1970s TV Commercial Funk

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Hey,This LP has taught me one thing: The 70s were funky in all facets. There's this track on here for Shell Tires that has Shaft-esque wah wah, but with a sound all its own that is pretty fucking dope. Car commercials in the 70s must have been a trip, food and cosmetics commercials seem to be tepid though. This LP is actually put out by Folkways, which is kinda weird but understandable to me (I always figured them to be folk and "ethnic" records, but I guess their repertoire was larger). This reminds me of a weird thing actually. I listen to this radio show in town, and for the traffic report they'll play "Theme To SWAT", but no matter what, they won't let the super funky breakdown part play in the background. What the fuck is up with that? Fucking bitches. Let me have my Thug Paradise samples raer!

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    There was a documentary about Germany's biggest soccer club "Bayern M??nchen" in 1975 and one training scene had some crazy ass library beat with a superfunky guitar and the beats were just raw. I wish I could see that again, let alone know if this beat exists on vinyl...and yes indeed, the 70's were funky in all facets...you just got to be funky in 70's while in the 80's you could/were be a bit more computerized...fo reel...btw, I'm listening to don alias drums now

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This LP is actually put out by Folkways, which is kinda weird but understandable to me (I always figured them to be folk and "ethnic" records, but I guess their repertoire was larger[/b])

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

These are some german comercial music compilations which are brilliant. You cant get the humor of the lyrics but the music is dope as hell. Funky shaft stuff for Ford, drumbreaks for leather shoes, soft soul for cosmetica and latino rhythms for nescafe.

Peace
    Hawkeye