R.I.P. Justo (mixtape awards founder-related)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Man, bad news. I got this email from DJ Warrior last night:Official statement from DJ Warrior: [/b]"JUSTO is a person that took mixtapes from the street to the whole world and gave so many DJs their shine. He took something from the street level and created so many opportunities for DJ's to reach an even higher level in the industry. He was THE MOST effective person for mixtapes throughout the whole world. The entire Cali Untouchable DJ's send their condolences. He is in a better place; may he rest in peace. To all the mixtape DJs from all regions: we should come together and do something for JUSTO in his honor and for his family. I would like to thank him for all the advice personally and business wise, this is a big loss for the hip hop world, and especially for mixtapes. I am extremely sadened and still in shock. I can't believe it, its not clicking in my brain fully. I just spoke to him earlier last week and remember vividly that he was speaking about his preparation to go to VA and he was going to be on the road for a minute. He will be missed, JUSTO FASION is a legend. If it wasn't for JUSTO, all mixtape DJ's wouldn't have any place to go and have a gathering yearly for the DJ's. Because of him, so many of us DJ's have gotten world wide recognition. He's a true legend and his legacy will carry on."Courtesy AllHipHop.com By Nolan Strong And Houston Williams-Date: 5/14/2005 3:31 pmMIXTAPE AWARDS FOUNDER JUSTO FAISON DIES IN CAR ACCIDENT:[/b]"Many within the Hip-Hop nation are shocked, saddened and even in denial about the death of Justo Faison. Tragically, Faison, the founder of the successful Mixtape Awards, was killed in a car crash sometime early morning Saturday (May 14).Details remain vague, but sources confirmed with AllHipHop.com that Faison passed away in Virginia, while working doing promotions in the evening. According to some sources, Faison was departing Richmond and was extremely tired while driving to an undisclosed destination.Faison founded the Mixtape Awards in 1996 and helped highlight and reward a previously unrecognized component of the music business - the mixtape..." For whole story read: http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=4386

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn. Very sad news. Justo, R.I.P.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    A client and a really good genuine person, a dude who did alot of good for alot of people and had the right ideas about what is important in this business and what's meaningless gas. Rest in Peace hommie, I'll miss you and so will alot of other people.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    damn that sucks, I'm getting so tired of death, I hate hearing that someone has gone before their time.

RIP man.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Man, R.I.P.

Hopefully people will recognize the importance of dudes contribution to hip hop. The mixtape explosion virtually saved hip hop from playing itself right out if you ask me. All of a sudden it was like the whole country could listen to the radio in new york or atlanta, or Chicago or wherever. It brought that local feel to a national stage and provided a real medium for the unfiltered shit the radio could never play.

Its also changed the way artists communicate with their public and the way new artists get established. Basicly flipped everything around to keep people satisfied in the post CDR post Internet era.

Im glad at least he got to see something he started in 96 blow up to such a massive level. Respect.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i remember when j was just talking about doing that shit and i can remember when he called me on the phone to invite me to the first one...

funny ass motherfucker too... damn i talked to dude last year and it was like he was the same dude... wow im shocked

he was a good friend and someone i called when i needed to when i was in the industry. ive partied with dude and we shared advice all through the 90s. we talked about our fammilies and kids and shit.

when i left the industry at the start of the new century i lost touch with so many people...

wow... i cant write anything else. im really not evenmaking sense right now. shit i can picture his face and hear his voice... im kinda shook right now...
    shit...

peace.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

wow im shocked

Damn. Very sad news. Justo, R.I.P.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Wow, I met him a few times when he was working at Atlantic. He was friends with a couple of my friends. Thats some sad news. He seemed to be a really nice guy.

My respects to his family.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This is really a shame. He was somebody that did a lot for the music.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    This is really a shame. He was somebody that did a lot for the music.

• respect

Rest In Peace