Bill Hicks raer

Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Ran across this on the interthingy and figured some people on here might appreciate it. This mp3 gets interesting about 13 minutes in.Bill Hicks can be mass mediaContributed by michael cummingsSaturday, 04 March 2006http://frequency23.org/content/view/105/If the ideas of Bill Hicks are important...if his values are what wewant folks to spend more time with...then we need to work on his legend in concert, a concerted effort...Howard, am I using this technology label right? You talk about orchestrated noise and this morning you posted about the book The Republican Noise machine, so I'm working on a Bill Hicks story to help folks have the "reasons to believe" Bill Hicks is legendary. I'm giving them what they might want to repeat to their friends...Something to give a shit about...Bill Hicks (December 16, 1961 - ??February 26, 1994) is considered one of the most influential comedians of the 20th century. However, he is far better known in Europe and Canada than in his homeland of America. His outspoken candor kept him from widespread fame and mass media attention. However, his legend is building.Each year, on the anniversary of his death, fans around the world help his ideas evolve by asking, What would Bill Hicks say?New material emerges that honors his memory. This year, some authentic new material surfaced. For many fans, this is a momentous find. While eBay offers hundreds of hours of his material...there were three hours that ardent Bill Hicks fans craved to hear.On 1 October 1993, Bill Hicks did his twelfth gig on the David Letterman show. What the audience in the studio didn't know was that Bill Hicks had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Later that night, Bill Hicks became the first comedian censored from CBS' Letterman show. Perhaps fitting for the Ed Sullivan Theatre, where Elvis Presley was censored in 1956. But, while Presley wasn??t allowed to be shown below the waste, Hicks was made to disappear.Ladies and gentlemen, we have censorship in America.As reported in The New Yorker, Letterman greeted Hicks as he sat down on the couch with, "Good set, Bill! Always nice to have you drop by with an uplifting message!" But, there was trouble in the air and Letterman knew it. Letterman went to commercial with, "Bill, enjoy answering your mail for the next few weeks."Back in his hotel, Bill stepped out of the shower to answer the phone. Robert Morton...the Letterman show was not running his set.Bill was terminally sick and knew it. He imagined his Letterman show to be his swan song...what he would be remembered for. In many ways he might have been right. This debacle brought him more attention in The United States than his previous 11 Letterman appearances combined.In the next few days after the censorship, Bill Hicks performed threeshows ranting harder than ever before. These three "post-Letterman shows" as they've been called, have long been thought not captured. This last week, one of these three historic shows has just emerged, the middle show from 10/5/93, recorded by an audience member who happened to be an audio engineer. There is a brief gap in the recording at the one-hour mark when he switched tapes, but the quality is as high as can be expected from a covert recording.This historic performance is available in its entirety as a completelyfree download from the art site Frequency23.org. The 70MB download can be found on the second page of Mutant Media Gallery entitled "The Lost Hour," or by going directly tohttp://frequency23.net/images/zoom/QFJPWM/01_track_01.mp3

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Oh my sweet lord, Thank you so much.

As a diehard Bill Hicks fan, you have just made my day.
    To say that these concerts were the of Hicks fans is an understatement.

You sir are a legend.

Now heres Tom with the weather...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Thanks, ill download this when i get home. Best stand up ever imo.

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    Dope.

A lot of people believe Dennis Leary bit Bill's whole steez.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Dope.

A lot of people believe Dennis Leary bit Bill's whole steez.

Thats because he did.

Recommended reading:
    American Scream the Bill Hicks story.
    Author:Cynthia True.
    ISBN 0 330 43806 9

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I really wish I could download this.

• This is . When he gets into ripping CBS (the Cunt Broadcasting Network) listen to the people in the audience asking, "is that true?" and "jesus...wow..."

Not much has changed in the last ten years. We need Bill...NOW MORE THAN EVER.

Edit: Also, refers to pro-lifers as Terrorists. God, this is incredible.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    thanks for posting this. unbelievable.

dude was so real. he is missed.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    This shit is priceless. The bit about "child birth not being a miracle" ...

• This shit is priceless. The bit about "child birth not being a miracle" ...

Yeah, that was pretty much the highlight of my day. Too bad it happened at 11:30. I'm mailing it in from here.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Thanks for pointing this stuff out. Much appreciated, looking forward to hearing

Image hosting by Photobucket

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    much appericated....nice add to the archive.....

• can anyone yousendit this?