Bob Bannister review of the new DJ Day single !

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
DayGone Bad 12"Every single one of you MPC as interior design bedroom bam bam losers need to listen to this and cry. This record is the talent you don't have. For "Gone Bad(1)," Day basically condensed the best break mixtape you've ever heard into 4 perfect minutes of hanging hamburger bun belly fat ribbed by 3-leaf red Adidas elastic thumbprints. The thing that sets Day apart is that this is not fucking gay ass "look at my breaks aren't they pretty yay for black people hold up a sec while I trim my line beard" generic beat digger with a baseball hat nonsense, the dude made a fucking song here. It almost makes me care about breaks. Well, nah, but it is definitely dope as shit and I heard that one guy with the bucket hat and the beer from Philly is playing it. And we all want to be him. "Four Hills(2)" again highlights someone doing instrumental hip-hop who may actually be thinking about something other than Horselmat. Walks the fine line between evocative and corny pretty damn successfully, mostly due to the thoughtful vocal chops and warm rhodes accents. Snowy day driving music all the way. If he stays on this path, dude's solo album is going to king shit. -Bob Bannister this kills me!

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I heard that one guy with the bucket hat and the beer from Philly is playing it. And we all want to be him.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

MABUHAY DAY!!!!!!!!!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I got doubles. Not because I would dare to rock doubles of it.
    I just play one all the way through and
    pick my nose while people think I'm a hot DJ.
    The other is to sell on ebay in 2025.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

such a fucking amazing 12".

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I heard that one guy with the bucket hat and the beer from Philly is playing it. And we all want to be him.

I'm deducting one star for apparently earnest use of the word "chops," but adding two for the invocation of perennial Robert Railing whipping pojkar Horselmat.

MIKHAIL LARIONOV, HOLD YA HEAD TAIL

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Day is that dude.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Day
    Gone Bad 12"

Every single one of you MPC as interior design bedroom bam bam losers need to listen to this and cry. This record is the talent you don't have. For "Gone Bad(1)," Day basically condensed the best break mixtape you've ever heard into 4 perfect minutes of hanging hamburger bun belly fat ribbed by 3-leaf red Adidas elastic thumbprints. The thing that sets Day apart is that this is not fucking gay ass "look at my breaks aren't they pretty yay for black people hold up a sec while I trim my line beard" generic beat digger with a baseball hat nonsense, the dude made a fucking song here. It almost makes me care about breaks. Well, nah, but it is definitely dope as shit and I heard that one guy with the bucket hat and the beer from Philly is playing it. And we all want to be him. "Four Hills(2)" again highlights someone doing instrumental hip-hop who may actually be thinking about something other than Horselmat. Walks the fine line between evocative and corny pretty damn successfully, mostly due to the thoughtful vocal chops and warm rhodes accents. Snowy day driving music all the way. If he stays on this path, dude's solo album is going to king shit. -Bob Bannister

this kills me!

Maybe his best review yet. Props to Day - I still need to buy this record. Hopefully it doesn't vanish before I have more than $4 to my name.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Maybe his best review yet. Props to Day - I still need to buy this record. Hopefully it doesn't vanish before I have more than $4 to my name.

I still need the What Planet What Station 12"

Euro-revenge with all these pricy imports that aren't readily available

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

DUDE - same here.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

I got an email saying this was restocked at Beat Street in Canada... everyone needs this in their life. Hopefully they still have it.

What Planet What Station