Do they even play NYC rap in NYC anymore?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Shit is really kinda sad to look at a hot97 hot 100 playlist and see like 2 NYC rappers outside of Jigga and 50 on there. Im really thinking Jay needs to come back just to get shit a little bit popping again. NYC needs its swagger back in the worst way. COmments? Especially from people that live there?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I mean really, purple city and jim jones "Trap"? This shit seems like a really last ditch effort. Just biting jeezy's whole style!

NYC rappers need a new style real bad! ANybody got one?

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I dont live in NY, but I remeber a time when there was no media coverage of NY rap. It was all Westcoast and I thought that this was the end of NY rap and my favourite eastcoast sound.

And than out of the dark came Nas, Wu-Tang, Biggie, DITC, Gangstarr and so on.

This is just a phase, it will end and than something diffrent will come out of NY.

After that other areas will pop up in the mainstream, bay area, the cold-north and what else regions you got in the states.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    So let me get this straight... there are ZERO elements left in NYC? I think the P Bros need to make beats for Jay-Z then all will be saved.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NYC needs its swagger back in the worst way.

Judging nyc rap by hot97 =

Why does NYC have to comeback?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    COmments? Especially from people that live there?
    Don't wurrry bout it, dude. No one's asking "what happened to g funk."

Hot 97 is not a reflection of NYC. Diplomats get a little rub almost every time I'm out. NYC keeps Raggaeton in buisness.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Shit is really kinda sad to look at a hot97 hot 100 playlist and see like 2 NYC rappers outside of Jigga and 50 on there.

They don't play rap at all--only reggaeton.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

I saw him and RZA when I was at the liquor store on Friday night (it was next door to a club in Harlem called Zip Code)...Perhaps they were looking for inspiration?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i heard jay-z is working with dre for his next record? would that count as nyc rap if a west coast producer is involved?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Shit is really kinda sad to look at a hot97 hot 100 playlist and see like 2 NYC rappers outside of Jigga and 50 on there.

Im really thinking Jay needs to come back just to get shit a little bit popping again. NYC needs its swagger back in the worst way.

COmments? Especially from people that live there?

U mad at all the Dem Franchise Boyz love on hot 97?

Snap to it!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I think the P Bros need to make beats for Jay-Z then all will be saved.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I saw Dem Franchise Boys on tv a few Saturday nights ago on "Showtime at the Apollo." Now, while I admit I'm not a good judge of rap groups, based on the crowd reaction alone, dem boys were kinging shit.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I saw Dem Franchise Boys on tv a few Saturday nights ago on "Showtime at the Apollo." Now, while I admit I'm not a good judge of rap groups, based on the crowd reaction alone, dem boys were kinging shit.

I went to a filming of Showtime at the Apollo a few weeks ago with some girlfriends...We saw Heather Headley perform, but D4L was performing immediately afterwards and people were lining up all the way around the block. There was a group on Amateur Night from Atlanta who I wouldn't be surprised to see blow up--you could see the stripper dances in the audience right and left.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think the P Bros need to make beats for Jay-Z then all will be saved.

BK-BX connection!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I mean really, purple city and jim jones "Trap"? This shit seems like a really last ditch effort. Just biting jeezy's whole style!

This is surprising? I like the dips but they've always been pretty relentless trend hoppers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There's a fairly new bar in my neighborhood where all the 21-30 year olds go. I went a couple of nights ago and I heard 85% NYC uptown stuff. Not once did Brucie B play any southern/westcoast stuff. And this was 2:00 in the morning. I was actually anticipating some other regions, but I guess "Shaquanda & friends" dont give a fuck.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    you could see the stripper dances in the audience right and left.

I've always wondered why you don't get close up crowd shots during the show. Definetly no MNN after hours reggaeton concert footage.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    NY goes thru phases

remember when HOT 97's format was "booty" shit...like 95 South and Tag Team and shit like that...sometimes theyd lace Wu in there

back when Red Alert had his show on KISS FM...but the reception wasnt as good...

then Flex would play good shit....

a few years later he started playing the same shit and coming up with stupid catch phrases and rewinding the record 8 million times without playing the song

then ummm

yea

nY is ok sometimes

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

nY is ok sometimes

New York's alright...

if you like saxophones.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Maybe I'm just not getting it, but what singles out NYC from the rest of America? Is NY supposed to immune from outside influences?

The only local records played here are the ones being recieved and pushed nationally by the majors.

This is just the radio game period no matter where you go.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

nY is ok sometimes

New York's great...

but only if you like (human) women.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

nY is ok sometimes

New York's great...

but only if you like (human) women.

I'm more feeling the hybrids. Don't act like you wouldn't.