CD duplication/pressing suggestions

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I want to bring some old mix-CDs back in production. I've normally gotten stuff duplicated onto CD-Rs: it's cheap, fast but I've also had problems which are endemic to CD-Rs and was wondering what getting pressings made would run instead. Any suggestions from folks out there? The problem here is one of volume: I'm not trying to have a 1000 CDs made, just a hundred or two of any one title. Thanks

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I had a very good experience working with ELS Productions. It's really easy to place an order, there's no minimum quantity (at least not as far as I can tell), and the prices are reasonable (though, as with any place, the price per unit goes up as the number of units goes down).

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    pretty well any manufacturer that presses CD's that are NOT CDR, have a 500 (sometimes 300 if you're lucky) pressing minimum. anyone who promises smaller quantities are doing CDR. Hope that helps...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    pretty well any manufacturer that presses CD's that are NOT CDR, have a 500 (sometimes 300 if you're lucky) pressing minimum. anyone who promises smaller quantities are doing CDR. Hope that helps...

Thanks man - that does help to know. Yeah, if I'm going the CD-R route, I might as well stick with the guys I use around town. 300 minimum might be swingable...though I'll end up having a lot of CDs sitting around my crib for a minute.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

Thanks man - that does help to know. Yeah, if I'm going the CD-R route, I might as well stick with the guys I use around town. 300 minimum might be swingable...though I'll end up having a lot of CDs sitting around my crib for a minute.

no problem at all...finding the company to do the 300 min might be real tough, but I have heard of it. Problem will be that your unit cost will be sky high...they charge really for all of the shit that happens before they even produce the first CD.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    I want to bring some old mix-CDs back in production. I've normally gotten stuff duplicated onto CD-Rs: it's cheap, fast but I've also had problems which are endemic to CD-Rs

Thanks

What type of problems did you have with the CD-R's???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I want to bring some old mix-CDs back in production. I've normally gotten stuff duplicated onto CD-Rs: it's cheap, fast but I've also had problems which are endemic to CD-Rs

Thanks

Declining sound quality and digital "glitches".

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't realize that sort of stuff happened until people started telling me that my old mix CDs developed those problems over time. I was pretty damn appalled.

But I guess if every place is going to use CD-Rs (I'm not sure if ELS does--probably worth checking out), you may as well get at Icewater and keep that money local, son!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't realize that sort of stuff happened until people started telling me that my old mix CDs developed those problems over time. I was pretty damn appalled.

But I guess if every place is going to use CD-Rs (I'm not sure if ELS does--probably worth checking out), you may as well get at Icewater and keep that money local, son!

ELS uses CD-Rs for replication orders, which are around 500-1000. 1000+ and they farm out the work to a duplication service both because it is easier for them and significantly cheaper for you. Replication=CDrs and Duplication=more professional grade CDs. I thought ELS was great and came well reccommended by Ross as well.

gNat