Will mid to late 70s James Brown ever be good?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I dug up these for the Nth time at the thrifts and finally bought them. I try to be open minded. I dig the moder soul sound and I like disco. And Lordhavemercy I loves me some JB mustache. But I just can't get with these.Anybody? 1975 Reality 1975 Sex Machine Today 1975 Everybody's Doin' the Hustle & Dead on the Double Bump 1976 Get up Offa That Thing 1976 Bodyheat 1976 Hot 1977 Mutha's Nature 1977 Strangers 1978 Jam/1980's 1978 Take a Look at Those Cakes 1979 The Original Disco Man

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Anybody?

1975 Reality

1975 Sex Machine Today

1975 Everybody's Doin' the Hustle & Dead on the Double Bump

1976 Get up Offa That Thing

1976 Bodyheat

1976 Hot

1977 Mutha's Nature

1977 Strangers

1978 Jam/1980's

1978 Take a Look at Those Cakes

1979 The Original Disco Man

Some incredible music is contained on this list

MUTHA'S NATURE might be one of his best LPs

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think I can get with these:

1975 Reality

1975 Sex Machine Today

It's the Bay Ridge Band you've got to watch out for

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Anybody?

1975 Reality

1975 Sex Machine Today

1976 Bodyheat

1976 Hot

1977 Mutha's Nature

1977 Strangers

1978 Jam/1980's

Cosign. Was just listening to Muthas Nature last night. Not his best but a pretty good lp imo.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Anybody?

1975 Reality

1975 Sex Machine Today

1976 Bodyheat

1976 Hot

1977 Mutha's Nature

1977 Strangers

1978 Jam/1980's

digdug will you tell me if I have to pay my taxes already?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I suggest you listen to the following tracks:

1975 Reality - Funky President

1975 Sex Machine Today - Sex Machine Part I & II, I Feel Good, Dead On It, Deep In It

1975 Everybody's Doin' the Hustle & Dead on the Double Bump - Your Love

1976 Get up Offa That Thing - Get Up Offa That Thing

1976 Bodyheat - Don't Tell It

1976 Hot - Hot, Future Shock

1977 Mutha's Nature - Give Me Some Skin, If You Don't Give A Dogone About It

1978 Jam/1980's - Nature

• I dug up these for the Nth time at the thrifts and finally bought them. I try to be open minded. I dig the moder soul sound and I like disco. And Lordhavemercy I loves me some JB mustache. But I just can't get with these.

Anybody?

1975 Reality

1975 Sex Machine Today

1976 Bodyheat

1976 Hot

1977 Mutha's Nature

1977 Strangers

1978 Jam/1980's

send me that reality. mine got warped by my heater (along with such raers: Dennis Oliveri & Galt Macdermont natural hair band)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Anybody?

1975 Reality

1975 Sex Machine Today

1976 Bodyheat

1976 Hot

1977 Mutha's Nature

1977 Strangers

1978 Jam/1980's

Whoa! OK. Well, I can say Mutha's is the one I've liked the most so far. But the others...

I try to view them on their own. You know, simply as records from that time, but its hard not to view them against what JB was doing up to here.

• send me that reality. mine got warped by my heater (along with such raers: Dennis Oliveri & Galt Macdermont natural hair band)

King P- you getting soft in the cold cali weather?? wanna trade raers for an extra comforter?

Whoa! OK. Well, I can say Mutha's is the one I've liked the most so far. But the others...

I try to view them on their own. You know, simply as records from that time, but its hard not to view them against what JB was doing up to here.

Well, my favorite James Brown LP is LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1963

I'm a pretty massive fan, but the records I own off that list all have at least a couple tracks of the calibre of his early 70s releases... that said, some of those records I've never even heard

I've even got a '83 LP on Augusta Sound that brings some heat

1975 Sex Machine Today - Sex Machine Part I & II, I Feel Good, Dead On It, Deep In It

1978 Jam/1980's - Nature

Funny. I was reading your reviews before I posted this. I came away with the impression that you thought everything after Hell was pretty

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

1978 Jam/1980's - Nature

Funny. I was reading your reviews before I posted this. I came away with the impression that you thought everything after Hell was pretty

One nice track on each lp does not a classic make...

1978 Jam/1980's - Nature

Not expecting classics. But to think someone could fall off like that without L Ron requires analyses.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

1978 Jam/1980's - Nature

Not expecting classics. But to think someone could fall off like that with out L Ron requires analyses.

You're totally right - I think that its all after hell, with a couple of nice spots. dunno what happened.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

1975 Sex Machine Today

These three are hot....plesase bring them with you the next time you visit...mine need some minting up! Thanks in advance!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Fatback a lot of those records are good! Seems to me like you have some conservative golden era James Brown fetishes you need to manage.

Those records pale in comparison to Brown's heyday, but I suggest you listen to them. The majority of them have at least one very nice cut on them that makes them worthwhile.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I dug up these for the Nth time at the thrifts and finally bought them. I try to be open minded. I dig the moder soul sound and I like disco. And Lordhavemercy I loves me some JB mustache. But I just can't get with these.

Anybody?

1978 Jam/1980's

These are the albums I have, and I dig all three.

But then again, I'm a JB freak anyway. To me, he could do no wrong through 1986 (and even then, some good stuff leaked out here and there). Half the fun of James Brown's Polydor albums were the surreal mistakes that turn up here and there (like when he tries to persuade Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder to "Take A LOOK At Those Cakes"), so I'm not as down on JB's elpees from this era like most are.

BTW, exactly WHEN did he put out an album called Strangers?

BTW, exactly WHEN did he put out an album called Strangers?

I was going to ask the EXACT same thing.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Bring It On Bring It On Bring It On

• One nice track on each lp does not a classic make...

Not expecting classics. But to think someone could fall off like that with out L Ron requires analyses.

You're totally right - I think that its all after hell, with a couple of nice spots. dunno what happened.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I dug up these for the Nth time at the thrifts and finally bought them. I try to be open minded. I dig the moder soul sound and I like disco. And Lordhavemercy I loves me some JB mustache. But I just can't get with these.

Anybody?

1975 Reality

1975 Sex Machine Today

1976 Bodyheat

1976 Hot

1977 Mutha's Nature

1977 Strangers

1978 Jam/1980's

I can't picture Strangers, but the rest of those are nice. Original Disco Man kinda sucks, and Bodyheat has never been a favorite.

Reality, doesn't that have all the raps between songs? You don't like that record?

Sex Machine Today, You've looked at that cover and still passed it up?

Get up Offa That Thing can rock the house.

Goodness sakes! Take a look at those cakes. His raps on that lp are killing it.

It is time to admit, that you don't really like James Brown because he's not funky enough for you.

On the thrid plant from the sun, trying to get the funky job done,
    Dan

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    Reality is one of my favorite James Brown records.

But this is comming from someone who is into this too:

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    That was like, the first james brown record I could find here in Australia, and for a while there, I was really wondering what the fuss with JB was all about!

Reality is a great LP though!

Fatback a lot of those records are good! Seems to me like you have some conservative golden era James Brown fetishes you need to manage.

Trying to properly rep the Richmond "diggin scene."

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    speaking of "Body Heat"...anybody ever seen "James Brown Future Shock"...the Soul Train-style tv show he hosted right around the time "body heat" was out? it's so crazy...i wish i still had my vhs copy...people were basically breakdancing on there in 1977! and the winner of each dance competition gets a free copy of "Body Heat"...it's hilarious!

speaking of "Body Heat"...anybody ever seen "James Brown Future Shock"...the Soul Train-style tv show he hosted right around the time "body heat" was out? it's so crazy...i wish i still had my vhs copy...people were basically breakdancing on there in 1977! and the winner of each dance competition gets a free copy of "Body Heat"...it's hilarious!

I have a nice tape off the master reels (no commercials or graininess, there's a little timer running at the bottom of the screen the whole time)... JB is NOT prepared to host a show, he doesn't know what he's doing! The dancing generally isn't as impressive as Soul Train's was at the time though

I've still never found a copy of BODYHEAT though

• speaking of "Body Heat"...anybody ever seen "James Brown Future Shock"...the Soul Train-style tv show he hosted right around the time "body heat" was out? it's so crazy...i wish i still had my vhs copy...people were basically breakdancing on there in 1977! and the winner of each dance competition gets a free copy of "Body Heat"...it's hilarious!

I have a nice tape off the master reels (no commercials or graininess, there's a little timer running at the bottom of the screen the whole time)... JB is NOT prepared to host a show, he doesn't know what he's doing! The dancing generally isn't as impressive as Soul Train's was at the time though

Dude hook me UP!

There are a lot of good tracks on most of those albums.. I like that version of Summertime on Mutha's Nature, where he raps with Martha High on the intro. That is Martha High, isn't it?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

I've still never found a copy of BODYHEAT though

DigDug-there are lots of serious funk collectors out there who will pay you money to digitize that video and upload it somewhere...are you up to the task? plaese say yes!

i know somebody who actually found one of the James Brown Future Shock t-shirts in a thrift store!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    speaking of "Body Heat"...anybody ever seen "James Brown Future Shock"...the Soul Train-style tv show he hosted

Oh, hell yes. According to legend, he really expected to unseat Soul Train, but you knew he wasn't gonna make it...the show had weird pacing, and the guests were all artists he himself produced (at least on the episodes I have). And while it was noble of him to have a segment devoted to black history, it sorta drug down the rest of the show. One minute everybody is dancing to "Body Heat" and chanting "WHOOOOOO-OO-OO!," next thing you know there's JB having this out-of-place serious discussion with a local historian, trying his damndest to appear all earnest. Don Cornelius would have handled it better.

Apparently, there was one show where this white guy named Darryl Rhoades*** guested, wearing a pimp suit, calling himself Soul Brother #10 1/2 (or something like that), and having the nuts to sing "Suicide," a dance-craze song that was A JAMES BROWN PARODY. And here he was doing it ON JAMES BROWN'S SHOW. Now THAT'S the ep I wanna see!!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ***Atlanta musician who led the Hahavishnu Orchestra, a band devoted to Dr. Demento-styled novelties
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, wow... I've only got probably 2 episodes (possibly the same ones you have, pickwick) and didn't even know if there was more

But I don't know where it is right now so its gonna be a minute before I can share with anybody (and I can't translate it to digi, either)