Afro-American Jazz Dance LP

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Found this today and didn't expect much but WOW...the cuts "Lennox" and "White Sound" were great on first listen.....is this known/unknown....common/rare????

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    known/rare

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Evanston, IL rare

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Is it me or does that bird look like he's surfing? Now, that's a nice idea for my next taxidermy project.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    awesome record!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Is it me or does that bird look like he's surfing? Now, that's a nice idea for my next taxidermy project.

Surfin' Bird dude!!!

This is the first time I've ever asked this here......but since Austin is this week and I'll probably bring it down with me.....

200-300?

• The same record also later came out on Kimbo with a different cover and re-titled "Afro-American Jazz Rhythms." Johnny Frigo's name doesn't appear anywhere on the later issue.

"Apollo" and "Lennox" appear on the Johnny Frigo comp that Ubiquity put out a few years ago.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    200-300?

I think that's too high. I've seen one or two go on eBay for less than $100. The Groove Merchant had one a while ago but don't remember the price. I'm pretty sure it was under $200 though.

well, its the toughest Orion LP to pull imo. we'll call it 200 and thats a wrap. The Ubiquity comp is what made it HOT

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There were a bunch of ebay copies about 4 mo back. I copped one for $75, buy it now, and was surprised that the other copies I saw were not selling for much more.

Btw, the Kimbo's version of this lp has a completely diff b-side. Only the a-sides are the same. Both have "apollo".

I remember when Jake One had the Orion Lp for $50 (or mebbe it was 75. I should have scooped that back in 99).

Oliver

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The same record also later came out on Kimbo with a different cover and re-titled "Afro-American Jazz Rhythms." Johnny Frigo's name doesn't appear anywhere on the later issue.

"Apollo" and "Lennox" appear on the Johnny Frigo comp that Ubiquity put out a few years ago.

Indeed. I have the Kimbo issue and it is really good.

• Btw, the Kimbo's version of this lp has a completely diff b-side. Only the a-sides are the same. Both have "apollo".

Oliver

I think they retitled a couple songs ("White Sound" became "Peace", "Black Sound" became "Cool"), but it's the same music.

Thanks guys....I'll go with $75 and hopefully Meaty can come down to Austin in the Fall to partake in the bargains!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Btw, the Kimbo's version of this lp has a completely diff b-side. Only the a-sides are the same. Both have "apollo".

Oliver

I think they retitled a couple songs ("White Sound" became "Peace", "Black Sound" became "Cool"), but it's the same music.

Interesting - I guess I didn't bother to listen to 'em side by side.

Brw, M***, you need copies of my cd for the station?

Here's a pic of the Back cover of the Kimbo issue, just for the sake of comparing the tracklisting.

• Brw, M***, you need copies of my cd for the station?

word billy. and for delf.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i posted mp3s of this in the real headz forum a while ago along with Chicago Jazz Rock...but i dont have them anymore.

great record, goodwill find for me.

Just looking at the tracklisting difference between the original release and the Kimbo (kids educational) release, I'm wondering if they changed the 2 track names (white sound and black sound) because of the racial undertones of the titles.

Anyone else think that?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    "black sound" is the cut! delayed out wah wah is for me. I sold one for around $120 a few years back. For some reason this record is mentioned on lysergic lama clipart site.