Lossless File Types b/w That Real Schitt

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
So lemme get this straight.Say I want a good CD burn of Loverboy's Get Lucky album.My friend says "Oh, I got you, no worries"And in less than 5 minutes rips one out of his iTunes and hands methe disc. Nice, huh?But wait. What I am holding in my hands is in fact, Not That Real Schitt.What it is is files originally imported as .wav files, then compressedautomatically by the software into .mp3 and then uncompressed (?) orrather re-converted into .wav files for an audio CD.So that what I am holding is sort of like an effigy recording of Loverboy.right?If you want that real schitt, you need to use a studio or component CD burner .wav-to-.wav or you need to be using software that doesn'tcompress.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    correct.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Maybe I'm not following, but you can do a *.wav to CD burning on every PC CD recorder without going through mp3s first.

Is this what you talking about?

• Maybe I'm not following, but you can do a *.wav to CD burning on every PC CD recorder without going through mp3s first.

I'm really just thinking about iTunes right now, since so many people
    use it. When you put a CD into your iTunes, it automatically compresses
    that schitt for storage, and once compressed (to approx .08333 of the original
    file size) you can't get that deleted information back!
    It's not like the whole .wav file is hiding somewhere on the confuter.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    right.

BUT if the mp3s are 224+ kbit, you really won't notice. A good 192, and you won't notice either.

But when you get things that were mp3s burned to an audio CD than re-compressed to mp3s and burned back to an audio CD to be recompressed to mp3s? That's not good. wav-mp3-wav isn't so bad.

there are formats that will compress file size but not audio quality however. sonic foundry had one with a .pca extension. that stood for 'perfect clarity audio'. I was totally going to jump on board with that one, but nobody wanted to join me. then ipods came out.

Maybe I'm not following, but you can do a *.wav to CD burning on every PC CD recorder without going through mp3s first.

right. it creates a temporary image. i-tunes is not the best converter by any means. there are alot if free programs that will rip cd's to any format you desire.

right. it creates a temporary image. i-tunes is not the best converter by any means. there are alot if free programs that will rip cd's to any format you desire.

can't itunes also import the CD as wav file though? I mean, I do that all the time in winamp...

can't itunes also import the CD as wav file though? I mean, I do that all the time in winamp...
    perhaps, i got rid of it a couple months ago.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This reminds me I was soooo on the LP to Minidisc recording for a while because MD ATRAC format has less compression ratio tham mp3s.

But then the evil mp3 format take on the world.

.flac has been growing in popularity lately.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    its all about this one:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

its all about this one:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

I just wish I could play all these awesome formats in my car. (mp3 CD support - but won't do m4a or anything out of line)

but in all honesty, i've "frequency analyzed" some mp3's in cool edit(which is really cool to check your mp3 and see what is lost in the conversion)and 320 mp3 are almost lossless. compare waves flac and mp3 to see.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    itunes has wav, aiff, and apple lossless (apple's version of flac, ogg vorbis, etc) support.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Has anyone on here checked out the ogg vorbis format?

http://www.vorbis.com/

I haven't used it for a while, but I think it's cool. The open source heads advocate it. I think they use it for sound in computer games to avoid paying license fees for using the proprietary .mp3 format. It's not lossless like FLAC, but it sounds au-right to me for a lossy codec.