Beach Boys: Smiley Smile question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Don't know if anyone out there can help answer this but:I picked up a copy of Smiley Smile in Denver this past weekend. It's on the Brothers label and says "monophonic" on the back. I've seen very varying prices on copies of this - it seems like the MOST prized is the mono version with the Capitol Records imprint (this was, apparently, a fan club issue) and then next down would be the Brother Records imprint in mono. I'm assuming that's what I have since "monophonic" sounds like, well, mono. However, since this is an album that tends to sell big to completionists and audiophiles, I wanted to make sure before I start listing it incorrectly.Anyone help verify for me?Thanks,Oliver

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Like with the Capitol issues, the catalog number tells the whole story

A 'T' prefix denotes mono, 'ST' is stereo

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I didn't think this record was worth all that much either way?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

A clean mono is a tough catch, I've been looking for manny years now... I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it though (not to say that some wouldn't)

Apparantly that Capitol Record Club issue Dub mentioned is a breadwinner though (black/rainbow Cap label)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Apparantly that Capitol Record Club issue Dub mentioned is a breadwinner though (black/rainbow Cap label)

ahhh... didn't realize there was one with Capitol labels.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

You'd be surprised. I've seen mono copies - on both Brother and Capitol - go for $100, even recently. I figured the mono copy I have must be good enough for at least $50-75 but we'll have to see.