Sushi Bad or GOOD...

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
This explains everything!LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sushi is more popular than ever before but eating it "has become the new Russian roulette" in terms of safety, a group campaigning against mercury in fish said on Monday. Eli Saddler of gotmercury.org, a campaign of California-based Sea Turtle Restoration Project, went to six top sushi restaurants in Los Angeles to test mercury levels in the fish they serve."The level of mercury in tuna these restaurants serve is so high they should be keeping this food off their lists," Saddler said. "Eating sushi has become the new Russian roulette."Gotmercury.org proposes to take the study to various cities across the United States and educate sushi consumers on the risks of mercury intake, which can permanently damage the nervous system in fetuses and may cause temporary memory loss in adults.http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060306/hl_n...HBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-So The new Slogan for Soulstrut today is-"Say No To Sushi and Yes To Pink Taco's!!!" *Note when eating pink taco's if it don't smell right use a cleaning agent! And if it don't look right think of Chewed Bubble Gum, and how blowing bubbles gets your mind off everything! GO BRADY BUNCH!

Comments

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    haha...I just read that today too...I've heard that before though...and I think my gf and my homeboy just had a conversation about that...I'm veggie...so, not really sure it affects me, but just goes to show you how humans pollute and fuck shit up...

oh, and don't ever eat a pink taco that don't smell right...bad news (make fog horn noise)

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    good sushi good, bad sushi bad. but i just don't bother because i can't tell the difference before it's too late.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This isn't really about sushi at all though... its about fish... and I need to worry cuz I eat tuna steaks more often then sushi and thats a whole lotta mercury

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    fuck it

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sushi is more popular than ever before but eating it "has become the new Russian roulette" in terms of safety, a group campaigning against mercury in fish said on Monday.

Eli Saddler of gotmercury.org, a campaign of California-based Sea Turtle Restoration Project, went to six top sushi restaurants in Los Angeles to test mercury levels in the fish they serve.

"The level of mercury in tuna these restaurants serve is so high they should be keeping this food off their lists," Saddler said. "Eating sushi has become the new Russian roulette."

Gotmercury.org proposes to take the study to various cities across the United States and educate sushi consumers on the risks of mercury intake, which can permanently damage the nervous system in fetuses and may cause temporary memory loss in adults.

I'm not intimate with this study, but it reeks of being at least partly fabricated, misinterpreted, or presented. So to recap it has...

1.) A poor sampling: sampling of 12 from 6 restaurants... this is very narrow. Why not do a sampling from every fish supplier in the area?

2.) Poor presentation of statistics. An 88% increase over a very small amount is still a very small amount. News channels do this all the time, they say (as a fictional example) there's a "300% increase in murders by bludgeoning using a lead pipe in the united states" when really the total number of incidents is 10, so a 300% increase still is unlikely to represent any trend and is probably natural fluctuation.

3.) They're using words with impact to enforce an agenda with very non-alarmist statistics. Calling it "russian roulette" is a little over the top. Similarly, there's a set of billboards on campus right now warning people they are about to witness "genocide", and it's a graphic pro-life presentation. It's not the right word, but it's the word with the most impact. The presentation matters, and nobody pays attention to a news story that doesn't imply they might DIE.... TODAY!

4.) No accounting for the difference between farmed and wild. The former have less heavy metals for obvious reasons.

Probably other aspects I haven't thought of... okay back to work...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Fuck it indeed. I love sushi.

• sushi makes me wanna poop, although i do like it.

Whether that report is alarmist or not, the mercury levels in fish are at dangerous levels... depending on the type of fish and where it came from, of course (and I'm assuming aschrock meant WILD would have fewer metals...)

But what I'm saying is sushi eaters have LESS to be concerned about than straight-up fish eaters cuz you're getting more rice and seaweed than anything else...

fuck it

I would think if you loved it so much you'd know how to spell it...

• girgir 329 Posts
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sushi is more popular than ever before but eating it "has become the new Russian roulette" in terms of safety, a group campaigning against mercury in fish said on Monday.

Eli Saddler of gotmercury.org, a campaign of California-based Sea Turtle Restoration Project, went to six top sushi restaurants in Los Angeles to test mercury levels in the fish they serve.

"The level of mercury in tuna these restaurants serve is so high they should be keeping this food off their lists," Saddler said. "Eating sushi has become the new Russian roulette."

Gotmercury.org proposes to take the study to various cities across the United States and educate sushi consumers on the risks of mercury intake, which can permanently damage the nervous system in fetuses and may cause temporary memory loss in adults.

I'm not intimate with this study, but it reeks of being at least partly fabricated, misinterpreted, or presented. So to recap it has...

1.) A poor sampling: sampling of 12 from 6 restaurants... this is very narrow. Why not do a sampling from every fish supplier in the area?

2.) Poor presentation of statistics. An 88% increase over a very small amount is still a very small amount. News channels do this all the time, they say (as a fictional example) there's a "300% increase in murders by bludgeoning using a lead pipe in the united states" when really the total number of incidents is 10, so a 300% increase still is unlikely to represent any trend and is probably natural fluctuation.

3.) They're using words with impact to enforce an agenda with very non-alarmist statistics. Calling it "russian roulette" is a little over the top. Similarly, there's a set of billboards on campus right now warning people they are about to witness "genocide", and it's a graphic pro-life presentation. It's not the right word, but it's the word with the most impact. The presentation matters, and nobody pays attention to a news story that doesn't imply they might DIE.... TODAY!

4.) No accounting for the difference between farmed and wild. The former have less heavy metals for obvious reasons.

Probably other aspects I haven't thought of... okay back to work...

research methodology

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    It's the Tuna that you don't want to eat all the time. Go with salmon - very low mercury levels. I like red snapper a lot too and I'm pretty sure that is low as well.