is it half dope or half wack?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
you know a half-full or half-empty thing... how many of y'all can sit through a track that has really wack parts because the cool parts are that friggin' cool? I am beginning to be able to tolerate face cringing cheesiness to get to the far out parts...most recently for me, Dillards "Sunny Day"....horrible lyrics, some cheesy verse melody, but the harmonies are so cool and the groovy part of word-less backing vocals and echo-y acoustic country-rock trance and loud ass drums are really nice. I can be more forgiving as I get older...what about y'all?

Comments

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i'm more forgiving with music after 2 beers... that's all i know.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Nah man,
    the older I get, the more I cannot tolerate music I think is wack.
    Grumpy old man years, here I come!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    i recently picked up a cuban record that would be oh so hot if they didn't go from funk to waltz at the 45 second mark. They only fox trot or whatever for a mere 4 bars before returning to goodness but jeez... total groove abandon; I can just picture people getting down and then suddenly scurrying off the dance floor by the masses. I'm inspired to do a reedit. How much does it cost to press one acetate?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Nah man,

LOL, I think this is where I'm at too... especially if the vocals are suspect, I can't deal with it... even shitty solos can ruin an entire track for me

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm inspired to do a reedit. How much does it cost to press one acetate?

There was a discussion about this on fryer-mantis.com in the past few days, check it out...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    you know a half-full or half-empty thing... how many of y'all can sit through a track that has really wack parts because the cool parts are that friggin' cool? I am beginning to be able to tolerate face cringing cheesiness to get to the far out parts...

This right here describes 95% of latin moody loops records. As towards sitting through the cheese parts to get to the good parts, only in moderation and at certain times, shits like pulling nose hairs.

latin moody loops records.

I actually enjoy a lot of these all the way through. Where others call it a wrap I keep listening. Sure Germain or whoever gets excited now and then with the overly-dramatic, operatic high notes, but a balada is balada. It comes with the territory.

I actually enjoy a lot of these all the way through. Where others call it a wrap I keep listening. Sure Germain or whoever gets excited now and then with the overly-dramatic, operatic high notes, but a balada is balada. It comes with the territory.

you must be listening to the 5% of tolerable moody loops records then, all I know is when I hear the singing on a Los Angeles Negros type record its like my ear drums are committing suicide. Watch out hi-c, listening to too many baladas will make your testicles recede.

is los golpes olvidarte nunca a 5 percenter?

I don't know, check your nuts. I only put in that 5% in hope that there are some good ones, I sure as hell don't know any!

• How much does it cost to press one acetate?

I know a place you can do it for $40 in LA.

Same place all the beat junkies/stonesthrow dudes get their's done.

PM if you need info.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i'd like more info. i'm in l.a.

much appreciated.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Nah man,

Me too. As my impeccible tastes become further refined over the years I can judge a song's greatness or wackness in a matter of seconds. If a song can hold my attention for more than 3 seconds now then chances are it is pretty good all the way through. This is probably why I only listen to the classical music station on the radio though. Because that music has already had to stand the test of time, and most of the wack shit has been forgotten, so the quality ratio is much higher.

On the other hand, music that seems to really excite soulstrutters I will give more of a chance. I really tried to make it all the way through the first verse of that clipse neptunes song that was posted last week, simply because people were saying it was so great that I wanted to see if I could find any sort of value in it as well. Normally that song would not have made it past the 3 second mark. The soulstrut factor usually adds at least 5 to 25 extra seconds.

Its not that I'm too busy, but rather I find it excrutiating to sit through something that I find dull or annoying for more than a few seconds. I would rather sit in silence. I don't have the patience to try and find some way for a 3-note-synth/808 beat with some dude mumbling over it to move me to any type of emotion beyond boredom.

Although I realize that the "anybody could have made that" factor is actually what makes certain types of music even more charming to some people, it has become a turn off to me. I'd rather be impressed with music that mildly amused by it.

Which means I have become a music snob. I have become old. The day you know you have crossed this bridge is the day that you can name more current "artists" that you can't stand, than current "artists" that you like. Try it!

• Rotary Connection