Paypal e-mail - Scam or not?

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I can't tell anymore, but I know some of you are up on all the recent scam attempts. I got an email telling me my account will be suspended within 48 hours if I don't verify my info, as to a possible third party's accessing my account. The thing that made me suspicious was a "To confirm your identity with us click here:" message, which i'm assuming asks me to enter my password, blah blah. Someone please shed some light, so I don't get screwed, or get my account "suspended"...

Comments

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Paypal will never make you do these changes through e-mail, try logging into the main site if you're in any doubt, as any warnings will appear there too.
    In this case it will be a fake, but it's a way of knowing in the future...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    oh shit Paypal sent me a similar E-mail. I was going to post it up here to see if anyone could verify.

They told me I need to change the information thats on file, which I can partially buy since I had my wallet stolen and had to get my credit cards replaced. But its been some time since that happened (2 months)

now that someone else got a similar letter I'm thinking scam

• Paypal will never make you do these changes through e-mail, try logging into the main site if you're in any doubt, as any warnings will appear there too.
    In this case it will be a fake, but it's a way of knowing in the future...
    Yeah I tried that. Didn't see anything on there. I even clicked around to "My Account" and whatnot, and everything seems in order... If that's a scam, them motherfuckers almost got me. Thank God for soulstrut...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Scam. I get those every day it seems.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET
    I forgot my wallet at home today in my rush to leave for school. Before realizing it, I walked around campus like a man with purchasing power, but at noon, when I reached down--proudly at first--to find that familiar bulge gone, my heart sunk, my alter-ego flashed before my eyes, and I suddenly felt two inches tall,--empty.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I can't tell anymore, but I know some of you are up on all the recent scam attempts. I got an email telling me my account will be suspended within 48 hours if I don't verify my info, as to a possible third party's accessing my account. The thing that made me suspicious was a "To confirm your identity with us click here:" message, which i'm assuming asks me to enter my password, blah blah. Someone please shed some light, so I don't get screwed, or get my account "suspended"...

Place your cursor over the URL of the login address in the e-mail - in all likelihood, it'll indicate a URL that's completely non-related to PayPal...

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    def a scam...anytime you get an email asking you to "verify your account info" its a scam

• forward anything to [email]spoof@paypal.com[/email]

they`ll let you know if it was a scam and it`ll help them track down these cunts..

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I've said it before when this subject has popped up and I'll say it everytime it pops up: PayPal will *always* address you in real e-mails by your proper name. Not "Dear [email]blahblah@hotmail.com"[/email], not "Dear PayPal user", but "Dear John Doe". Unless your proper name is in the e-mail it's not from PayPal but from some phishing scammer. And like was mentioned, they never make anybody do anything via e-mail; if anything on your account needs changed they will have a message for you when you log into your account. The same is true of eBay as well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET
    I forgot my wallet at home today in my rush to leave for school. Before realizing it, I walked around campus like a man with
    purchasing power, but at noon, when I reached down--proudly at first--to find that familiar bulge gone, my heart sunk, my alter-ego flashed before my eyes, and I suddenly felt two inches tall,--empty.

Damn, Rey, that was my first chuckle of the day... you need to branch out more often