Hip-hop and proper grammar in Singapore

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I would LOVE to know what Hip-Hop music Lee Hsien Loong plans on using to teach the youth of Singapore proper English and grammar! Ghost Face? M.O.P.? Geto Boys?Big Tymers, Little Weezey and the whole Ca$h Money Crew? I have NEVER heard a "Hip-Hop" song that involved proper English and grammar. Maybe he is going to start some new grammatically correct rap crew and have them tour Singapore. These fools could do a remake of the courtesy song! LOL From allhiphop.comSingapore's Prime Minister Urges Use Of Hip-HopBy Nolan StrongDate: 5/13/2005 9:30 am Singapore???s Prime Minister has launched a nationwide campaign utilizing Hip-Hop to stop the spread of ???Singlish,??? a mixture of English and local dialects. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the mixing of the languages is a major issue, because it could leave Singaporeans unintelligible.Loong urged teachers to use pop songs and Hip-Hop music to teach proper English. "Speak in a normal Singapore tone, which is neutral and intelligible," Loong said. "But speak in full sentences, with proper sentence structure." According to published reports, Loong???s administration started their campaign against the ???Singlish??? dialect in 2000. The government blamed a popular TV character named Phua Chu Kang for the rise in bad grammar among the population.Loong has been criticized in the past for various social engineering campaigns aimed at the Singaporean population.

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    lol singapore - when I was there there was a regular column in the newspaper on how to speak proper English - they'd have a phrase in English and a phrase in Singlish side-by-side:

We are hungry.
    We all hungry-laa.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I wonder if they can tie this in to their program to increase the fertility rate...

BABY MAKIN' MUSIC.