so you guys want another moral dilemma to ponder?

mallardmallard 452 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
it seems i'm good for one of these type problems at least once a month. so, it's friday and my roommate finally decides he really does want to buy my car after mulling it over (and driving it) for a week. he says he'll get me the money ($1200) on monday. i am ecstatic knowing that with the extra money i'll be sleeping in and reading long novels under my own accord for another several months. pure gravy. til saturday rolls around...i receive the call saturday afternoon. my roommate tells me the brakes just died and that he's going to get it looked at. roommate arrives home in the vehicle (brakes worked just enough to get it home) and says it's gonna cost $300 to get it fixed. i decide to be a courteous dude and offer to shave $100 off my asking price. he steps to me the next day to explain that now he doesn't want to buy my car. and he doesn't offer anything in the way of compensation for the broken brakes (or the broken driver's side doorhandle, and he just has no clue how that happened).now, this is a '91 toyota camry. i'd already told dood before i'd rather not sell the car to him because it is an old car and i don't want to feel guilty/be forced to compensate if it just dies. he insists and insists not to worry. and then this happens.am i in the wrong to look for some sort retribution here? do i just swallow the $300? should i post this on vinylvultures if noone here offers any good advice?

Comments

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    if he broke the door handle he needs to pay for that, the breaks i really don't think you can get at him for he only drove it for a week, but get money for the handle

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    How good of a friend is he? Regardless let it go things will work out in the long run, don't sweat it.... It takes a better man to let it go....

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    if he broke the door handle he needs to pay for that, the breaks i really don't think you can get at him for he only drove it for a week, but get money for the handle

mr.the3rdstream, i don't know why everyone makes you out to be so scary. you seem like a good-natured kinda fella.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

mr.the3rdstream, i don't know why everyone makes you out to be so scary. you seem like a good-natured kinda fella.

didnt know i was so scary

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Ask for money on the door handle! and CAR POOL!

man, you are pathetic! Do you have a set of testicles or what? Gimmie your address...I'm sending my chihuahuas over to rape you.

dood!!!!! as soon as i found out about this whole ordeal i went over my mom's and punched her right in the face and told her how soft-batch she was and she started crying and i totally felt the freedom of the wind and i painted with all the colors of the mountains and then right after asap i came back to post this on soulstrut.com you have no love fer yer fellow freedom-fighters BREH!!!?!??!??!?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    It seems to me that you and your roomy had a contract. You offered to sell him your car for $1200 and he accepted. You gave him the car. He is now obliged to give you the money. Should he fail to do that, you have a right to damages, ie the cost of the car. Off to small claims court with you...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Brakes won't fail from a weeks use. I think that's your responsibility. The door handle is another matter.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Off to small claims court with you...

yeah, sue him...you guys had an oral contract (no ayo)...however, if that is worth the stress you gotta decide for yourself...technically, he was already the owner, right? Lawstrut, step up!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Toyota Camry Front Door Handle
    Notes : Front=Rear, Chrome, Inside, Base/DX Model
    Part # : CPWT462130
    OEM # : 692063202004
    Fit : 1987-1991 Toyota Camry (87-91)

Price: $ 6.95[/b]

Closed case.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Get in your Camry and run the bitch down. Its already been determined that the breaks are shot. Just say it was accident.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

man, you are pathetic! Do you have a set of testicles or what? Gimmie your address...I'm sending my chihuahuas over to rape you.

dood!!!!! as soon as i found out about this whole ordeal i went over my mom's and punched her right in the face and told her how soft-batch she was and she started crying and i totally felt the freedom of the wind and i painted with all the colors of the mountains and then right after asap i came back to post this on soulstrut.com you have no love fer yer fellow freedom-fighters BREH!!!?!??!??!?

It sounds to me like you did the right thing.

P.S. I thought you were european or something.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

yeah, sue him...you guys had an oral contract (no ayo)...however, if that is worth the stress you gotta decide for yourself...technically, he was already the owner, right? Lawstrut, step up!!!

Well, I can only speak about Canadian law, and then not so reliably, but yeah, you had a binding contract. The absence of a written document has no bearing on the legality of the your contract.

Well, I can only speak about Canadian law, and then not so reliably, but yeah, you had a binding contract. The absence of a written document has no bearing on the legality of the your contract.

i'm not going to sue. i'm not even sure if a verbal contract is binding in ohio (but part of me thinks it isn't). obviously, we're bickering over a '91 camry so we're not exactly living it up. if i sued and won i'd definitely end up with his last dollar, which would mean he'd have to move out and myself and my roommates would all have to move out as well unless we found a replacement roommate asap. and if i sued and lost...well...i'd probably have to move out then, as well.

though, part of me does want to sue cause he's owed myself and my roommates $50 each since he moved in a year ago, and he never buys any butter.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    did you sign the title over to him already (before the brakes went bad)? If so, he owns the car and the problems that go with it. Period.
    But, since he is your friend and you are a good dude, help with the repairs 50/50.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Get in your Camry and run the bitch down. Its already been determined that the breaks are shot. Just say it was accident.

Now THAT is called problem-solving! (Personally, the only way I can think of to improve this scenario would be to yell, "No brakes! No brakes!" as you're careening down the street.)

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Contract for sale of goods in excess of $500 must be in writing pursuant to the statute of frauds Uniform Commercial Code Section 2-201.

*I got an A in Contracts*