So there goes my whole theory....

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I'm walking out of my favorite local digging spot today and across the street at the Native American Youth Association a kid sidles out the door wearing a cap like this. What I really don't get is how the staff in the place wasn't getting all up tight about it. I was pretty ass hurt by the whole thing since this is one of my biggest racial pet peeves. Do you think my Rabbi will get upset if I try to co-opt one of these.

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Comparing a sports team that exploited the image of native americans to nazi germany which killed many jews, and others they didn't like?

Wow, dude. What?

I think those caps are in poor taste too but really, c'mon.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dood, turn on your sarcasm meter. But seriously, I can't stand the whole Redskins thing but I got face washed on this one today.

Dood, turn on your sarcasm meter. But seriously, I can't stand the whole Redskins thing but I got face washed on this one today.

I had a bad day at work. My meter is out of batteries. I guess what you saw is pretty....

• CAN GUZZO BE IN TWO 8 PAGE THREADS AT ONCE?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    YO PHONIKS, PASS DAT LYRICAL POPCORN THUN

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

What I really don't get is how the staff in the place wasn't getting all up tight about it. I was pretty ass hurt by the whole thing since this is one of my biggest racial pet peeves. Do you think my Rabbi will get upset if I try to co-opt one of these.

Rock that at your family's sader! (kidding)

It won't be any worse than the time Necro spit kosher wine all over the table at a friend's place a few passovers back.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    across the street at the Native American Youth Association

That's where my mother works.

Do you still find stuff at that spot? It seems like it's cleaned out too regularly for me to even bother going there any more.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    For someone not from North America and not up on the whole history of the situation (other than of course the US wiping out many reservations and driving Native Americans to other areas) can someone drop some knowledge on why that image is so offensive? (and before the soulstrut racial police comment, i'm not suggesting it's NOT offensive, i'm just kind of ignorant on the issue and was curious about it)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    across the street at the Native American Youth Association

That's where my mother works.

Do you still find stuff at that spot? It seems like it's cleaned out too regularly for me to even bother going there any more.

Usually not much for the beat heads but I like bad records mostly, so I do well. Really, I just like all the freaks that hang out outside. Ix Nay on the anjobay dudes.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    For someone not from North America and not up on the whole history of the situation (other than of course the US wiping out many reservations and driving Native Americans to other areas) can someone drop some knowledge on why that image is so offensive? (and before the soulstrut racial police comment, i'm not suggesting it's NOT offensive, i'm just kind of ignorant on the issue and was curious about it)

The team's name is the Redskins[/b] which is a very laden and out of date term to describe people of the first nation. Savvy.

Maybe he's reinventing the Redskins hat as a symbol of endearment and gaining power from it. I know a Mexican guy who owns a burrito and bean preparing company. On his license plat, "Beaner".

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

The team's name is the Redskins[/b] which is a very laden and out of date term to describe people of the first nation. Savvy.

I saw at National Geographic Channel that they were called Redskins (the people) because where they lived there were lots of mosquitoes and they used to cover their bodies with red clay to avoid the bites.
    Is this true?

Peace