The wait is over

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
www.sabadabada.comHello everybody! Sorry it took so long, and to be honest, I don't know a lot about the artists I posted this time around. I have been exploring uncharted territory venturing into a strange new decade, and mostly I've been collecting soap opera sound-tracks from the early 70's originally released on the Som Livre label and then going from there (I like to think that somewhere in Brazil somebody is listening to the soundtrack from "Three's Company" and thinking its really cool because that's basically what it sounds like only sung in Portuguese). The Milito LP is one of the best records I've picked up in months (the first song is really bad, but nobody's perfect) the rest of the album is really cool with electric piano and vocals by Quarteto Forma, I thinks its much better than the more popular Milito LP released on Som Livre. The Dom Salvador is straight-up soul and even has some great breaks on it. Baby Consuelo who does the vocals on the "Novos Baianos" LP sings "Tinindo Trincando" and "A Minina Danca" with complete and reckless abandon. I know that its a departure from the straight-forward bossa I usually post-up, but it was time for a change and its really good stuff."Learn it, know it, live it!"

Comments

• That SOM LIVRE stuff looks good...and their typegame(fonts) is on point as well.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    killer!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that Novos Baianos is one of my all time favorite records.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    that Novos Baianos is one of my all time favorite records.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Looking good saba. I saw a lot of those soap opera OSTs in Brazil, they were all over. Bought some good ones, but I wish I had bought more. They are not always that interesting, but there is some goodness hidden here and there.

I sold that Novos Baianos recently, wasn't really feeling it. It might have grown on me over the course of time, but hey, that's how it goes.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    did anyone who is on my mailing list also get an obnoxious email from a disgruntled customer?

Apparently not getting his money's worth

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Dude! He had a legitimate grievance. Watch yourself...

no, his grievance was that i didnt have the time to respond to his requests. Im not running a music service. If he's such a great collectro what does he need from me?

Watch yourself...

you know something i dont Danno?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I just relistened to your last updates post (the one before this one)

And wanted to thank you.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    I have been collecting Brazilian music of all styles for the last twenty years, some of which are movie & novela (soaps) soundtracks.
    The biggest output of releases were from Polygram (Philips, Polydor & Forma) from late 60s through to mid 70s and the Som Livre label from 71 onwards. The CID, Continental & Copacabana labels also released some things, though not much. Then there was also independent stuff like 'Bacalao' (soft sex comedy spoof of 'Jaws') and 'Soninha Toda Pura' which was censored by the Military Goverment because it was about lesbian lovers! They even censored the 7" single picture sleeve of two women about to kiss, very hard to find with the original black and white picture cover (told by Brazilian dealers I'm very fortunate to have with original sleeve).
    The best track is the funky organ B-Side number "Tema De Soninha" by I.R.P.3, which is actually Erlon Chaves who made a couple of really good funky soundtracks (unfortunatly they are all hard to get, and go for big bucks even in Brazil).This can be found on a Jazzman reissue single, also contains France Galls version of "Zozoi" on the flip...

where have you been all my life?

Do you know where i can find an actual DVD of videotape of "Cronica Da Cidade Amanda"?

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    where have you been all my life?

Do you know where i can find an actual DVD of videotape of "Cronica Da Cidade Amanda"?

Lurk on various sites, mostly Vinyl Vultures out of the UK. I did email you once over on your site with info on a Dutch pressing of G9 Group LP which has a different sleeve to the original Brazilian pressing. You can check out things I play on a show called 'Happy Jazz' on www.danceandsoul.com, or also on www.ipodyourmondo.com (www.momdomm.com)

Not aware of any releases of "Cronica Da Cidade" on video or dvd! There is not really much of a culture in Brazil of archiving film and TV material. There was a big fire over at Globo studios in the 80s, so most of their stock of old Novela shows that they did have was destroyed. Maybe things will start to change in the next few years, as now they are starting to release some old music shows through Trama label, so maybe someone might start with films in the near future!!!

Mark