What other music icons deserve their own movie?

ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
What are some musical artists that you feel deserve their own movie. I feel "Ray" was exicuted pretty well and it made me think of how many other artists could have movies made about. I hear they are making a Janis Joplin movie right now. Also a Hendrix movie with Andre from Outcast as Jimi. Name an artist then name an actor/actress you think could pull it off.DENZEL WASHINGTON as SAM COOKE! What ya think?If they were to do this they had better get on it. Denzel ain't gettin' any younger!

Comments

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

funny i was just thinking about this yesterday, i think if it was done right, a bio on saint john would be great, through his drug addiction to the time where he spent a week locked in his room trying to kick, miles punching him, to his spiritual journey... i think it would make a great and uplifting film

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    dehh...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    A Mannie Fresh and Baby Williams movie could be quite entertaining if they were the two lead actors playing themselves....

Seriously though, A film on the life of Charles Mingus with the right director and cast could be fantastic. That dude had a crazy life.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    dehh...

Who could pull this off as an actor?

dehh...

Who could pull this of as an actor?

Mannie Fresh

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    A Mannie Fresh and Baby Williams movie could be quite entertaining if they were the two lead actors playing themselves....

How you gonna front on this modern-day classic?

Firing grenade launchers in the gangsta-approved sideways style = comedy gold.

Was that really a movie? I thought that was a real ghetto long form music video that came out on DVD. That never played in the theater around my hood.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Beatles movie back beat was good because it focused on short period of time.

I'd like to see a James Brown movie that focuses on forming his reform school band to getting Please Please Please on the radio.

Why Sam Cooke has not been done is mystery. The bio that came out a few years ago is real well resereached.

I'd love to see Robert Johnson mentioned in a movie with out the selling his soul to the devil bullshit.

Since dying in a plane crash is a staple of music movies; Otis.

Mary Lou Williams!

That Janis movie has been in the works since the 70s. One came out called Rose, they changed it to a fictional charactor before they started filming.

I can't imagine a Hendrix film not stinking like the tinned fish I had for lunch yesterday.

Dan

Mary Lou Williams!

yup

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Was that really a movie? I thought that was a real ghetto long form music video that came out on DVD. That never played in the theater around my hood.

Straight to video, wodie. (Is it "wodie" or "wardie?" Enquiring muthafuckin' minds want to know!) It's only about an hour long, but it is incredibly funny. You will learn, among other thangs, that:

*Two tons of coke(!) will fit nicely in the back of an ordnary U-Haul--and with plenty of room to spare!

*When a guy shoots your pops when you're 10 years old, he will look exactly the same and not have aged a day by the time you're in your twenties and ripe for revenge.

*If you're the mailman and you're late with the gub'mint cheese, one of the Cash Money millionaires will shoot you.

*Rich as they might be, the CMMs still get their bling the old-fashioned way--by robbing the jewelry store. Which ones again proves that retail is for suckers.

That Janis movie has been in the works since the 70s. One came out called Rose, they changed it to a fictional charactor before they started filming.

I've read that Janis was a huge slut. I'm not too interested in watching a movie about her.

Straight to video, wodie. (Is it "wodie" or "wardie?" Enquiring muthafuckin' minds want to know!) It's only about an hour long, but it is incredibly funny. You will learn, among other thangs, that:

*Two tons of coke(!) will fit nicely in the back of an ordnary U-Haul--and with plenty of room to spare!

*When a guy shoots your pops when you're 10 years old, he will look exactly the same and not have aged a day by the time you're in your twenties and ripe for revenge.

*If you're the mailman and you're late with the gub'mint cheese, one of the Cash Money millionaires will shoot you.

*Rich as they might be, the CMMs still get their bling the old-fashioned way--by robbing the jewelry store. Which ones again proves that retail is for suckers.

Sounds great! I'm gonna cop that DVD "Wodie!"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Also a Hendrix movie with Andre from Outcast as Jimi.

I hear this is dead in the water, because the Hendrix estate won't license the actual recordings for movies about him. That's why I think there hasn't really been one, although there have been a few tries.

Can you imagine a hendrix movie with nothing but covers for the soundtrack?

Hendrix step daughter still runs the estate right? She's a bitch. And Janis was a dirty drunk slut.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The Monks. The Monks. The Motherfucking Monks.

Eddie, their bassist, told me that a studio had gotten the rights and has been noodling around with them for several years. Come on, folks - this one can't fail.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

Also a Hendrix movie with Andre from Outcast as Jimi.

I hear this is dead in the water, because the Hendrix estate won't license the actual recordings for movies about him. That's why I think there hasn't really been one, although there have been a few tries.

Can you imagine a hendrix movie with nothing but covers for the soundtrack?

There was a shitty VH1 movie...I mean frickin' shitty Hendrix movie made a couple of years ago and I did notice the music was remade. It had Cream in it too...shit was awful!

I've read that Janis was a huge slut. I'm not too interested in watching a movie about her.

The danger with a movie is they will take one dimension of a person "huge slut" and make that what the movie is about.

Personally I have nothing against sluts. People just like the rest of us dogs.

I just can't decide if Janis was a great singer and artist. Or was she just an icon of hippy debauchery that screamed really loud.

Sometimes I listen to her and she sounds great. Other times she is just screaming and not always in tune. Same with her bands, sometimes they sound good to me, and sometimes they are the worse hippy blues stank out there.

[this has been an attempt to make this thread about music]

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I'd love to see Robert Johnson mentioned in a movie with out the selling his soul to the devil bullshit.

Amen!

Has there been a Miles Davis movie? He's the kind of artitst that had such a extented body of work there should be a movie. Plus their are some good stories about him as well and it would be nice to see both sides.

So many artists desearve a bio, but it just wouldn't be that interesting. I mean....I'd watch a movie about Axelrod, but would it really be good????

But for god sakes as many fucking Beatles/Elvis movies that have some out it's about time something else had some effort put into it. i supose part of the problem is getting a big audience to see these movies. I think that's why documenteries seem to be the more likely format.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Curtis Mayfield
    Miles
    Coltrane
    Last Poets
    Stevie Wonder
    Spooky Tooth
    Axelrod
    Cold Crush Bros'
    Funky Four +1more
    Trech 3
    Dorthy Ashby
    Bernard Purdie
    Lyn Collins and all the James Brown Ladies
    Marvin Gaye
    James Brown and the JB's
    Rick James
    Prince
    Ready for the World
    All the Miami Bass Rappers
    and a lot more....

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    hows about a

Bio-pic?
    At least a Vh1 special?

Prince

dude didn't you see purple rain

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    There have been a lot of doco's done about him but Bob Marleys' life would be worthy of a feature.
    Cosign on the Miles Davis movie but how would you condense it to 2hrs. There would for acccuracy have to be a lot of swearing and drug use. After reading his autobiography his use of motherfucker was quite funny at times
    "he could play like a motherfucker and he dressed as sharp as a motherfucker but his wife was as fat as a motherfucker" (something like that)

Curtis Mayfield
    Miles
    Coltrane
    Last Poets
    Stevie Wonder
    Spooky Tooth
    Axelrod
    Cold Crush Bros'
    Funky Four +1more
    Trech 3
    Dorthy Ashby
    Bernard Purdie
    Lyn Collins and all the James Brown Ladies
    Marvin Gaye
    James Brown and the JB's
    Rick James
    Prince
    Ready for the World
    All the Miami Bass Rappers
    and a lot more....

Dude have you seen Purple Rain? All Price movies are autobios, we don't need any more.

The JB ladies would be cool.

I was thinking of a lot of the artists you said, but really their isn't a movie in mosty of those. Funky 4? That 30 min at best. Cold Crush maybe an hour. It's not that they wern't cool, but there's not much to tell. People like Last Poets, Dorthy, Bernard all great artists that did a lot of stuff, but I don't think the general public knows who they are or would care about a movie on them. but I would.

RFTW, Spooky Tooth? Now I know your an alter ego!

Prince

dude didn't you see purple rain

Doh! Typing at the same time.

• dehh...

We were just talking about this at work. James is getting up there in age, so they make the movie and newly recorded material, put on the shelf, wait until he dies, then release them within weeks of each other and the death and get that Ray type loot all over again.

Billy Strayhorn

Has there been a Miles Davis movie? He's the kind of artitst that had such a extented body of work there should be a movie. Plus their are some good stories about him as well and it would be nice to see both sides.

Have you seen "Dingo?" Miles was in this 1991 relaese that is a non-autobiographical movie. Miles did play a jazz trumpet player and he did do some of the soundtrack. If you are a Miles fan, you should check it out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Why Sam Cooke has not been done is mystery. The bio that came out a few years ago is real well resereached.

I was invovled in pre-production on a Sam Cooke Biopic about 2-3 years back. One of the bigger issues with this was the cost of licencing (sp?) his music. Alan Klein owns the rights and is notorious for asking incredibly high prices. Remeember those 8 bars of "A Change is gonna come" from Malcolm X? that shit ran Spike a half a million to use.

Another reason the film never went through was the production team was piss poor and headed by longtime Dolemite associate Donald Randall. If anyone in Hollywood knows this man then you know what I am talking about.

I'd love to see this picture done right with a big budget behind it. I'm sure the Ray Charles film may open the door to this possibility becoming a reality but only time will tell.

Have you seen "Dingo?" Miles was in this 1991 relaese that is a non-autobiographical movie. Miles did play a jazz trumpet player and he did do some of the soundtrack. If you are a Miles fan, you should check it out.

Funny enough I did see that when it came out, but obviously I've "smoked" that memory away. I should see it again now that I'm off the stuff.