THE REEFERS (FATHER-IN-LAW RELATED)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
My father-in-law and I have atleast one thing in common. We both wanted to be rock stars. A couple of months a go he forked over some old reel to reels of various groups he was in from 67-70. I just got around to tranferring one of the reels to .wav. It's his high school group "The Reefers" who played psychedelic garage rock and even did a cover of a 13th Floor Elevators tune. He played guitar and sang back up. DOWNLOAD THE MP3s I still need to transfer his other group that he played bass for at Penn State in the early 70s, Rhythm Factory. Think Blood Sweat & Tears meets Janis Joplin,

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    wow! my (soon to be) fater in law didn't even know the Beatles and Dylan toked weed till I was trying to make small talk over dinner one night.

they won't open on my mac.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    pretty good for high school

when will you have the cd for sale ?!?

they won't open on my mac.

nevermind, got it.

the Elevators cover is

Do you stand to inherit his record collection? haha!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    hahaah.... that shits awesome! i love it. you should press this up and get some old white sleeved record jackets and stamp that shit like its an unreleased white label that the band pressed up to get spins on local radio.

sweet.

• can't listen at work, but you should totally press up a 100 copies on wax

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    this is great! seriously, release this shit

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Dude! That shit rules. Not only that but theres a market for it, you should think about releasing that stuff. Does he have old pics of the band laying around?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    this is great! seriously, release this shit

• this is great! seriously, release this shit

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    nice tracks.... i wish i had my fathers old reels but after years of moving/being drafted into vietnam they are no where to be found. He was the drummer in a band called the Vee Jays with some Hoboken friends, one of which was Omar Mesa (early Mandrill guitarist). They released one 45, versions of Gloria and Twine Time...hopefully ill track that shit down one day.

Image hosting by Photobucket

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    great stuff

the Elevators track is stupid dumb ill

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Dude! Fire!

The singer has one hell of a yell.