Kohl's Commercial..."Express Yourself" cover

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
anybody else seen this shit? somebody left the tv on and i was reading a magazine and all of the sudden i hear this..pretty bland, female version of "Express Yourself" and im like "what?" so i go check it out and its a commercial for Kohl's...ehhfunny because the other day i also heard the original song on the radio of all places...is this gaining popularity or what?

Comments

• The original version was used in a Nike (I think) ad about 10 years ago. It was from the series of ads where they had a bunch of NBA dudes lamping in neighborhood barbershops. Forget which player it was used for-- Chris Webber maybe?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    was used in a soap commercial in the 90's as well.

Ako was probably 3.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Kinks "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" has just been used in an advert too.

For IBM.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

For IBM.

Ok, now that is fucked up.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

For IBM.

That's just the beginning........

Kinks and advertising

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    read this recently and thought you guys could appreciate it..maybe..

Trans Am and the Thermals Say No to Hummer

Matthew Solarski and Amy Phillips report:

What would you do for $50,000? For $180,000?? Would you sell your soul to Hummer? How about your music?

"NO" and "NO" were the prompt responses from lo-fi blitz-rockers the Thermals and post-rock trio Trans Am, offered those respective sums last year to lend their tunes to a commercial for the much-despised gas-guzzling giant. It's a feel-good, stick-it-to-the-Man-style story that only came to light quite recently, thanks to an Associated Press story from late last month. Pitchfork caught up with the Thermals' Hutch Harris and Trans Am's Phil Manley to get the low-down on this admirable turn-down.

"I never wanted to put songs in commercials and I still don't," Harris offered in defense of his decision. "So for the offer to be Hummer, it was just obvious that we wouldn't want to do [it] because it's so evil and there's no way we could support that."

"There's no way we'd want anyone thinking about the Thermals having to do with Hummer."

Manley feels similarly: "We just don't like Hummer. It's almost like giving your music to the army, but in a way it's even worse: The army has pretenses of protecting the country, whereas Hummer is just making these pointless trucks for regular people to buy that are completely...useless. They're impractical and wasteful and they embody the wastefulness of our society, I suppose." Besides, the Trans gets way better mileage.

Hummer offered 50 grand for the Thermals' "It's Trivia" (from 2003's More Parts Per Million) and, perhaps ironically, 180,000 bucks for Trans Am's "Total Information Awareness" (from 2004's Liberation). Manley told us Trans Am is no stranger to these dubious but lucrative licensing offers.

"We've been approached by Sony, NBC, Levi's. Those are the big ones," Mans recalled. "We just decided a long time ago that we didn't want to really participate in giving Trans Am's music to commercials...The Hummer thing was definitely the most money we've ever been offered, but it was also the most despicable company."

It's not all as heinous as it sounds, however. "In a lot of instances," Manley remarked, "it's people we know who are actually making the ads, and they come to us because they're fans of our music. They're of the mind that, 'Well, somebody is going to get this money--it may as well be my friends,' but it's a little more complicated than that. In this situation, they're co-opting Trans Am and its album and the image-- everything behind [our] name, you know?"

Manley was quick to add that had he been commissioned to write new music-even for Hummer-he'd probably have taken up the offer. "But it wouldn't say Trans Am. It wouldn't be a Trans Am song. It would just be me sitting in my bedroom smoking pot and making music for Hummer...[and I] could give them whatever throwaway crap."

Original material or no, Harris is adamant: "I couldn't work with Hummer. What would you be making an ad for, a new tank that people can drive down the street? It's just so ridiculous." He added, "I wouldn't be totally opposed to writing original music for something else, but I'd still have to be really picky about that."

Hardly the ideal dance partner, Hummer has been turned down or stood up by everybody from long-defunct post-punkers LiLiPUT (offered 50 grand for "Heidi's Head", according to the AP), to big names Talking Heads and Smashing Pumpkins, to recent indie bands like Four Tet, Caribou, and the Soledad Brothers. Bummer for Hummer, big bonus for your karma payment plan, kiddies.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    crazy list of artists hummer is going after

I just saw the H3 on tv

• Not everyone turns down that Hummer money. They licensed a Rat-a-Tat song and plenty else, I'm sure.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" has to be one of the top 3 most whored out songs of the last handful of years.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i actually heard that tepid "Express Yourself" cover IN Kohl's today.

by far the most annoying song/advertising combo for me is the fact that whatever asshole owns the rights to "96 Tears" wouldn't let Rhino license it for their Nuggets box set, but they let Pringles use it in one of their godawful "talking Pringles logo guy" commercials. Ugh.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Didn't Hummer get Deodato and Gatorade got Rare Earth?

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    Not everyone turns down that Hummer money. They licensed a Rat-a-Tat song and plenty else, I'm sure.

ratatat being one of my favorite bands, that was kind of a letdown...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

For IBM.

saw this today....god, what a terrible commercial.

i probably would be ok with this if the commercial wasnt so stupid.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Didn't Hummer get Deodato and Gatorade got Rare Earth?

hummer got diplo...
    he asked me if he should do it and i told him to do it and give the money to organizations doing environmental work or aome type of "anti-hummer" activism

i didnt have any groups off the top of my head. doubt he ever gave any dough