Early Bidding...

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Why botherI mean some dudes put in little minimum bids on lots of records and then what? Just to say you did it or what? Or those people who put in huge bids mid way through...so people can steadily chip away at your maximum? I don't get it. Can someone explain why putting in a bid with 6 days and 23 hours is the way to go?

Comments

• ...ask Tobias Kirmayer, he'll make sure there'll be some

(seriously: not a clue unless you know you'll be stuck on a deserted island for the next 6 days and 23 hours starting now.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think it's good for LP's that usually go for somewhat cheap,
    or let's say usually go for around the opening bid amount.

Ummm let's say you want the Mirettes "Whirlpool" LP,
    and someone has it listed for $10 - if you put the first bid on it,
    chances are 20 other people will now NOT bid because it already
    has a bid, and they don't want to pay more than around $10 for it
    anyway ... does this make sense? I know I sometimes won't bother
    bidding on something if it already has a bid, because I know that
    means I now have to beat out the 1st bidder's max amount...

It's like, why wait for someone else to "set the price" on something,
    when you can do it yourself?

As for putting $20 bids on $200 records, I don't know.
    You'll have to ask Morrocco Mole about that

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Why bother

I mean some dudes put it little minimum bids on lots of records and then what? Just to say you did it or what? Or those people who put in huge bids mid way through...so people can steadily chip away at your maximum? I don't get it. Can someone explain why putting in a bid with 6 days and 23 hours is the way to go?

stonecold_greasy_be_easy_best_believe_me_ho

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I might put an early bid in if I'm not that serious about winning it, if it's common enough that it will pop up on Ebay again, or if I already own a copy and having a duplicate isn't that big a deal for me.

I've scored with early bidding too. Last two were a copy of Jimmy McGriff's The Worm for like $8 or something (too bad it broke during delivery ), and Hall and Oats "I Can't go for that" promo for a similar price. Neither auction had a picture of the record though. Sellers missing out on dollars by not posting pictures.

On auctions I'm more serious about winning I use eSnipe.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I put in a low early bid just to let a few of my buddies know that I'm going for something.

Usually, a few of us who speak regularly stick to an unwritten code:

a) If that particular item is someone's most-wanted, we'll put them up on it... or...
    b) If we're all after it, the first to place a low bid gets 'first dibs'.

If you're not 'down', it's all-out war, usually involving e-snipes!

I always lose auctions anyway, so don't listen to me.

• I'm all about the esnipe.

I'll leave the early bidding to dudes like this:

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    deepfunk forum had a blowout thread about this.

people were suggesting that maybe this is a new form of ebay "tagging".

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Can you elaborate on this?

• It can pay off to be the first bidder, sometimes. Other than that, it's all about the esnipe.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    I've heard of some people bidding on records they already own to ensure that it goes for "market value" or to even increase its value.

• hehe i don??t use esnipe at the mooment because i can??t win too many records right now so i put a quite low bid (i??m happy to win the record for my maximum) and just let the days pass - if i win, good for me - if i don??t win - good for me wallet

other than now, it??s all about esnipe

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i put in small bids on stuff i know will go for more just so that it comes up on "My Ebay" page. basically the same as "watching" it, but for some reason i like to bid instead.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

Can you elaborate on this?

I think its simply the sort of situation alluded to above where someone like Tobias Kirmayer bids on a given funk 45 on day 1 - other deep funk heads might well be less inclinced to bid, the item has been 'tagged' .. can't stand the deepfunk board so I haven't actually seen the thread referred to though

I often see names I recognise against items on day 1 of an auction, too many times to be coincidental

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I've heard of some people bidding on records they already own to ensure that it goes for "market value" or to even increase its value.

I once bid pretty high on a record that hadn't been on Ebay for months. I bid a reasonable high amount for it simply because it wasn't coming up anywhere else. Some people saw me bidding high, threw their copies on Ebay with a low starting price and I ended up snatching those ones for real cheap. No one else was interested.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

As for putting $20 bids on $200 records, I don't know.
    You'll have to ask Morrocco Mole about that

Huh? Whatchoo talkin bout? Yesterday I bid on two records at the last second, $125 and $165 and fuckin lost em both. Argh.... Guess I didn't "really want em".

• JazoistJazoist 78 Posts
    1. you would be sure to leave your marks on the item or 2. It's this dark mental matter we all are curious about.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Why bother

I mean some dudes put in little minimum bids on lots of records and then what? Just to say you did it or what? Or those people who put in huge bids mid way through...so people can steadily chip away at your maximum? I don't get it. Can someone explain why putting in a bid with 6 days and 23 hours is the way to go?

It does make sense, if you really really want the record and you put a high bid so that people will give up on it. On the other hand, I think prices skyrocket at the end sometimes because people have invested so much of their timing watching it, that they feel they NEED to have it.

that said, i think i've been spending way too much time on Ebay as of late....

• BigRubeBigRube 15 Posts
    I'm all about the esnipe.

I'll leave the early bidding to dudes like this:

i know those guys

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Before I knew about "favorite searches" I used to bid all the time so that if I got outbid at some point in the week I'd get an email and therefore a reminder.