New Blowfly album + tour ?? (Late Pass)

LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I missed out, there's a new Blowfly LP out on Alternative Tentacles + he's touring the US. Anyone caught him at SXSW or heard the album yet ?

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Haven't heard it yet but I like how the cover is a play on that Bad Brains lp.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I caught his show at Southpaw in Brooklyn back a little while ago. I was a little torn about it, it was like watching someone's great-grandad up on the stage in a silver spandex jumpsuit, iI was actually alittle concerned about his health. No dude in his late 70's/early 80's needs to be performing like that at 1AM. However, he seemed to be enjoying it, the show is still funny (if you're juvenile like myself), and his band was passable. The new songs aren't great but you really can't expect much.

If I may play the race game or a second, I was a little put off by his 20-something white boy drummer/bandleader introducting him as the "baddest nigger on the planet". I know it's a Blowfly show but that seemed disrespectful as hell. The fact that my friend and I were 2 of the maybe 7-10 black people there bugged me a little too, but as long as Clarence is making some $, more power to him.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Finally: Slug and Afroman, together at last.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Saw him at the Ponderosa Stomp and it was pretty surreal. I'm not sure I would even recommend seeing the show to be honest. His horn section was made up of three kids who may be identical twins/triplets and around the age of 16. It was like seeing Clarence backed by a ska-core band (the very thought of which makes me shake in my boots). HE is amazing, and it may be best left at that.

nevermind the comment I just took out from my post.....I was wrong.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i opened up (djing) for him less then a month ago, and sadly, dude wasnt that great.

his band was mad weak, the drummer especially. and blowfly just gets old quick, hes dissing the crowd, calling at fat ladies in the crowd, etc. honestly, if the show isnt too much loot, then go, but i wouldnt recommend checking him out. dude is defintley way passed his prime and his age shows.

havent peeped the new album yet