Is It Because I'm Black 2006 ?

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Dusty Groove offers material from a "reactivated Twinight Records",bold emphasis in description mine :Syl Johnson -- Is It Because I'm Black (limited edition) . . . CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 415992)Twinight Records, Late 60s Condition: New Copy View Cart An incredible new version of Syl Johnson's classic album Is It Because I'm Black -- packaged here with a huge number of bonus cuts in a collection designed by Syl himself! The core album is one of the best ever soul albums to come out of Chicago -- and it may well be one of the best soul albums to ever come out of the 60s! Syl Johnson mixes west side bluesy soul with some great Chicago soul arrangements by Jimmy Jones & The Pieces Of Peace -- and the result is one of the heaviest soul albums you'll ever hear -- hard-hitting and funky one minute, sweeter and more groovy the next -- a wonderful portrait of the depth of Chicago soul at the time. Added to the original album are some tracks from later years -- including a 2006 remake of "Is It Because I'm Black",[/b] some more conventional southern soul numbers from the early 70s, and Johnson's seminal 80s groover "Ms Fine Brown Frame". 20 tracks in all -- with titles that include "Right On Sister", "Is It Because I'm Black", "Kiss By Kiss", "One Way Ticket", "Get Ready", "Black Balloons", "Walk A Mile In My Shoes", "Concrete Reservation", "Talk Bout Freedom", "New Day", "Your Love Is Good For Me", "That Is Why", "Together Forever", and "Tell The Truth".

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Added to the original album are some tracks from later years -- including a 2006 remake of "Is It Because I'm Black",[/b]

This isn't the 05 Bloodfire broke'n'beat mix then?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    And who do I shake my head at for mispelling Donny[/b]'s name?

BRING IT ON BACK, SYL!

• And who do I shake my head at for mispelling Donny[/b]'s name?

yeah,

not sure how literally to take this, but:

"packaged here with a huge number of bonus cuts in a collection designed by Syl himself! [/b]

Not trying to take away Syl's shine, he is still putting in
    work and rappeng dirty here in Chicago.
    I'm just kind of curious about the contents of the 2006 remake
    of the title song. Paging pickwick33...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    not sure how literally to take this, but:

"packaged here with a huge number of bonus cuts in a collection designed by Syl himself! [/b]

Not trying to take away Syl's shine, he is still putting in
    work and rappeng dirty here in Chicago.
    I'm just kind of curious about the contents of the 2006 remake
    of the title song. Paging pickwick33...

I had never heard of this album till I saw this thread earlier today, but judging by some of those titles, those appear to be latter day Twinight singles (1970-72) from just before Syl left the label. As for "New Day," I seem to recall Syl telling Robert Pruter in Goldmine magazine that this was the title track to an unreleased Hi album he did in the mid-70's, when Hi was changing distributors (from London to Cream).