why do curtis mayfield's records aviod me?

crustationcrustation 6 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
i can NEVER find his self titled record (i need a condition upgrade badly).....for what seems to be a moderately popular artist in his day, why are his damn records so hard to find?

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I have the exact same problem with Bill Withers' albums. A clean copy of Still Bill eludes me to this day...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i can NEVER find his self titled record (i need a condition upgrade badly).....for what seems to be a moderately popular artist in his day, why are his damn records so hard to find?

checkitout, man...

I've bought that record twice. First time was a trashed copy at a thrift, just so I could listen... next time (years later) I found one at a local shop, minty for $10, excitedly purchased... brought home and slapped it on the table and cotdamn if it wasn't one of the live records...

So let me tell you as a dude who has been looking at and buying records for years and years that this one has eluded me as well... its not rare or $$$, but around here everyone who owns it is not giving it up and if one pops up its just trashed from getting TOO MUCH LOVE

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    next time (years later) I found one at a local shop, minty for $10, excitedly purchased... brought home and slapped it on the table and cotdamn if it wasn't one of the live records...

Uh...could be worse!

next time (years later) I found one at a local shop, minty for $10, excitedly purchased... brought home and slapped it on the table and cotdamn if it wasn't one of the live records...

Uh...could be worse!

I already had that one though...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    It took me 4 years before I got a couple of the Trouble Man OST. Then I saw it in uber-abundance. Before at stores, they'd sell it for a bit more than I wanted to pay... now shops won't give me $3 for a copy.

Weird.

I have the exact same problem with Bill Withers' albums. A clean copy of Still Bill eludes me to this day...

I'll keep an eye out - so many common soul records are hard to find around here, but that one pops up semi-frequently, never more than $5...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

I'll keep an eye out - so many common soul records are hard to find around here, but that one pops up semi-frequently, never more than $5...

Thanks!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Thanks!

Out here he didn't seem to sell the numbers he did back east and in Chicago. I think clean copies of all his pre disco stuff is hard to come by for the 5-10 bucks most strutters claim it is worth.

You can go to ebay or gemm and buy them any time for 20-30 I think they are worth.

• wierd. i was just thinking the same thing. just picked up the s/t last week in chi-town.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Thanks!

Above average copies can be copped here for around $1, and probably top out at $5. They turn up from time to time.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    wierd. i was just thinking the same thing. just picked up the s/t last week in chi-town.

I live in Chitown, and scored Curtis' first album for a dollar. In 1987. And even back then, it was sorta rare. Even though Curtis and his label were based here, his pre-'76 albums aren't hard to get, but don't turn up with the same frequency as the later records.

And good luck finding a copy of ROOTS with the lyrics and the 1972 calendar intact(I've always seen this with the lyric sheet/calendar tore right off the perforated line - I guess some used record dealers never knew it was supposed to be there in the first place).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Thanks!

Out here he didn't seem to sell the numbers he did back east and in Chicago. I think clean copies of all his pre disco stuff is hard to come by for the 5-10 bucks most strutters claim it is worth.

You can go to ebay or gemm and buy them any time for 20-30 I think they are worth.

People on soul strut think everything that isn't obscure is worth $5-10. That's why many people on here have shitty collections full of holes from "common" records that they just haven't been able to find "out in the field yo".

Curtis records in nice shape are real tough. The S/T and Live records routinely get $30 out here if clean. Probably the best $30 you could spend on a record though...

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Greetings everyone. I have a nice copy of Still Bill if you're
    interested in trading for something that keeps eluding me.
    And I would say getting a Curtis record for $10 is about right.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

People on soul strut think

nah

but down here in TX Al Green (yes even clean Al Green) is everywhere, Marvin Gaye is everywhere and Clean Still Bills are Carol King-caliber raer. But Curtis is a bit more elusive. Well, no... I take that back - skated curtis and impressions are around and even more common are sleeveless curtoms. So, pretty much my, entire Curt collection needs minting. Another "$5 - $15" record I never see is Jimmy Castor "It's Just Begun."

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Another "$5 - $15" record I never see is Jimmy Castor "It's Just Begun."

word! I had a trashed copy once, and then I paid 20 for a sealed one that turned out to be warped.

I just passed up a pretty nice curtom press of the Curtis S/T for 15. Probably shoulda bought it, but I already have a minty one. I finally have clean copies of the Curtis/Impressions I want, but it's taken years. Well, still don't have a copy of Roots with the calender.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    That's weird, in Sweden you find It's just begun ALL THE TIME. But Curtis is damn near impossible to find cheap, and Al Green isn't all over the place either. I guess too few people were into soul over here in the 70s, and those who were are hanging on the classic albums. As far as regular stores/flea markets go, I think I've seen Hot Buttered Soul once, for example. But Tough guys is everywhere.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Another "$5 - $15" record I never see is Jimmy Castor "It's Just Begun."

word! I had a trashed copy once, and then I paid 20 for a sealed one that turned out to be warped.

I just passed up a pretty nice curtom press of the Curtis S/T for 15. Probably shoulda bought it, but I already have a minty one. I finally have clean copies of the Curtis/Impressions I want, but it's taken years. Well, still don't have a copy of Roots with the calender.

Roots has a calendar? Mine doesn't even have the back flap of the gatefold let alone that shit.

As for Castor, I gots a clean one but I found it at a house that did not mirror "the real word" or "the field." Dude's house also vended Honky Tonk Popcorn LPs & Tim McNealy 45s in the $5 - $15 range.

Castor continued... Anyone know the value of the Castor LP on Smash with Ham Hocks Espanol on it?

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    http://www.dustygroove.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/dga/search.cgi?usersrch=curtis+mayfield&issearch=yes

Peep dustygroove they have the Deluxe CD if your looking for just the music it has 9 extra tracks.....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The S/T and Live records routinely get $30 out here if clean. Probably the best $30 you could spend on a record though...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, still don't have a copy of Roots with the calender.

Roots has a calendar? Mine doesn't even have the back flap of the gatefold let alone that shit.

That was what was on the other side of that gatefold - lyrics plus the calendar. Guess all the Curtis fans tacked it up on the wall then dumped the album itself.