craig's list woes

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
So dude has this listing:
Rare Records --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply to: ***************@craigslist.orgDate: 2006-03-04, 11:41PM ESTContact me if you are interested. This is just a few of the albums I have. Lets Stay Together Al Green Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of The Sky) Aretha Franklin 2 Trumpets Art Farmer/Donald Byrd The Genius Of Art Tatum Art Tatum Vol 3 In The Treasure Chest Benny Goodman The Great Benny Goodman Benny Goodman Blues For Sale Bill Eckstine Billy Holiday And Vivian Fears Billy Holiday Bud Powell Jazz Originals Bud Powell Bud Powell's Moods Bud Powell 16 Cab Calloway Classics Cab Calloway An Evening At Home Charlie Parker The Clifford Brown Big Band In Paris Clifford Brown At Basin Street Clifford Brown/Max Roach The Hawk In Flight Coleman Hawkins Basie Jazz Count Basie Broadway Basie's Way Count Basie Basie Live Count Basie A Swingin Affair Dexter Gordon Our Man In Paris Dexter Gordon Dexter Blows Hot And Cool Dexter Gordon Daddy Plays The Horn Dexter Gordon Go Dexter Gordon Dexter Gordon Doin' Allright Dexter Gordon Dianah Washington In Tribute Dianah Washington Back To The Blues Dianah Washington From Within Dionne Warwick Here Where there is Love Dionne Warwick Doinne Warwick's Golden Hits Dionne Warwick The Dizzy Gillespie Big 7 Dizzy Gillespie Ellington 55 Duke Ellington Daybreak Express Duke Ellington This Is Duke Ellington (2 record set) Duke Ellington The Count Meets Duke Duke Ellington & Count Basie Strager In The Night Frank Sinatra Close To You Frank Sinatra Wee Small Hours Frank Sinatra Swing Easy (2 record set) Frank Sinatra Capitol Jazz Classics Vol 4 Gerry Mulligan Tentette Gloria, Marty & Strings Gloria Lynne The Stylings Of Silver Horace Silver First Place J.J. Johnson Jimmy Smith Plays Pretty Just For You Jimmy Smith The New Wave Of Jazz Is On Impulse John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman The Modern Jazz Quartet Lauindo Almeida The Exciting Hamp In Europe Lionel Hampton A Rare Batch of Satch Louis Armstrong The Best Of Louis Armstrong (2 record set) Louis Armstrong Satchmo At Symphony Hall Louis Armstrong The Best of Louis Armstrong Louis Armstrong Louis Armstrong Favorites Louis Armstrong Louis Armstrong In the 30s and 40s Louis Armstrong The Genius Of Louis Armstrong Louis Armstrong Grandi Del Jazz Louis Armstrong Lucky Thompson Lucky Thompson Capitol Jazz Classics Vol 6 Metronome All Stars Early Miles Miles Davis West Side Story Movie Soundtrack The King Cole Trio Nat King Cole Nat Cole at JATP Nat King Cole Unforgettable Nat King Cole The Vintage Year Nat King Cole Oscar Peterson Trio Oscar Peterson Images Sarah Vaughan Linger Awhile Sarah Vaughan Sarah Vaughan Sarah Vaughan Beethoven "Eperor Concerto" Serkin Work Time Sonny Rollins Plus 4 Sonny Rollins This Time The Drum's On Me Stan Levey The Tadd Damerson Band Tadd Damerson I Miss You So The Cat And The Fiddle Outskirts Of Town The Prestige Blues Swingers Thelonious Monk Vol 2 Blue Notes 1511 Thelonious Monk Essen Jazz Festival Various Artist Capital Jazz Classics Vol 9 Woody Herman
I write:"Hi I am interested the following records: Work Time Sonny Rollins Plus 4 Sonny RollinsA Swingin Affair Dexter GordonThe Hawk In Flight Coleman HawkinsHow much are they? Thank you,"He writes back:"Make an offer"I write back:"OK. But for each title I need to know the condition of the cover and the record as well what pressing they are (e.g., mono vs stereo, catalog numbers)Thanks"He writes back:"I don't know."

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Why don't you just go over to his house and take a look? He did state that there were more.

PS - I am not responsible for any emotional or physical harm that may ensue upon entering said dudes house.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    People who craigslist records I have found to be of two types:

Awesome or absolute dicks.
    Those records are raer because he has them and is trying to sell them. They must be worth money, although he probably didn't research them, know anything about them, know anything about their condition, etc. I'm noticing more and more that people on craigslist or at a yard sale will sell you upside down airplane stamp raer for 50c, but charge $5 per for scratched dan fogelberg records. I don't know who has told all these people that records are worth major $$, but whoever did, I want to kick their asses.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

"OK. But for each title I need to know the condition of the cover and the record as well what pressing they are (e.g., mono vs stereo, catalog numbers)

Thanks"

He writes back:

"I don't know."

This could be absolutely true. Normal people, as opposite to us records nerds, usually don't know shit about mono/stereo, labels, catalog numbers, etc.
    Maybe these are not his records, but his father's. Of course he could have elaborated a little more on that answer.

• This reminds me of the guy at the flea market who sold me Darondo and the Ballads on Wee for $1 but had a special box of 80's pop picture sleeve 45s that he sternly advised he wanted $10 each for. I was like I actually love people like this.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

"OK. But for each title I need to know the condition of the cover and the record as well what pressing they are (e.g., mono vs stereo, catalog numbers)

Thanks"

He writes back:

"I don't know."

This could be absolutely true. Normal people, as opposite to us records nerds, usually don't know shit about mono/stereo, labels, catalog numbers, etc.
    Maybe these are not his records, but his father's. Of course he could have elaborated a little more on that answer.

Yeah, but you can always get someone to say they "don't have scratches" or they "got wet in the basement" or something--even though they are usually way off.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Play nice and get over to his house asap, Fr**k!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    craig's list like totally gives me the willies.

You can have it. I'm tired of jass ablums. Check your pms.

• "OK. But for each title I need to know the condition of the cover and the record as well what pressing they are (e.g., mono vs stereo, catalog numbers)

Thanks"

He writes back:

"I don't know."

that, and he could have READ THE COVERS AND LABELS AND RUNOUT GROOVES. I mean, damn, dude can type and post a craigslist ad but can't find/read the production info on a record jacket?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

that, and he could have READ THE COVERS AND LABELS AND RUNOUT GROOVES. I mean, damn, dude can type and post a craigslist ad but can't find/read the production info on a record jacket?

No wonder your records skip, I'm sensing bad vibes...

• upside down airplane stamp raer for 50c[/b]

upside down airplane stamp raer for 50c[/b]

Oh, come on. Everybody knows about that.

He followed up this AM.

All of these albums were purchased new over 30 years ago and are rare.

Work Time Sonny Rollins
    Cover Condition: Good (not mint)
    Record Condition: Good (not mint)
    Pressing:HI FI
    Catalog Number:PRLP 7020 B

Plus 4 Sonny Rollins
    Record Condition:Good (not mint)
    Pressing:HI FI
    Catalog Number:PRLP 7038 B

The Hawk In Flight Coleman Hawkins
    Record Condition:Good (not mint)
    Pressing:Not sure
    Catalog Number:LJM-1017 collectors issue

A Swingin Affair Dexter Gordon
    Record :Good (not mint)
    Pressing: Stereo
    Catalog Number:JLP 9295

• that, and he could have READ THE COVERS AND LABELS AND RUNOUT GROOVES. I mean, damn, dude can type and post a craigslist ad but can't find/read the production info on a record jacket?

No wonder your records skip, I'm sensing bad vibes...

yo, I'm clicking "X" but nothing is happening, wtf? I neeeeed me some nirvana!