how do you organize your records?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
i used to keep EVERYTHING in ABC--all genres mixed in one big shelf.then it grew and i split up into genres. also due to space issues...but now i have plenty of space.now, i've split off the 12" singles in their own sections, but i'm having a hard time sorting between 12" singles and EPs. some of my 12" EPs have 3 tracks, but some 12" "singles" have 4 to 6 tracks. So does this go with 12s or the albums? Maybe not a good example? i also made a various artists section. do mixes go in the various artist? well, hmmm...i have a madlib comp that is just selected songs. that means z-trip and josh mixes should go in various artists too right? and what about those dancehall shits where 10 DJs are using the same riddim? is that a various artists? or should it be filed under the producer?

Comments

• Options
    For some of the more notable labels in reggae, I do it by producer (Glen brown, Lloyd Barnes, Perry, Coxsone, Duke Reid, PHill Pratt, Niney, Buster. Pablo).

Reggae LP's and 12's are seperated but note in any order.

Jazz, Hiphop, Soul, and Rock LP's are all seperated and alphabetical (and for some reason, I have all my Brazilian LP's in with the JAzz). Disco/modern soul LP and 12's are seperated but not alphabetized.

Funk, Soul, modern soul, West Indian, African, Latin, reggae soul and inbetweener reggae 45's are in their own sections.

Lp's and 12's I play out (high quality raer) are in 5-6 crates of wooden 1950's Canada Dry crates i bought while in Fredericton for University.

The stuff I have for sale is simlarly organized.

K in Canada.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I doe Genre, then alpha, but as you know, it mostly ends up stacked on the floor if I play it a lot or play it out.

the trickiest part is 12"s, because there is so much overlap in genres (dance, hip hop,combinations of the two)

I end up just organizing those by shelf (stuff I play out vs stuff I just got or stuff I MAY play out eventually and wanna keep)

Oh, and free jazz in the crawl space in the attic

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am kind of getting rid of any disco/soul 12"s due to serato, unless it holds real special value to me or is like an only known copy or something. So basically I've got hip-hop 12s & LPs together, then soul/funk, jazz, latin, brazilian, african, rock, reggae... LPs separated by genre. 45s separate (obviously), and any disco LPs are in with the soul stuff.

My personal collection, with the advent of my shop, has basically become only stuff that I either listen to a lot or hold in personal value, so it's a lot easier to organize... I've gotten back down under 2,000 pieces and the aforementioned focus on albums (and 7"s!) has helped.

Of course, I'm never home so 60% of my collection is on the floor in front of the shelf.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i have a madlib comp that is just selected songs. that means z-trip and josh mixes should go in various artists too right?

Dispose of these ==> vexing problem solved