Ebay account SCAM?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I just got this email the other day, from "aw-confirm@ebay" (no .com) complete with all the Ebay logos on it: Dear eBay customer,During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information.This might be due to either of the following reasons:1. A recent change in your personal information ( i.e.change of address).2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below: https://arribada.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?PlaceCCInfoIf your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to sell or bid on eBay will become restricted.Thank youThe eBay Billing Deptartment . Copyright ?? 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.[/b]And when I clicked on the "verify your information below" link the website was this:http://www.paphextwin.bobos.ca/user.phpSo I thought that was fishy, also because I haven't changed any information. What do you think?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's a scam. ebay says they'll never email you for personal info.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I thought so... crazy what people go through.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    oh yeah, I've been getting these for years...if you hold your mouse over the links on anything like these, you can see it's some re-direct steal your identity bullshit...I get fake PayPal ones, too, which are even scarier, since PayPal has access to my bank account...I would rather end up ignoring a genuine mail from eBay and deal with it later than click on one of those sketchy links...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm hoping I didn't fuck anything up by clicking the link for that redirect, like install spyware or some shit like that. I'm on a (relatively) brand new Mac and I want to keep it as clean as possible. I don't even have anti spyware programs...

My mom went through some identity theft shit a minute ago, cashed thousands of dollars worth or fake checks on her account (I found out the same day I blew up at Hook-Up in the infamous "Superbowl" incident, hence my being on edge that day.) It's really a horrible thing, these scams.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The beauty of it is that a Mac is pretty imune from most spyware.