Japanese records in NYC?`

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
So I'm starting work on some tracks for a dance project, and it's based on the Japanese legend of Hoichi the Earless Lute Player. Anyone know of spots to find Japanese records in NYC? And more specifically, anyone got a copy of/MP3s of the soundtrack to Kobayashi's "Kwaidan" movie from 1964??thanks...

Comments

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    anyone? [sound]crickets chirping[/sound]

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Rockwell,

I don't know any spots in NYC that would have Japanese records. I don't think there are any spots in the U.S. that specialize in Japanese records. Your best bet would be to contact Be**n, DJ Sheep. He is living in Tokyo at the moment and does a LOT of diggin'. Send him a PM and tell him what you are looking for. I am sure if he finds any of it, he will let you know. He got me a Japanese movie soundtrack LP that I had been looking for and sent it to me here in Seattle. Thanks Sheep! Your other option would be to check for the stuff you need on CD. LOTS of older soundtracks get re-issued on CD in Japan and the sound quality is always excellent. Last time I was in Tokyo I got 2 copies of a DOPE Yuji Ohno soundtrack, which is VERY expensive and rare on vinyl, on CD. It sounds fantastic and I found it right in Tower records in Shibuya. There are lots of online shops that sell Japanese CDs. I hope this helps. You can PM me if you have any other questions.