A question for the big dude dealers

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I've been asked to sell a 3000 piece jazz collection. I haven't seen it yet. It could easily be 3000 bongos and percussion LPs. Anyway, what sort of fee do you think I should ask for selling the fellow's records? I was thinking about a 25% commission. Should that be more? Less? I have no experience with this.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    You selling the collection as a whole or piece-by-piece? Are you storing or is he?

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    it all depends on what you're selling and how it is sold.

two sides of the scale are:
    killer stuff, selling on Ebay.

vs.

shite, selling to personal connections.
    --------

i'd say 15%-20% for the top of the scale. 25%-50% for the bottom.

does this make sense?

art galleries start at 50%, just ask anthony pearson.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    is he your friend? to add, do you like him enough?

that should be your first thought on what percentage to charge.

also, what are you doing with the collection? ebay? private deals? bulk auction? are you packaging them and taking the money? are you the only one to clean them and check condition?

anyway... if i hand off a bunch of records to a dude im friends with ill split shit 50/50 as long as i dont have to do anything but cash a check. the percentage shrinks the more i have to do.

when selling for a friend i take 15% up to 50% depending on how much work i have to put into it. and really how much the pieces or collection is valued.

• Options
    I do a 1/3 after fees. IS he a friend? If not, do you have the money to back up "my freind in Toronto will buy the whole thing for $xxxx"? That's a lot of records to get rid of. I suggest keeping the cream and flipping the remaining 2300 or so records to a store (still getting your fee, of course).

Reminds of a deal where having seen a collection (and still at dudes house), I called a record store owner in town and had him meet me out side where I off-loaded the crap fro cash and turned around to enter the house and buy the remaining dope shit (and the collection as a whole) with the cash he'd just given me.

Liquid cash used = 0.

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    3000 bongos and percussion LPs.

Refine yourself, fool. MOTHERLODE!

• art galleries start at 50%, just ask anthony pearson.

so do my consignment deals... 25% is not enough. my rates are...

50% for under $40 average
    60% for $40 to $100
    $70% for $100+

i pay all the listing fees and fees associated with the sale of the items.

plus keep in mind that i am providing a customer list of close to 9,000 email address and a history of selling items for above market value.

still... 25% is not enough... unless it is one ripping collection.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    The advice is much appreciated! Thanks. I took AP's rates and reduced them by 10% and the fellow was pleased. Further details make the collection sound fairly promising, at least in terms of not having to spend my days cleaning mould:

The collection is pretty cool. Most of the records are in mint
    condition. Many have only been played once. [ I use to tape them on the
    first recording to avoid the risk of scratching.] some are rare. There
    are a number of cool box sets [ eg the complete frank Sinatra capitol].
    There are some old rock albums, some rare british folk music, and some
    old blues [ blind blake, reverend gary davis etc]. there are some
    country [ eg about 40 chet atkins albums]. I would say that the majority are jazz.

Chet Atkins anyone?

• Options
    That sounds good?!?!?!

This guy in Fredericton?

K.