Vonage

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Yall got that shit? How is it?Shit is mad cheap. They bout to eat Verizon's food (at least, as far as my biz is concerned)

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Son, don't risk it.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    my fiance's parrents got this, and Verizon gave their number to someone else, so for the first two months. I would call her at her parents and get some other guy in Queens. And I'd say "I'm sorry wrong number" but then I realized it was the same guy and I'd say "Im sorry, is this 718-547-XXXX" and he said "yes". Sometimes Id get her mom and dad, and some times Id get the guy. It took like two months to straighten it out.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    chirp

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    really? My mechanic's son swears by it, he's mad tech-savvy.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    maybe they got it together, her parents got it right when it came out, cuase her dad thinks he's all tech savy too. I think all russian guys think they are tech savy.

yo basically they are less than HALF the cost of my Verizon phone line. Like, $75/mo cheaper. We're talking business rates here, residential is much less. They will give me a free fax line. Verizon is trying to charge me $200 just to install it! That's yaper dude!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Do that Vonage. Just stay the hell away from Sunrocket!!!

really? My mechanic's son swears by it, he's mad tech-savvy.

My "tech-savvy" co-workers swear by it too. Even tried to get our company to get with it... They implemented some Internet telephone system with these wacky wi-fi phones and it sounded horrible. big boys use telephones. My wife's friends have it and hate it ... If you have a home office or some shit, maybe... but if it's for Good Records stay with the telephone. It's not worth the risk IMHO.

Dude... $200 just to install my fax line... that's some bullshit!

It's that bad though? Anyone with a good experience?

Give it a few more years.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    its a hit or miss service, it works wonders in some areas/buildings and horribley in others. i dont swear by it, but i recommend trying it and seeing if it works, because you can save HELLA-loot.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    My sister has it. Occasionally when you try to call someone with it, you just hear some clicks and it never goes to ring. Calling back does not seem to help, you gotta just wait til later. If I had a need for something besides a cell, I would do it though. Calling out never seems to be a problem and as long as you have a cell, people can call when it isn't working. I say do it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I can't speak about Vonage, but get some Verizon manager on the phone about that $200 fee and see if you can't negotiate that shit down, and pull Vonage's offer as a negotiating tool. You might be surprised how much you can get knocked down or even get the whole thing 'credited'. My wife is the queen of this tactic.

Never hurts to try!

I can't speak about Vonage, but get some Verizon manager on the phone about that $200 fee and see if you can't negotiate that shit down, and pull Vonage's offer as a negotiating tool. You might be surprised how much you can get knocked down or even get the whole thing 'credited'. My wife is the queen of this tactic.

Never hurts to try!

Yeah this is next on the list. Last time I tried, a manager wasn't "available" and would "call me back". Of course, I never received a call.

My sister has it. Occasionally when you try to call someone with it, you just hear some clicks and it never goes to ring. Calling back does not seem to help, you gotta just wait til later. If I had a need for something besides a cell, I would do it though. Calling out never seems to be a problem and as long as you have a cell, people can call when it isn't working. I say do it.

Duder.. You are running a business. Timmy Spendalot is in town for a week and wants directions to your shop. No Answer, just clicking sounds. Oh well, Off to TSL!

Duder.. You are running a business. Timmy Spendalot is in town for a week and wants directions to your shop. No Answer, just clicking sounds. Oh well, Off to TSL!

I know. That's not an option. I'm gonna try Vonage (money back guarantee) without altering my current service with Verizon, and if it works then I'm switching.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

this is why we went back to bell south land line at work. clients dont want clicks, they want to talk to you.

this is why we went back to bell south land line at work. clients dont want clicks, they want to talk to you.

Ugh, serious? WTF. There's gotta be a better way.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Ugh, serious? WTF. There's gotta be a better way.

we just had a horrible experience, ive heard wonders about Vonage. we just couldn't get it to get a good connection, it would sound like we were in outerspace on the other end, and people had trouble connecting into us once and a while. we just went the safer way, rather than the cheaper.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Why get a fax line?

My work has some software that allows you to run everything through the computer. So you can pick out what you wanna print off or send. Helps a ton with bullshit junk faxes.

I already have a fax, as part of my printer all-in-one. I send like 3 faxes a month. It doesn't warrant another line, but I do need the functionality on my phone line... hence the problems, because verizon will not do that.

Alright, I just ordered that shit. 100% money back, temporary line (so my normal line is still in service).

I will let yall know how it pans out.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Not really related, but do you get a lot of people calling for directions or is it more word of mouth?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Just wondering whty anyone needs a fax these days?

Not really related, but do you get a lot of people calling for directions or is it more word of mouth?

Nah I do. Not a TON, but at least once a week someone's calling to figure out where Imiz.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Nah I do. Not a TON, but at least once a week someone's calling to figure out where Imiz.

How does that compare to the number of people calling to get a record deal?

Not close. I get like three-four a day for record deals!

I got a woman the other day asking about 'Ye's wardrobe - for her son, who wanted to be similarly dipped for prom. I had some fun with that one...

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

I got a woman the other day asking about 'Ye's wardrobe - for her son, who wanted to be similarly dipped for prom. I had some fun with that one...

Jon, did you ever watch that video that girl sent you?

(you posted a photo a while back - she mistook your store for Kanye's music label)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You transferred her to Young Phonics?

You transferred her to Young Phonics?

No - I told her I was Young Phonics!

... ok, just kidding.

I told her I was King Most, Badassed DJ to the STARS and that I knew 'Ye very well.

I assured her he only cops Dolce, and that he does so only in Italy.*

*part of this post is accurate.