Tex Mex Funk - What's Good?

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
It seems like bands like Tortilla Factory, La Familia, Latin Breed, Little Joe, Sunny & The Sunliners, etc... were quite prolific, with the overwhelming bulk of the material not falling in the funk or soul realm. But when they did venture into that territory, the results are usually pretty worthwhile. So what are the albums to keep an eye out for? Let's do what Soulstrut does best - make a list.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    pretty obvious but raer

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm eyeballing a 300+ box of texican and mexican 45's that a friend's mother is trying to get rid of. I'll holla at it and let you know.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

complete with a bugged out cover of cissy strut

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

complete with a bugged out cover of cissy strut

What's that band's name towards the bottom? (Somehow I doubt it's Cocinero Loco, which appears to be the title.)

I agree, this version of "Cissy Strut" is sick - doesn't have the New Orleans accents of the original (and doesn't try to), but you don't miss them - it's that good. (Not like that whitebread version by Al Capps on Columbia.)

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    the band's name is conjunto sigilio XXI, and they renamed "cissy strut" "cocinero loco," which i think translates to "crazy cook"

• is that tex mex or just mex? I foudn a grip of those in Mexico City and somehow tend to think of them as Guadalajaran ala R&C...just a thought.

As far as tex-mex goes there are a few other good Tort factory joints in my opinion plus one banda version of Backstrokin' I know of but should not get publicly revealed.