Hot Off The Record Rumor Mill!

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Local shopkeep stopped in to buy records today. Two interesting tidbits I thought you guys might find amusing:1) He can't keep ECM records on the shelves. Russians are buying them like hotcakes. 2) There is an Osmonds 12" that is worth loot. Need more signs of the apocalypse? Read the above.

Comments

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Local shopkeep stopped in to buy records today. Two interesting tidbits I thought you guys might find amusing:

2) There is an Osmonds 12" that is worth loot.

Need more signs of the apocalypse? Read the above.

ECM doesn't surprise me - everyone knows ECM is

Right?

• girgir 329 Posts
    Local shopkeep stopped in to buy records today. Two interesting tidbits I thought you guys might find amusing:

2) There is an Osmonds 12" that is worth loot.

Need more signs of the apocalypse? Read the above.

Right?

all the hatters are missing out.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    ECM is the new MPS!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Considering that all the Russians in my shop 5 years ago
    were buying Ace of Base 12" and Mystic Moods records, I am
    hardly convinced of their market trend prognostication tactics.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

sarcastic hatting aside, ecm has put out some good records. afternoon of a georgia faun by marion brown? keith jarrett + jan garbarek's many collabs? maybe i'm coming from a different perspective because i grew up with my dad constantly playing that stuff, but i'll take the pepsi challenge on most pre 80s ecm stuff as being a good buy for under 10 dollars.

• RE-COG-NIZE

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There is an Osmonds 12" that is worth loot.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    There is an Osmonds 12" that is worth loot.

Please tell me it's a sick rmx of one bad apple.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    [
    sarcastic hatting aside, ecm has put out some good records. afternoon of a georgia faun by marion brown?

Why does everyone love this record? Compared to his Impulse records it's a complete piffle. Not hatting on Marion Brown, but I seriously wonder if anyone here has ever actually listened to that record!

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Actually, I like some ECM stuff. I'll put some Jan Garbarek on just chill. Jack Dejohnette gets mad props though.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Osmonds-1979-promo-s...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are records that are foreign pressings going for more bank than this though. Illusion Suite is on ECM isn't it? Barring that, and some David Liebman stuff, ECM isn't doing it for me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

There are records that are foreign pressings going for more bank than this though. Illusion Suite is on ECM isn't it? Barring that, and some David Liebman stuff, ECM isn't doing it for me.

Ahhh...

I came across one once. Didn't pick it up.

Side note: Would be nice if everyone took such care. Tho "non-smoking, pet-free home" sounds like aKa "my moms basement" to me.

"As always, from my non-smoking, pet-free home! Obviously I will take the utmost care in packaging this wonderful old record in order to get it to you in the same condition that I have described it. Nothing will be allowed to rattle around and cause damage during shipment. I take great pride in making sure all my parcels are wrapped as well as possible. My feedback attests to this."

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Osmonds. Funky?

SG

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm thinking either drumbreakbeatraer, Northern Soul/Moder, or Popcorn. Still befuddled though.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    ECM records always seem to be in really good shape. Half the time they are still in the shrink wrap and look like they were only played once. This is in fact a pretty good gauge of the musical quality of what is contained within ECM records.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Osmonds. Funky?

Stevie Wonder Medley...............dont sleep........

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was a little surprised that nobody even batted an eyelash when this was posted on the djhistory forum the other day:

Just to let you know The Osmonds - "iii" will be officially re-released on a 12" on Eskimo Recordings in June 2006 !!!

It's been re-edited by Quiet Village...In fact Joel Martin discovered this track back in november 2005 in a dusty old record store in Jersey City NYC...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    RE-COG-NIZE

R-E-M