record piling - how many is your max?

generiquegenerique 625 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I pile upto 4 records on my player, or 3 when more than one is 180 gram vinyl. Sometimes it's a real suprise which record is lying underneith (and where the cover for that record went).

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I pile upto 4 records on my player, or 3 when more than one is 180 gram vinyl. Sometimes it's a real suprise which record is lying underneith (and where the cover for that record went).

2, if it's a 45 on top of an LP, and even then I feel terrible. Man you're weird. I thought this was gonna be how many records can you stack without them all falling over (King George's/diggin related)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    NONE

DON'T STACK THAT SHIT

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    There's one occasion where it's actually a good thing: putting a flexi on an elpee. I found out about this much to late.

What's really anoying is when you have played a 45 on top of an elpee and then you forget about the 45 and play the elpee again and then, halfway the record, you see your needle (and prolly the elpee too) being ruined right in front of you.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    fureal. record on record action is probably one of the worst looks ever. if you've ever tried it, it's like rubbing 2 pieces of sandpaper together (or at least that's how it feels to me).

i get scared stacking records when they're in their sleeves. i'll probably go about 15 max in that case.

• NONE

DON'T STACK THAT SHIT

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    There's one occasion where it's actually a good thing: putting a flexi on an elpee. I found out about this much to late.

What's really anoying is when you have played a 45 on top of an elpee and then you forget about the 45 and play the elpee again and then, halfway the record, you see your needle (and prolly the elpee too) being ruined right in front of you.

What the hell is the point of this? You should be reported to the Department of Record Services. This is a serious case of abuse you've admitted to here.

What the hell is the point of this? You should be reported to the Department of Record Services. This is a serious case of abuse you've admitted to here.

So may I conclude your personal max is zero?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I was actively buying collections last year and managed to accumulate 2,000 or so unwanted joints that I stacked in my office. My wife was afraid for my daughters life.

I was starting to feel like this dude:

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    This is the first time I've ever heard of this practice
    b/w
    wtf

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The last time I did this I was 7 and it was w/ my Bon Jovi & Thriller lp's.

• This is the first time I've ever heard of this practice
    b/w
    wtf

I think he might be using one of these...

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    i stacked two beat-up break records once for a performance a few years ago that required super quick switching between records. i didn't even feel good about that, why would you do this at home (this is a serious question, not a dig at you)?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    b/w
    wtf

Well, it used to be common practice. Remember these?

While googling for that image I came across this. Looks pretty cool:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    b/w
    wtf

AH! The culprit shows its face!!!!

The reason so many 70s party records are beat to shit. This thing, right motherfuckin here!!!

fureal. record on record action[/b] is probably one of the worst looks ever. if you've ever tried it, it's like rubbing 2 pieces of sandpaper together (or at least that's how it feels to me).

i get scared stacking records when they're in their sleeves. i'll probably go about 15 max in that case.

But thanks!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've been told it can be okay when using oldass 45s, cuz the label is raised enough that the vinyl never touches anything

Not that I'd try it or anything

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

BAN

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    BAN

really.

look out for extreme record liberation groups breaking in next time you're listening to that raer b/w raer b/w raer b/w raer.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

scariest movie ive ever seen. but alot of knowledge dropped, like the amout of bands that start with the letter s and q.

• What film is this?

I personally would rather not listen to records than pile them on top of each other!

Stacking is bad whether playing or storing!

For the person who mentioned stacking in a breakbeat/battle situation - I think this is an exception since battle records are built to do things that you would never do with 'proper' records (like stick stickers all over them or needle dropping/scratching etc!)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    What film is this?

I personally would rather not listen to records than pile them on top of each other!

Stacking is bad whether playing or storing!

For the person who mentioned stacking in a breakbeat/battle situation - I think this is an exception since battle records are built to do things that you would never do with 'proper' records (like stick stickers all over them or needle dropping/scratching etc!)

BEST FIRST POST EVER

You guys are a bunch of squares!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What film is this?

Vinyl

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

And you are not record friendly.

Record karma is gonna get you.

BWAHAHAAAAAAA.

BWAHAHAAAAAAA.

Hey, this thread is for people who pile! If somebody starts an appreciation thread on CTI records you all are not gonna crash in there and tell us CTI sucks, no?

Or hit me with some science please.

On first sight there seems to be nothing wrong with piling, but I am not that good in reading this kind of diagrams. Maybe I underestimate the coeffient of static friction but I doubt it. Needle angle is not included here so feel free to add on.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    i just keep all of my records stacked on the turntables at all times... i never know what i might want to listen to, and this method saves me all that looking around the room shit... i'm a busy man!... plus, i throw away the covers right when i buy them, and they kept rolling off the shelf

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

BWAHAHAAAAAAA.

Hey, this thread is for people who pile! If somebody starts an appreciation thread on CTI records you all are not gonna crash in there and tell us CTI sucks, no?

Or hit me with some science please.

On first sight there seems to be nothing wrong with piling, but I am not that good in reading this kind of diagrams. Maybe I underestimate the coeffient of static friction but I doubt it. Needle angle is not included here so feel free to add on.

I need the vinyl/vinyl "MU" or friction coefficient for further calculation.

In any case, when you pile 2 records you are altering the VTA (vertical tracking angle) of your stylus, thus the conditions of your phonographic reproduction are not optimal.

Anti-skating force is not to be underestimated in this analysis.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    What's the hell? This is just common sense. Don't do that shit.

I don't think there is a single good reason for it. It doens't even save you time! You're going to have to pull it off the platter and into a sleeve and cover at one point. You're just delaying it!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    b/w
    wtf