Cumbias

meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone get down to some Cumbias? I hated on em for a long time, til I heard some loud Cumbia beats coming from next door, and me and my wife watched these 2 old ladies jamming and dancing for about 2 hours, looking care free and happy as shit. We got a CD of some Columbian Cumbias, and theres some hard ass drums on em.. loud African style cavernous sounding beats. SHIT YESEver since then, I've been checkin for good cumbias... and the homie Smite put me up on a few dope ones as well, like Cumbia Del Sol. Next time you're DJing, throw some Cumbias on in a room full of Mexican or Columbian women... and watch the magic unfold.

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    My girl can do that really unsettling yee-hee-hee-ha-ha thing spot on. Freaks me right out. Love the music though.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Some cumbia can be okay. I have a few cumbia comps i dug up in peru

But fuck some of that shit is annoying... especially the variations (yunca for example)

My appt in peru was near a traditional Yunca restuarant. Off key signer, worst drummer super loud until 2am..I had murderous urges...

However modern cumbia DVD's are

They make the people sing in foresty settings with those miniguitars and they have childstars and shit.
    The best was one where they show the reality of rural/urban life. A mix between a cheap rap movie and spontaneous Gymkata hilarity. The signer shows up drunk at a house...her parents complain and then the whole family goes into a song...

• LATINO STRUT STAND UP!

Same here, I grew up listening to Latin music in general and once I hit my teens/got infatuated with hip-hop I straight hated on that shit. Not until a few years ago when I started getting turned off by rap music I got back into "my musical heritage". Love that shit....I don't know anything about the records/what raer/whats consider an essential but anytime I some shit I always grab it, listen to it, and remember the times of when I shorty at a family gathering.

I strongly recomend picking up Quantincs "mofungo para la alma" mix-cd. A mixture of a lot of Latin music styles (mambo, cumbia, a bit of ranchera, latin-funk type ish).

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Cumbia is hit or miss

But the dancing is always on point. Heartwarming old ladies...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I love Cumbias. I'm finding 'em like crazy this year too. The Discos Fuentes label, especially, is my shit.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    is Cumbia that next shit?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    That and that music from Congo people are talking about. I'm disconnected from the Cumbias though, so if anyone wo??ld like to upload a Cumbia classic so I can sample this musical delight, it would be much appreciated.

No, Nortenoton is. The south will have to wait.

Accordio-dancehall?

How blown up would you say Baile funk is, by the way? I mean, even in this relatively small Swedish town you can't play anywhere without someone coming up to you asking for reggaeton, whereas baile is less known, even though some people know about it. And I still have a really hard time finding the records, just the odd compilation pops up once in a while. I'm sure the hipsters in NYC love it, but what about the rest of the world?

Accordio-dancehall?

Why else would you wanna put subwoofers in an F150?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Accordio-dancehall?

yall paisas aint never heard of cumbia norteno?

i prefer the firme rolas.

How blown up would you say Baile funk is, by the way? I mean, even in this relatively small Swedish town you can't play anywhere without someone coming up to you asking for reggaeton, whereas baile is less known, even though some people know about it. And I still have a really hard time finding the records, just the odd compilation pops up once in a while. I'm sure the hipsters in NYC love it, but what about the rest of the world?

Well I'm in NYC but from last night I can confirm it's gone past hipster to the jacket-and-side-part-I'm-a-dick-but-I-keep-this-bar-in-business types. "Yo DIPLO, Yo, Baile Funk, LOVE THAT SHIT MAN!!"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

i prefer firme_rola.

i prefer firme cholas.

Accordio-dancehall?

OK, is that what I was hearing feeling? But that's not the real sped up polka bass though right? I call that Nortenoton.

Here's some southern cumbia

Cumbia Tropical

Cumbia Turbaquera

Well, can't live with 'em, can't run a club without 'em. Think it's time soca hits big time as well (it already might have).

i prefer firme_rola.[/b]

speaking of which,

"brother, where are you? they told me that you came this way-ay-ay"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

i prefer firme_rola.[/b]

speaking of which,

"brother, where are you? they told me that you came this way-ay-ay"

You sure that wasn't the day you lost your phone?

haha, I just saw him the other day. He's chilliando.

Plaese to send all firme cholas to: 179 East 3rd Street NYC

I will serenade them with the finest in Brenton Wood karaoke

• is Cumbia that next shit?

interesting...i was wondering after the bhangra/reggaeton infiltration of urban music, which genre would be next....theres definitely crossover appeal...i def dig the cumbia but honestly most of what i come across in the field is crap...norteno/duranguense is huge no doubt, but very odd to ears unaccustomed to the sounds...pz

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    doug from milwaukee (aka the funky mummy) made a funky cumbia mix tape. tape only mothefecka.

and i don't have it. need it.

if anyone makes a funky cumbia mix, give me heads up via pm....i know the niceness is out there, but i don't have any.

-t

Accordio-dancehall?

OK, is that what I was hearing feeling? But that's not the real sped up polka bass though right

where do you stay? this is old hat around here. there are huge nightclubs where all they play is this kinda music. LA, SJ, fresno, hell you name it. that shit is big. i believe the latino radio stations out here get better traffic than english programmed stations.

oh, and paychecks, tell firme rola i said "hehehe" *nervous laugh*

Accordio-dancehall?

OK, is that what I was hearing feeling? But that's not the real sped up polka bass though right

where do you stay? this is old hat around here. there are huge nightclubs where all they play is this kinda music. LA, SJ, fresno, hell you name it. that shit is big. i believe the latino radio stations out here get better traffic than english programmed stations.

Durango, first time there was 1999 and I remember hearing it then. Not much of it in NYC though - everyone's from Puebla (and I mean everyone) and I've been told they kind of laugh at norteno stuff??

doug from milwaukee (aka the funky mummy) made a funky cumbia mix tape. tape only mothefecka.

if anyone makes a funky cumbia mix, give me heads up via pm....i know the niceness is out there, but i don't have any.

-t

Define funky... groovy?

anyone got some mp3s? Shig?

-t

Define funky... groovy?

anyone got some mp3s? Shig?

not me. i like them rolas. and by that i mean, the slow jams. i do, however, have some decent tejano/soul stuff. i'll try and throw something together this weekend and upload it here...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    In Argentina, classic cumbia it's all about the "Cuarteto Imperial". I'll try to post some mp3s and some cover pictures. Gotta love those outfits.

I got some good Peruvian cumbias.. give me a bit to encode. Breakself sent me a sick one today!!! OOOOHH

I dunno if I would start callin em "funky cumbias".. just cumbias with a dope beat. aint no 4/4 in this shit!

• Options

There's some simply amazing stuff. Been jammed out at Turning Point parties for a minute now.

K in Canada.

There's some simply amazing stuff. Been jammed out at Turning Point parties for a minute now.

K in Canada.

like I said K, if you need help on that Mexican stuff, I gotcha

which reminds me, I still have that Marley 7", gotta dig it out.. times is weird on the boulevard (baby in 2 months)