HYPHY MOVEMENT GRIPS NYC!

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Motherfucking Funk Flex playing "18 Dummy" Friday night, 11 pm. That's prime radio time here. Insane.It was less surprising to see the crowd get loose to "Tell Me When To Go" doubles at my spot, but still...Dudes, it's hitting out here. Stand up and be proud!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dudes, it's hitting out here.

Brucie B didnt spin any of it last night, up in the Bronx.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

heh heh... file under "THAT REAL SCHITT" b/w "DISCONNECTED FROM THE STREETS"

• werd that's cool...although out here in the Bay cats have moved on to the next thang.

Boise rap is hittin big out here now.

heh heh... file under "THAT REAL SCHITT" b/w "DISCONNECTED FROM THE STREETS"

I got took for $20 @ my local bar/club to hear CandyShop =

I'll be checkin' the djs up in that place though.

werd that's cool...although out here in the Bay cats have moved on to the next thang.

My other bicoastal stromie tells me different... he says when he was out there a couple weeks back dudes were locked up in traffic on the way to the city, jumping out their cars and straight campaignin' in the middle of the Bay Bridge.

btw can anyone confirm or deny that some fucking lames on city council or something are trying to set up a legal sideshow "area" where folks can go get hyphy in a safe environment?

• i believe that would be daveyd and/or adisa banjoko who suggest that a legal sideshow staging area would provide a safer environment for activities that would go on regardless of legality/illegality in a much more dangerous context.

i dont think it is being considered seriously however, among city law makers.

i believe that would be daveyd and/or adisa banjoko who suggest that a legal sideshow staging area would provide a safer environment for activities that would go on regardless of legality/illegality in a much more dangerous context.

OK...

I'm saying though, police have already been blocking off the sideshows for years...

• and it may seem a bit retarded, but it's almost like having the rice rocket kids keep their honda speeding to actual drag strips instead of VTECing it down 880... it wouldnt completely cease street activity, but would provide a constructive forum for the kids to do their thang while possibly lowering street activity.
    i would be inclined to say that a legal sideshow spot might be cool, but i'd see it more as some sort of youth org. and i think kids in the bay need more social support.

but watching a cougar chirp through all 4 gears at a stoplight probably wouldnt be as dope in a legal spot.

I don't think anyone would really use it, other than kids who want to serve their cars in a safe environment...

• well i could see it happening... highschool kids who want to battle/call each other out... i mean kids in my highschool used to do it... except we used the parking lot of a Nations Burger to do it. but it could also become a yayo spot if it isnt regulated well... i mean i could see people hanging out there if all you want to do is swing your 5.0 ... kinda why kids go to skate parks. i mean that shit is hella fun
    if you are bored and dont care about your tires.

If it was really contained and regulated I think *most* folks would opt for the impromptu corner sideshow.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    eh, i think it would work. it's kinda like holland's take on drug use, and that seems fairly reasonable. i have no problem with anyone getting hyphy or drag racing their hondas as long as it's a) not on my block and b) not harming anyone (imagine how stupid-dummy-retarded it would be to accidentally run over a kid while doing donuts?). having it in a designated area and increasing the penalties for illegal operations would be a good idea.

• If it was really contained and regulated I think *most* folks would opt for the impromptu corner sideshow.

yeah, im pretty sure it wouldnt stop a spur of the moment jump, but say a day like today, the streets are wet and if i were a kid with a 50 i'd be like shit "why not"

i think if you give a kids options... at least half the time they would take the easier low risk low penalty option... and that would mean less.. not all... but less street shit going off.

• Motherfucking Funk Flex playing "18 Dummy" Friday night, 11 pm. That's prime radio time here. Insane.

Puttin' the yola back in "payola."

I need some schoolin' on HYPHY music..............

Where does one start. HYPHY for DUMMIES pleez?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Countdown to New Yorker article:

• I need some schoolin' on HYPHY music..............

How about this?

Oh, and um, I'm no Jon Caramanica, but I wrote this:

Out now!

I need some schoolin' on HYPHY music..............

How about this?

Oh, and um, I'm no Jon Caramanica, but I wrote this:

Out now!

The link doesnt work. I'll try another computer.

There was a thread about a year ago - "will the bay area blow?" Maybe this iz it.
    I cant find the thread, but I'd like to revist the speculations.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

is this dude suckin on a pacifier?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's a whistle piece... and either it matches his dad's or it actually belongs to his dad, which makes the putting it in his mouth to be photographed thing a little weird.

• is this dude suckin on a pacifier?

It's a whistle piece... and either it matches his dad's or it actually belongs to his dad, which makes the putting it in his mouth to be photographed thing a little weird.

No, it's not a whistle piece (did you just make up that term?). I think it's this:

No, it's not a whistle piece (did you just make up that term?). I think it's this:

You mad?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

His long-delayed dictionary of slang will be published later this year by Warner Books.)

"After talking with him for five minutes, I totally forget he's so young," said the electronic music pioneer DJ Shadow, who recently collaborated with Droop-E on the song "4 Freaks." "He's extremely bright and soaks things up very quickly."

There was a thread about a year ago - "will the bay area blow?"

Yeah that was BSides. I've heard from quite a few people over the years that the Bay doesn't have what it takes, that it's not palatable to the rest of the country, that it's too weird, that the sound isn't as identifiable as Houston or as grimey as Atlanta...

I've been priviledged to speak with some very influential industry insiders over the past month or so and The Bay is what's hannennin. There is a record label feeding frenzy on the artists now as we speak. You will see major label LPs from most of these dudes. It's great to see. I've been rooting for the home team this whole time and it's just so dope to hear 40 on the radio out here and look into my backstock to see that I sold out of Nump 12"s or what have you.

So basically what you have is a bunch of industry forecasters who don't know what the hell they're talking about. The Bay has always been victim to one thing only and that is itself, whether from signing bogus deals with local hustlers or making obtuse records guaranteed to reach no further south than San Jose and no further east than Livermore.

There's also a lot of cats in the Bay who weren't riding for this shit even five years ago but I'll just let them do what they do. Better late than never.

I'm tickled by the fact that the Times is hosting audio clips of "White Gurl"...

Few families have been as well equipped for the challenge. E-40 got his start as a member of the Click, which also included his sister, Suga T, his brother D-Shot and his cousin B-Legit. In the 1960's, his father and uncle were in a local soul band, the Inspirations, and that uncle, St. Charles Thurman, went go on to be the chief executive of Solar Music Group , which gave many Bay Area rappers their start. (Mr. Thurman's lone seven-inch single as a solo artist is highly prized by collectors: fewer than five copies are known to exist.)

Does the one jinx possess one of the five known copies?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Few families have been as well equipped for the challenge. E-40 got his start as a member of the Click, which also included his sister, Suga T, his brother D-Shot and his cousin B-Legit. In the 1960's, his father and uncle were in a local soul band, the Inspirations, and that uncle, St. Charles Thurman, went go on to be the chief executive of Solar Music Group , which gave many Bay Area rappers their start. (Mr. Thurman's lone seven-inch single as a solo artist is highly prized by collectors: fewer than five copies are known to exist.)

Does the one jinx possess one of the five known copies?

lol I was thinking the same thing.