I'm Not A Vinyl Junkie (Basketball Related)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I'm a friggin' hooked on hoops......I've watched way too much Basketball in my lifetime and I just got back from watching 14 games in 3 days at the Texas State Tourney.I go to Austin every March to get my fix......over the years I've got to see players like Chris Bosh, TJ Ford, Kendrick Perkins and alot of Division One College players.This year was exceptional beacause quite a few kids from New Orleans and other Katrina areas go to play on Texas teams.......one small school from outside Dallas, in only it's second year of exisitance, got to the Finals due to getting two 6:8 brothers, Wayne and Jermydrell Burton from Louisiana......they blocked a combined 26 shots in one game.I also got to see two of the top point guards in the country....a kid named Nic Wise from Kingwood High who was recruited by Arizona since the 8th grade. He was the MVP of the Tourney last year as a Junior....and this year he had a game winning 3-Pointer go as deep into the bucket as I've ever seen a ball go, and not go in......after having scored 29 in the game!!!The team that won the 5A has a Junior point guard that might be better.....John Roberson.....scored 24 with 7 rebounds....he had lead his Florida High School to the State Tourney as a Freshman and Sophmore before moving to Texas this past year.Saw a 6:4 sophmore from a town called Arp(70 kids in the school total) who might be able to win the NBA Slam Dunk contest right now....Sedrick Johnson....averaged 17 points and 17 rebounds a game for the year.Was a blast....Tell me about the hot High School prospects from your town.

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The school I teach at had a shitty boys basketball season, but the girls went to the Sectional Playoffs for Nothern California where they lost to Napa.

The school has been killin it over the last couple years however.

We had Leon Powe and went to the state championships 2 years in a row where we lost to Whittier. That same time had Q. Richadson who now plays for North Carolina and was on the NCAA championship team. He comes off the bench and doesn't really do much the few times I've seen him.

The girl's were back to back state champions. The two star players Lawson and Hampton are now big players for Cal's women's hoops team.

And Rock, I thought Texans only cared about high school football?!?!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont pay attention to the high school cats in my town anymore, but Jamal Mashburn,Malik Sealy,Felipe Lopez,God Shammgod,Kenny Anderson,Skip to my LOU,and Walter Berry, all came up during my life in the Bronx.

There so many cats tryin' to use the game as their ticket out, I've grown a little jaded when the media pumps them up as the next new thang. Just hattin'

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    That sounds fun! Are there any games during the week of the record fair,in austin?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    That sounds fun! Are there any games during the week of the record fair,in austin?

No...and it's a good thing as you would never be able to get a Hotel room.....Tourney was this week....SXSW is next week and Austin Convention is in 3 weeks...I might as well move to Austin for the month of March!!.

We had Leon Powe and went to the state championships 2 years in a row where we lost to Whittier.

Leon Powe is a hella grown man....watched him get 41 against Oregon Friday Night.

And while Texas is known for it's Football.....I do believe we lead the country in hoops too!!

I'll take a team of current[/b] NBA players who played High School ball in Tejas and I don't believe any other state will beat them!!!
    (5 pages)

How's this for a line-up

Shaquille O'Neal
    Chris Bosh
    Rashard Lewis
    TJ Ford
    Kenyon Martin

And on the bench we'll have

Desmond Mason
    Emeka Okafor
    Kurt Thomas
    David Wesley
    Tony Battie
    Ike Diagou
    Bo Outlaw
    Quinton Ross
    Chris Mihm
    Kendrick Perkins

What state is beating that team???

I'll take a team of current[/b] NBA players who played High School ball in Tejas and I don't believe any other state will beat them!!!
    (5 pages)

U saved yourself w/ that current[/b] stuff.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I'm a big, basketball fan also. At the Jr. High school I teach at, there is an 8th grader who takes alley-oops thrown over the backboard & slams them in.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Wasn't Larry Johnson from Dallas Skyline? Before injuries pretty much crippled Grandmama, he really had game...

And as a Big East alum, what does it really say about the strength of the ACC when Boston College takes Duke down to the wire in the ACC conference title game a year after bolting the Big East: 8 entries into the Big Dance this year? Would set a record for any conference...

(5 pages)

I'll give the All-Time Best Team to New York......but....Louisiana has to be 2nd!!!!

Robert Parish
    Bill Russell
    Clyde Drexler
    Karl Malone
    Elvin Hayes
    Willis Reed

• Options
    I dont pay attention to the high school cats in my town anymore, but Jamal Mashburn,Malik Sealy,Felipe Lopez,God Shammgod,Kenny Anderson,Skip to my LOU,and Walter Berry, all came up during my life in the Bronx.

I remember that too, when Christ the King, Tolentine, Molloy (K.Anderson) and St. Raymonds were the squads. Rice too, when Lopez was there especially. Late '80s high school ball was insane in NY. St. Mary's from Long Island (my mom went there) matches up with a lot of those teams now, and sent Danny or Rashad Green to Duke last year but I don't know how much burn he gets.

I love the way Daily News covers high school babsketball, Newsday too but they're mainly for the Long Island teams.

Remember Lloyd Daniels?

Different sport, but remember when Manny Ramirez was SMASHING shit at George Washington?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I remember that too, when Christ the King, Tolentine, Molloy (K.Anderson) and St. Raymonds were the squads. Rice too, when Lopez was there especially. Late '80s high school ball was insane in NY. St. Mary's from Long Island (my mom went there) matches up with a lot of those teams now, and sent Danny or Rashad Green to Duke last year but I don't know how much burn he gets.

I love the way Daily News covers high school babsketball, Newsday too but they're mainly for the Long Island teams.

Remember Lloyd Daniels?

Bobby Cremins, when he was the coach of the Ramblin' Wreck @ GTech, pretty much mined the city for his recruits: Bruce Dalrymple, John Salley, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury... I remember reading articles about Daniels's game, usually couched in hushed reverence for the ability he apparently possessd; by the time he played for Tarkanian, I suspect he was a poor man's version of his best self and looked @ times slow and leaden-footed...

I suspect he was a poor man's version of his best self and looked @ times slow and leaden-footed...

The guy was shot so many times he was just "leaden"

• Options

I suspect he was a poor man's version of his best self and looked @ times slow and leaden-footed...

The guy was shot so many times he was just "leaden"

Yeah Daniels (I thought they called him Sleepy, it was SweetPea though) had some real nasty outside influences to go along with his talent. All he really had was his talent, I think he could only read at a third grade level or something like that? Last I ever heard of him he was bouncing around some semi-pro teams like Rhode Island Gulls or that team from Connecticut, I forget their name. I thought he got a look from the Knicks at one point, but if he did it obviously didn't work out.

I guess I could google it, but Sopranos starts in 10 minutes.

• SweetPea played for the Spurs under John Lucas, when they were running the all-rehab team. Sometime flashes of brilliance, followed by a bunch of lazy sloppy play. His passing could be amazing, though.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dunbar Highschool in Baltimore alone has produced five legitimate pro players in the last 20 years. The class of a 81-82 started 4 future NBA players Reggie Lewis, Muggsy Bogues, David Wingate and Reggie Williams. The naked mole rat himself, Sam Cassell wore the Poets kit and don't sleep on Keith Booth. OAK HILL academy don't count because they recruit nationally.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

We had Leon Powe and went to the state championships 2 years in a row where we lost to Whittier.

Leon Powe is a hella grown man....watched him get 41 against Oregon Friday Night.

And while Texas is known for it's Football.....I do believe we lead the country in hoops too!!

(5 pages)

How's this for a line-up

Shaquille O'Neal
    Chris Bosh
    Rashard Lewis
    TJ Ford
    Kenyon Martin

And on the bench we'll have

Desmond Mason
    Emeka Okafor
    Kurt Thomas
    David Wesley
    Tony Battie
    Ike Diagou
    Bo Outlaw
    Quinton Ross
    Chris Mihm
    Kendrick Perkins

that is a nice squad.

can't front on illinois! chicago alone also has mad legendary high school talents. too lazy to list em now because i need to sleep but yall know.

i played against garnett at the local rec plex several times and he blocked my 3 from the foul line...

ronnie fields was also on that farragut team and was the most explosive leaper i've ever seen in person.

(5 pages)

I'll give the All-Time Best Team to New York......but....Louisiana has to be 2nd!!!!

Robert Parish
    Bill Russell
    Clyde Drexler
    Karl Malone
    Elvin Hayes
    Willis Reed

Chris Mullin
    Mark Jackson
    Rod Strickland

Jordan born in Brooklyn, but that doesnt count.

• Options
    (5 pages)

Robert Parish
    Bill Russell
    Clyde Drexler
    Karl Malone
    Elvin Hayes
    Willis Reed

Chris Mullin
    Mark Jackson
    Rod Strickland

Jordan born in Brooklyn, but that doesnt count.

St. Anthony's in Jersey used to kill it too, Bobby and Danny Hurley from Duke came from there. I don't know if they have a team anymore though, I think they had to end it due to budget problems. I remember reading that Bobby Hurley (whose career ended after a nasty car wreck but now makes bank raising thoroughbreds) was trying to raise all this money to keep the program going but it wasn't working out.

BATMON, whatever happened to Brian Reese from Tolentine? He was all city around the time that Mashburn was playing.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    sent Danny or Rashad Green to Duke

blasphemy!... danny green plays for the heels!

brian reese played for carolina, too, and won a national championship in 1993... he could jump out of the gym, but didn't have much all around game... a bunch of memorable dunks, though

high school basketball is alright in NC, but if you were to make an all time list of college players, we would have that locked up i imagine