Axelrod Vs Release of An Oath

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I'm an admitted Axelrod hatter, but seriously, can't none of his solo joints fuck with Release of an Oath can they? Am I wrong people? Ill headtrip of a concept album mixing funky psych with baroque string orchestration. Unfadeable. Songs of Innocence? MaybeMessiah? NahSongs of Experience? NoThe Auction? Haven't heard enough of it, I'm leaning towards no. Heavy Axe? EhMarchin? NoStrange Ladies? NoPerhaps this is an appreciation post of an album I had put away awhile ago and decided to buy a mint OG at a show. Don't know why I ever put it away. Dare I say, essential?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Release of an oath is a one, maybe 2 tracker in my books

Innocence shits all over it.

I'd easily take Experience, Earthrot or The Auction over it...

b

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    B*van, say it ain't so!

I like concept albums if they have continuity. This LP isn't all about braeks either for me. It's moving, it's meaningful.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    B*van, say it ain't so!

I like concept albums if they have continuity. This LP isn't all about braeks either for me. It's moving, it's meaningful.

I find all the aforementioned LPs in my post more moving and meaningful than Release Of An Oath...

peace.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I like Release of an Oath as a complete album, but I'd take Songs of Innocence over it. Both are concept albums and they flow well. I'm not an Axelrod hater, but the I don't feel the record game starts and ends with him either.

Both have dope album covers.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Release of an Oath as in that Electric Prunes record ?

if so, then yea its a good album but I prefer Innocence

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

Electric Prunes basically had nothing to do with it. I love both Songs albums too and would rate them just as high as Release of an Oath. I don't really even care about the breakz on them, it's just very interesting music to me.

• Release of an oath is a one, maybe 2 tracker in my books good record, but not great.

I'd easily take [has made me cry]Experience[/has made me cry] over it too.

Earthrot never

The Auction is about as good as Oath

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Release of an oath is a one, maybe 2 tracker in my books good record, but not great.

I'd easily take [has made me cry]Experience[/has made me cry] over it too.

Earthrot never

The Auction is about as good as Oath

That about sums it up. Experience is a heavy record.
    I don't get people who flip flop when a certain artist or genre is no longer en vogue and start shitting all over them.

That isn't directed to anyone in particular, but I've seen it happen on this site. If it's good, it's good. A person shouldn't need a musical babysitter to tell them what to like.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    A person shouldn't need a musical babysitter to tell them what to like.

please don't fire me

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Experience is a heavy record.

will keep my copy of this forever.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Electric Prunes basically had nothing to do with it.

really ? I didn't know. please do tell.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    A person shouldn't need a musical babysitter to tell them what to like.

please don't fire me

HA! good one

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Electric Prunes basically had nothing to do with it.

really ? I didn't know. please do tell.

They were session guys. Not even a real band.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    cool. I didn't know.

thanks

• [quote
    That about sums it up. Experience is a heavy record.
    I don't get people who flip flop when a certain artist or genre is no longer en vogue and start shitting all over them.

That isn't directed to anyone in particular, but I've seen it happen on this site. If it's good, it's good. A person shouldn't need a musical babysitter to tell them what to like.

in a way i think this relates to the tommydigalot sp? thread. when you get a lot of dudes who don't earn their stripes listening and collecting in the field, getting things through the internet, ebay, and sites like this one , you find they can't figure out what's good and what's bad for themselves.

people who started digging before the internet usually sit atop a pyramid of knowledge that they've built by listening to many terrible records and very few good ones.

the one's who need musical babysitters lack the strength of that foundation. my hope is that some manage to reverse engineer it for themselves.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Axes records are definitely the highest level of music, I found my copy of Experience about a year ago and I love it and his other solo records, but I'd have to agree with putting Release of an Oath at the very top. But it's like arguing about which flag is higher up on the top of Mount Everest, innit?

• Mass In F Minor is my least favourite of the lot but that's because the others or so good.

Pride is one of my favourite LP's ever, although a lot of people seem to be fairly dismissive of it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I love Axelrod, and particularly 'release of an oath'.
    but what is the dirt on him? he seemed like he was a pretty suave player within the record industry.
    what do the electric prunes get out of it except have their name attached to it?
    what did other artists (outside of lou rawls and cannonball) think of him?

i'm just curious, because I've never read anyone say anything bad about him--but did any of the people he worked with get screwed over while he got paid?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    There's a million and one Axelrod articles out there, the Wax Poetics thing and an old Big Daddy come to mind. The Electric Prunes didn't get anything out of it - they couldn't read music or play well enough so when Axelrod was contracted as a producer they fired the band and hired the studio musicians we know and love for the other Axe stuff.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I love Release of an Oath, and love it more every time I hear it. I think it's gorgeous and flows beautifully from start to end. Helps me when I'm sad.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i'm just curious, because I've never read anyone say anything bad about him--but did any of the people he worked with get screwed over while he got paid?

the electric prunes!!

they were making a minor comeback right around the time axelrod made his, and in interviews their memories of the whole experience aren't too kind. can't blame them, either - nobody wants to be aced out of their own album.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Holy are you is a sick track, the rest is also alright with me...just had it in the mail this morning, found it on the bay for a decent price...actually my first og axelrod besides that mo wax one
    I love it, is it actually carol kaye on bass on this one? Mass in F minor is neglectable imo....

peace,

s.d.

in a way i think this relates to the tommydigalot sp? thread. when you get a lot of dudes who don't earn their stripes listening and collecting in the field, getting things through the internet, ebay, and sites like this one , you find they can't figure out what's good and what's bad for themselves.

people who started digging before the internet usually sit atop a pyramid of knowledge that they've built by listening to many terrible records and very few good ones.

the one's who need musical babysitters lack the strength of that foundation. my hope is that some manage to reverse engineer it for themselves.

I hope this isn't directed at me. My crates weigh a ton and have been at this for 14 years. I was positing the question because my tastes in music usually do not jive with Soulstrut's, and was curious if my hypothesis about this issue was correct. It was.

• Holy are you is a sick track, the rest is also alright with me...just had it in the mail this morning, found it on the bay for a decent price...actually my first og axelrod besides that mo wax one
    I love it, is it actually carol kaye on bass on this one? Mass in F minor is neglectable imo....

peace,

s.d.

Man, I completely agree about "Holy Are You". An amazing track...one of my favorites ever. I wish the rest of that album attained those heights. Not hating, cos I enjoy it, but that is a sick, sick song.

I also had never heard Axelrod until around the time the MoWax deal came out. There are some great tracks on that album. But I don't own any of his OGs either. I got that "The Edge" comp last year and played the shit out of it. Is an OG "Experience" a triple digit record? I just have cd burns of his solo records, and they get a little spotty after "Innocence"/"Experience". At the very least this thread will have sold an "Experience" reish.

Great thread.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    you can get an 'experience' for around 60 or 70 bucks.. maybe even cheaper

• someone's touchy.

no it wasn't directed at you. i don't know you from adam(no guzzo)

careful lifting your crates, don't hurt yourself.

• Innocence is one of the records I got the first time I went to an actual record show. As a young stoned gentleman that shit blew my fucking head off. Its one of the records that galvanized my desire to search out a shitload of music. I love Experience and Release of an Oath too but Songs of Innocence is just perfect to me.

someone's touchy.

Sol Gut. (umlaht deleted)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    shhhh, i still need to snag a cheap copy off the bay...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i had too much to dream is the best prunes album fules. Oath is very dope, Innocence is very dope