Ghostface: The Champ, original version ID

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Yeah, this is a type question but here goes anyways:On the ORIGINAL version of "The Champ," what version of "Fever" is being used? I'm not trying to hunt; it's for a story I'm working on.I've upped the file for you to peep if you haven't already: http://o-dub.com/sounds/soulsides/champ.mp3The LP version is actually pretty close to this - minus all the dialogue. They couldn't clear the original sample so they got a band to replay it and personally, I think it turned out great on the final LP but I was interviewing J-Love today and he thought the OG version sounded better. There's also a 2ND version that's on J-Love's "Hidden Darts 3" which is slightly different than the 1st and final versions.Danke!Oliver

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "you're burning up like David Koresh"

funny.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Who wanna battle the god? I'm James Bond in the Octogon, with two razors."

I don't even know what that means but that shit sounds
    "you're burning up like David Koresh"

funny.

seriously though. when the shit is pitched up that far it's pretty hard to tell... man? woman? little willie john? alvin robinson? peggy lee live boot?

---

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    seriously though. when the shit is pitched up that far it's pretty hard to tell... man? woman? little willie john? alvin robinson? peggy lee live boot?

---

I was thinking it was the Patti Drew version. I only have that on one of the "Blue Juice" comps - it might have been 45 only, but I don't remember for sure. In fact, all the Patti Drew material I have is on comps. Can someone tell me how many records she did? I've never seen any of her albums, not even in the US - do they turn up in the field much Stateside?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

---

I was thinking it was the Patti Drew version. I only have that on one of the "Blue Juice" comps - it might have been 45 only, but I don't remember for sure. In fact, all the Patti Drew material I have is on comps. Can someone tell me how many records she did? I've never seen any of her albums, not even in the US - do they turn up in the field much Stateside?

patti drews albums turn up on the eastcoast pretty often.......theirs a spot out here that has multiples of "tell him" and the album after that.

actually, now that I think about it - the voice sounds a little like Esther Phillips - she did 'Fever' twice - once on Atlantic & once on Kudu.

The thing is: not every version of "Fever" has those horns or guitar.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

---

I don't think she's really an album artist--I have Wild is Love, the LP with "Beggar for the Blues" on it, and that is the only cut that even comes close to being listenable.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Sounds like Patti Drew. Could confirm if I was at home....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

---

I don't think she's really an album artist--I have Wild is Love, the LP with "Beggar for the Blues" on it, and that is the only cut that even comes close to being listenable.

Exactly: the LPs are not desirable, some of the 45s are tough to find though... it took me years to get the Hard to Handle single (and I may have gotten it from Agent45 actually)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Why y'all stuck on "Laffy Taffy"/wondering how did y'all ni**as get past me.

that's what I'm wondering these days.

Even my hand got taken to jail/for writing murder.

OK I'll stop now. I know I am no way contributing to the sample ID discussion with these quotes.

That said, I like the final LP version better simply because the rhymes are better.

"Y'all still eating bacon."

I went and listened to the Patti Drew - pretty sure that's not it. Didn't hear the guitars at all, nor the right horn loop (though I needle dropped around the song so maybe I missed something).

I went and listened to the Patti Drew - pretty sure that's not it. Didn't hear the guitars at all, nor the right horn loop (though I needle dropped around the song so maybe I missed something).

check out a clip of the Esther Phillips Kudu version here:

http://www.mp3.com/albums/112247/summary.html

---

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

---

Exactly: the LPs are not desirable, some of the 45s are tough to find though... it took me years to get the Hard to Handle single (and I may have gotten it from Agent45 actually)

The LP that Fever and Hard to Handle are on, "I've Been Here
    All the Time," is pretty damn good. I like her ballad work, and the cover
    of Grass Roots Midnight Confessions is a real treat, IMO.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

---

Cool. I've often wondered about her albums. A few of her tracks have been comped on those Capitol Rare/Blue Break Beats/Blue Juice albums down the years, including "Beggar For The Blues" (which I really like), and her version of "Hard To Handle" is a proven ladies' favourite when I play out. I've never been able to find out much about her beyond those tunes, and she's rarely mentioned here, which ought to tell me something, I suppose.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    It turns out that it's Sharon Cash[/b] and is on the "Even Mo' Mod Jazz" comp. on the Kent label.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

---

Cool. I've often wondered about her albums. A few of her tracks have been comped on those Capitol Rare/Blue Break Beats/Blue Juice albums down the years, including "Beggar For The Blues" (which I really like), and her version of "Hard To Handle" is a proven ladies' favourite when I play out. I've never been able to find out much about her beyond those tunes, and she's rarely mentioned here, which ought to tell me something, I suppose.

I like "Beggar for the Blues," too... one reason why I found the rest of the record so disappointing.

Great cover, though: