LOS ANGELES ROLL CALL [HR4437 RELATED]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
that's right you fucken westside asswipes. its time to put up or shut up. i know a lot of youz folks around here fancy yourself a progressive forward thinking DOer. but alls i see is a lot of talk on the innernet. so prove yourself worthy. 300,000 marched in Chicago on 3/10/06, 20,000 IN D.C. AND All THROUGHTHEMONTH OF MARCH ACTIONS HAVE BEEN HAPPENING AROUND THE COUNTRY.NOW IS L.A.'s Turn to show our strength as a community get involve andsupport the March 25th march against HR-4437.MARCH 25TH 10AM AT OLYMPIC AND BROADWAY IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES.PLEASE JOIN US FOR THE MASS MARCH AGAINST THE SENSENBRENNER/KING BILL(HR4437)!!!HR4437 would:1. Criminalize over 11 million undocumented immigrants, including 1.6million children, living in the US.2. Penalize ANYONE who comes into contact with an undocumented immigrant(This could include church leaders, teachers, doctors, etc.)3. Turn State and Local police officers into immigration agents.4. Make it harder for immigrants to become citizens.5. Require all employers, unions, and workforce development programs toverify the employment status of new hires and current employees.Join me on Saturday!WE MUST DEFEAT THIS ANTI-IMMIGRANT LEGISLATION!!![/b]yeah. see that? i said JOIN ME. and i fucken hate people so id like you all to know how much of a stretch this is for me to want to be around people, and LA people at that! if you want to gripe about this bit of legislation, go ahead. i wont stop you. if you want to know how i stand, i say this. if a man is dying, and that man is an immigrant in the USA, it would be a felony to help that man under this new legislation. and that's wrong.here's the actual billhttp://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:h.r.04437:taking it to the state capitolhttp://sacramentofordemocracy.org/?q=node/view/3601i think folks in the bay are holding some sort of food strike. though shig does NOT endorse the food strike thing. sorry, i have my limits. anyways, join or die.

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    all talk no rock.

come on LA, prove me wrong!

alright alright. well, for you fany batches, the LA fashion week is going on right now. and i believe i am at the forefront of fashion as we speak. i bought a pair of jeans the other day. theyre hecka tight, and by "tight" i mean my belly is bulging over the top. but ive been told that theyll stretch as long as i dont wash them. which is great cuz i rarely wash my jeans! haha!

there's also that minimalist music shit goings on over at the disney hall thing. my friends have been nagging me about going to this but i dont care who it is i dont want to hear a suspended c chord for 2 hours straight. i just cant act like thats good. sorry.

on another note, there's a bunch of fany architectural expos goings on around here too. on that minimalist tip. jeffie, plaese to explain? minimalist architecture looks like museum architecture. and who the eff wants to live in a museum? home cooking plaese, non of this prefab yuppie bullwarky.

and lest i forget, so it looks like its gonna be me, some hippy white folks, and a bunch of mexicans tomorrow at the rally. we could use your support. or in about 6 months you can sit in front of your computer and bitch and moan about this shit. that's always very helpful.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    or in about 6 months you can sit in front of your computer and bitch and moan about this shit. that's always very helpful.

HAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Chicago wasn't just Mexicans protesting (though they were the strong majority). Lots of African immagrants, Korean, Chinese, Polish, Puerto Ricans, and even Irish were represented. ROCK THAT SHEEIT!

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

and lest i forget, so it looks like its gonna be me, some hippy white folks, and 500,000-1gazillion mexicans tomorrow at the rally.

i'm thinking bout it....just don't want to be a tramplevictim.

shit is going to beeee iiiinnnnsssaaaannneeee.

im sure there will be a conrycopia of folks here. i was just being smarmy.

how goes it dizzy? its effing HOT out today. i hate HOT. i had one of them frutas frescas things today. anyways, speaking of HOT...hey reynaldo, have you seen this?

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/events.aspx

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    watup Brian,

this seems like something i'll be interested in, although i am far removed from political activism...i'm gonna try to do this.

yuichi

awesome dude. you still have my denwa bango? use it if you want to try and meet. imma see what i can do about a hachimaki.

itll be a nice day tomorrow too!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    that'd be an easy way to spot you. haha. PM sent.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    For a second I thought you said Banjo and I almost got excited. Man, I wish I knew how to play the banjo.

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    a student of mine (high school yo!) is driving down with her family TONITE from da bay to go down to this. this is bigg shitt for her and her family- lil kidz and all to do this. they are

alright, so sheck it out. i had a few days to think about this and since i keep a food blog and this dont have to do with food oh and also since i doubt any of youz went imma report back on this here event.

i mean, im really not one of these hippy activist folks that thrive on this kinda shit but i will not lie. i was overwhelmed. the sheer volume of people coming together peacefully was a powerful thing. i got lazy and took the train from my place to city hall so i basically popped out of the ground in the middle of it. there were people as far as the eye could see. unidos pueblos, for real. ok, well, honestly it was like 99% hispanic/latino with a smattering of white folks. i saw a small handful of asian folks. what was awesome was the amount of families that were there. im talking grandma, lil mijo in the stroller, whole communities, flag waving, sign holding, chanting. unfortunately for me, everything was in spanish so i had no idea what was going on. luckily this kid was breaking it all down for me.

seriously. Los Angeles, i am impressed. and i am most impressed with the young people. sure most these kids dont know why theyre cutting class and they interview some kids on tv yesterday and they didnt know what the fuck they were talking about. but there were also some very eloquent young folks on tv that werent trying to politick, they were speaking their minds about something. not making excuses about it, just speaking their minds and that shit was awesome. i knew this was coming. i mean, the complacency of youth culture in the past 10 years is saddening. but these LA high schoolers were put on the world stage for all the other youth to see. perhaps lighting a fire under other young folks to put down their fucken ipods and psp's and organize some shit together.

anyways, my 2 cents.

ps
    i did have a pretty tasty pan de pollo and a tamal de chipilin after the rally though. but that's another story.