tonearm twist-ring & other gear/equipment Q's

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
1. my friend's tonearm twist-ring (not sure what its called exactly) has gotten pretty grimey (not on the outside). does anyone know how to clean it? i am NOT referring to the contacts within the tonearm or on the headshell.2. a) record bags vs. cases ...what are the advantages/disadvantages to each? b) UDG vs. other brands ...who's the best and not too expensive? I know some folks were recommending UDG trolleys before, how's the durability? Gravis?for #2, i'm looking for something for my radio show where i usually bring about 3/4 of a crate full as well as some local/regional/east coast gigging. i may need a case for next year, hopefully some overseas giggage.3. Caig Deoxit pen, Stanton Stylus cleaner. recommended?

Comments

• 1. my friend's tonearm twist-ring (not sure what its called exactly) has gotten pretty grimey (not on the outside). does anyone know how to clean it? i am NOT referring to the contacts within the tonearm or on the headshell.

2. a) record bags vs. cases ...what are the advantages/disadvantages to each?
    b) UDG vs. other brands ...who's the best and not too expensive? I know some folks were recommending UDG trolleys before, how's the durability? Gravis?

for #2, i'm looking for something for my radio show where i usually bring about 3/4 of a crate full as well as some local/regional/east coast gigging. i may need a case for next year, hopefully some overseas giggage.

3. Caig Deoxit pen, Stanton Stylus cleaner. recommended?

1. if you're talking about the ring that screws in the headshell, I wouldn't know how to clean that. maybe some sort of spray/lube that can work itself into the cracks? (no ayo)

2. I would highly recommend the UDG trolleys being a loving owner of one myself. The advantage over cases is that they are not as heavy, and have more pockets for accessories (headphones, needle cases, 45s). They are also the exact dimensions and weight for taking on planes and putting in overhead compartments. Can't speak on the Gravis bags, but they look hella fresh (and only the big ass one has wheels).

3. Caig Deoxit pen, no question - so much better than saliva. Stanton stylus cleaner? Not too sure, but I would not be surprised if there are better options out there. It's what we carried in the store, but we had a good profit margin on them.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

2. a) record bags vs. cases ...what are the advantages/disadvantages to each?
    b) UDG vs. other brands ...who's the best and not too expensive? I know some folks were recommending UDG trolleys before, how's the durability? Gravis?

Cases are more durable and hold more records. Record bags, in my experience, are so damn bulky and padded that you can only get about 30 lps in them.
    For traveling though, I would recommend getting one of those aftermarket wheel and handle thingys that attach to luggage without wheels and attaching the case to that for airport travel.
    I had to lug my flight case in the airport on several occasions with connecting flights without wheels and I must day it's a major bitch and test of endurance.

I have the Eurolite case that breaks perfectly in half, which is great for easy record access when djing. Just as long as you carry it on the plane, you'll be fine. I haven't had any problems with mine yet and I've had them for quite some time.