way too slow I wouldn't even recommend it.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    tranferring via midi? wtf?

dumping via soundforge?

this is what happens when record nerds talk tech

its insane

• tranferring via midi? wtf?

dumping via soundforge?

its insane

not my fault your too fucking stupid to learn extra shit to make beat making easier.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    tranferring via midi? wtf?

dumping via soundforge?

its insane

not my fault your too fucking stupid to learn extra shit to make beat making easier.

ouch!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    what the

dude you cant tranfer files via midi
    and you dont have to dump shit from soundforge

HERES A TIP FRIENDS

buy that belkin shit

buy a scsi hard drive at your local tech shop
    buy an old crappy cd room that is scsi
    take out the cd rom
    put in the hard drive
    hook up via usb to computer

blap! you now have a drive exclusive to the mpc that can be accessed on your computer to move files. files will load about 10000x faster than a zip. 4 gig drives are abundant and cheap

fffffalll back son!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what the

dude you cant tranfer files via midi
    and you dont have to dump shit from soundforge

HERES A TIP FRIENDS

buy that belkin shit

buy a scsi hard drive at your local tech shop
    buy an old crappy cd room that is scsi
    take out the cd rom
    put in the hard drive
    hook up via usb to computer

blap! you now have a drive exclusive to the mpc that can be accessed on your computer to move files. files will load about 10000x faster than a zip. 4 gig drives are abundant and cheap

fffffalll back son!

propers homey...this works too. I was just tryna not fuck with zips anymore.

no problems going in between OS's though?