Polaroid Strut (NRR)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I've been a huge fan of the SX-70 for some years but since Polaroid is discontinuing the production of Time Zero film and recommending 600 film instead through a wack hack system, I'm looking into other Polaroids to get that instant-gratification thing still going. I was thinking of either a Polaroid ProPack or Reporter (which are based on the same design) but someone recommended I look into the so-called Holgaroid, aka a Holga with a Polaroid back. The difference in price is pretty steep though: a new Holgaroid sells for about $250 which is a lot more than I want to spend whereas a used Reporter can be had for under $50. Anyone have any experience with using either a ProPack or Holgaroid? And if so, any prefs?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I missed this one.

If you got some scrill, I would recommend the Polaroid SLR 680 which was manufactured late 70s - early 80s. Gives you the look of an SLR with the Polaroid feel. I got one off eBay still in box in nice condition for $150. They take 600 film which you can buy at any drug store. My gripe is the cost of the film which turns out to be a buck a shot.... still... some neat pics.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Raj,

Thanks for the info. The 680 looks like an SX-70 that takes 600 film. That plus the Sonar and built-in flash. Intriguing...though I have to say, design-wise, they look kind of ugly. Nice pics though.

Oliver

I missed this one.

If you got some scrill, I would recommend the Polaroid SLR 680 which was manufactured late 70s - early 80s. Gives you the look of an SLR with the Polaroid feel. I got one off eBay still in box in nice condition for $150. They take 600 film which you can buy at any drug store. My gripe is the cost of the film which turns out to be a buck a shot.... still... some neat pics.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yeah, the Polaroid's gonna be a a buck a shot regardless.
    The Holgaroid can be had for half that Oliver, and even then I've been reluctant to get the Polaroid back for my Holga as I stll feel it's too much.
    Just using Medium format with the Holga made a lot more sense when I found out I can get it developed cheap as hell through Walmart.
    For the same $10, you could buy a 10-shot Polaroid pack or you can get like 2 or 3 dozen shot rolls with medium format with slightly expired film and cheap proccesing.

What's been bugging me: Does ANYONE out there have that NightShot Polaroid? Looks real cool but impossible to find in the US.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I've been a huge fan of the SX-70 for some years but since Polaroid is discontinuing the production of Time Zero film and recommending 600 film instead through a wack hack system, I'm looking into other Polaroids to get that instant-gratification thing still going.

Yup, too bad about the Time Zero film. I've been digging my SX-70 the last few years. I only have one shot that was previously scanned:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, the Polaroid's gonna be a a buck a shot regardless.
    The Holgaroid can be had for half that Oliver, and even then I've been reluctant to get the Polaroid back for my Holga as I stll feel it's too much.
    Just using Medium format with the Holga made a lot more sense when I found out I can get it developed cheap as hell through Walmart.
    For the same $10, you could buy a 10-shot Polaroid pack or you can get like 2 or 3 dozen shot rolls with medium format with slightly expired film and cheap proccesing.

What's been bugging me: Does ANYONE out there have that NightShot Polaroid? Looks real cool but impossible to find in the US.

Quo: what you say makes good sense. For me, it's just the aesthetic of the polaroid itself: the film, how it looks, etc. But that's good to know about getting medium format film developed on the cheap.