Carrboro Record Show rundown (NCR)

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I set up a table at the Carrboro Record Show yesterday. Some "highlights":- Sold $550+ of records- Strutters misterc and digdug showed up and bought stuff. - NC soul 45 dons J*son P*rlmutter and L*w St*nley showed up and didn't buy stuff.- Met the owner of Scorpio Records (NJ), now living in Durham NC. If you wanna make a guess as to what records he's bootlegging - uh, REISSUING - next, he said he needed a copy of the first Ananda Shankar album to scan, and bought Hugo Montenegro's WONDERLAND, Fela "Teacher Don't Teach us Nonsense" 12", Diamond D "Best Kept Secret," and Black Sheep "Choice is Yours" 12".- Sample haggle with older 45 collector: "Now you gonna give me a good deal on these, right?" "Yep, I'll give you a good deal, no problem."(stares at me)"HOW GOOD A DEAL?"- I sold Midnight Movers DO IT IN THE ROAD LP for $30. Should I have held out for more?- The vegan wrap I had for lunch from Weaver St. Market across the street was WEAK.Here's what it looked like (cute hipster girls didn't show up until the last 2 hours of the show):Here's what I bought for myself ($80 total):Oops.. didn't have space for Leonard Feather Presents The Sound of Feeling with Oliver Nelson LP on Verve (promo) and the import press of Bauhaus THE SKIES GONE OUT w/ bonus "Ziggy Stardust" 12"So I had a good time, made money and got some good wax. But overall, the show was pretty weak; there were not many dealers, and there were few impressive records to buy. I had more 45s to sell than anyone else, but hardly anyone bought them, even though I unloaded almost $400 worth of the little guys in NYC just the other month. The record market down here is a lot different than up north, that's for sure. Here's hoping the two record shows this coming weekend are better.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    WEAK is right

I knew you were gonna clean up, having more and better stock than anybody else there by a long shot... got me wishing I'd purged and gotten a table as well!

Still, I managed to spend over a hunnert, but at least half of that was with Marco... and I didn't even have the patience to go through half his boxes (and no 45s)

The other half was on this DJs collection of 80s/90s rap & house... pretty sure I was the first to hit it (the records were put out late)

I wouldn't bank on next wknd being any better though bruh...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The other half was on this DJs collection of 80s/90s rap & house...

ha.. I totally missed that! Anything "mad decent"?

Actually it might. The Austin show was this past weekend so a few area dealers might have skipped out on Carrboro because of that. In fact, Gerry who puts on the Carrboro show had originally planned to have it NEXT weekend for that very reason... until I told him that the Showlogic events were happening!

"Dammit!" he said. "That guy moved his shows to my date on purpose!"

The other half was on this DJs collection of 80s/90s rap & house...

ha.. I totally missed that! Anything "mad decent"?

Nothing absolutely bananas... but very good titles for very cheap. And in nice shape. Alliance LP, Masters of Ceremony LP, early Redman 12", 45 King LP, Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud, Frank Ski, Trax stuff, etc

Actually it might. The Austin show was this past weekend so a few area dealers might have skipped out on Carrboro because of that.

Hm. Good to hear, though I can't go throwing around a whole bunch more dough on records now, dammit. Maybe I'll try to slang some wax in the parking lot to raise funds

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

I'm from Chapel Hill, Durham area originally. In London now but erytime I go back to North Crack I leave with a crate. NC's great diggin, many barely touched spots if you know where to look..but record prices are so low around there I can't imagine it would attract a lotta dealers. But you buy for so low you can easily flip em out here...

I forgot to comment on the supreme lack of etiquette at this show... I can't remember it ever being so bad

Perhaps its cuz there were so few records on hand...

A friend told me she had a dude snatch a record right out of her hand

Dudes old and young were crowding tables and eyeing the credits very carefully on Marshall Crenshaw records while I'm patiently waiting to peer at the boxes myself...