NW/BC dudes. I need some advice...

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
So I have plans to drive from Portland, OR up to Seattle, and then on to Vancouver. I've heard that there is a auto-ferry, and it's really expensive to travel with a car. What are my other options? should I take some kind of bus from Seattle to the ferry? Once I'm in Vancouver, I have to go to Victoria, and Whistler as well. Money is gonna be tight, so i'm trying to budget myself.Also, when I book this flight, should I:a. fly into seattle, drive down and back to fly out of the same place?b. fly to portland, fly out of vancouver?c. just give up?your help is much appreciated. i know nothing of the area.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    It's not really clear what you need to do. How is the car involved in this? Why don't you just fly to vancouver or seattle and rent a car while you're there?

As well, taking the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria, with a car, is relatively cheap.

• Options
    Maybe Reynaldo will finance your digging expedition?

K.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Victoria is the only place you'd need to take a ferry to. If you can cut it out of the equation, you'd solve that problem.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Also, when I book this flight, should I:
    a. fly into seattle, drive down and back to fly out of the same place?
    b. fly to portland, fly out of vancouver?
    c. just give up?

A or B sounds fine, just check flight costs for either.

Renting a car and driving is a good idea, especially if you got luggage. Use Expedia for car rentals. Them shits work well.

Driving:
    Seattle--->Vancouver: 3 hours
    Vancouver--->Whistler: 2.5 hours
    Vancouver--->Victoria: 4 hours
    Portland ---> Seattle: maybe 5 hours? Can't remember ...

Getting to Victoria is the only unusual part. Taking a ferry with a car costs around $35 each way I think. A coach from Vancouver to Victoria costs $33 each way. You can always PM if you got specific questions, I live in Vancouver and have made these trips many times.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    hey, I dont know if its relevant to your plans...but I was just checking on the train situation to B.C. and it was way cheaper than I expected. $46 Bucks one way from Portland to Vancouver...If your stopping in Seattle is probably half that I think. You have to get on a Bus in Seattle. So you could fly into Portland and take the Bus or the train all the way to B.C. for under 50 dollars and fly home from B.C. And still stop in Seattle on the way. Lots of good digs in Vancouver from what I remember. Hope this all comes together for you , we are all looking forward to it.

• Options
    Lots of good digs in Vancouver from what I remember.

Were you there the same time Bongo Band was recording?

K.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Just Alice Travel to the rescue. PDX to Seattle 2.75hrs every time. Train is a great deal if you don't need a car. Start in Portland and head north.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Portland ---> Seattle: maybe 5 hours? Can't remember ...

More like a 2hr. and 45 min. drive.

Delay, you coming to the N.O.R.S?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, portland to seattle is 2-1/2hrs maybe three at the most.
    seattle to vancouver is only 110 miles, so bank on about 2hrs. (btw: victoria is maybe the lamest spot on the planet)
    the cheapest airport to fly into would be seatac, if that makes the equation any easier... and it'll be easy to crash at places (heavy strutters in every city), and so on. not to be too biased, but there's always more going on in seattle than portland, and navigation is easier as well. only saying so, 'cause my kid lives just outside of portland, and i'm down there a few times a month. plus we got dee rock and big chan.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    HI ALICE!

Pardon me, guys. I know it's rude to ask a question and disappear... I've been in goddamn jury dudy all day.

OK... I wasnt trying to unleash too much information here, for fear that it may get jinxed. (PDX follios know, i'm crazy superstitious). I'll be heading out to Portland, playing there April 14th, and attending the Night Owl Show after staying in Mr. Jeigh's sock drawer. from there, I was hoping to head up to Seattle, and spend a couple days just coolin. I don't really know the town, so any help would be rad as fuck (Chan.. put me on dawg). I think i have some girls to stay w/ in the university district. I'm booked in Vancouver on the 20th, Victoria on the 21st, going back to Vancouver on the 22nd for an instore at beatstreet, and hopefully a guest spot that night. I think Whistler on the 23nd as well.

I'm really just trying to figure out my travel plan best as I can. So far, I think the best plan will be to Fly in and out of Seattle. It's cheaper to arrive and leave from the same city. I just wanted to know what the deal was with ferrys and shit. I've got it pretty much squared away. Thanks for all the help. Look foward to meeting some of you. please don't hesitate to pm me with contact info.

thanks,
    tom

• Options
    dudy

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Word. "Jury dudy" sounds crazy! Let the Seattle folls know when you'll be in town mayne.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

"Hey Beavis, He just said, dudy. Huh-huh, huh-huh."[/b]

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    alright alright... jesus. . . i'm knot a god speler, ko?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Delay, page me. It would be fun to egg or t.p. magic wackson's house.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If you rent a car check and see if they will let you drive it into Canada.

Victoria is on an island the ferry is the way to go. Victoria is easy to get around without a car, and walking on is cheap. Sounds like you are going from Vancouver (BC) to Victoria (On Vancouver island).

Southwest airlines does not charge you for flying into one city and out a different one.

Jury Dudy, 12 constipated men.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    hi dan! see you in april.

morrocco, i was thinking more along the lines of sugar in the gas tank..

chan, school me on miami bass.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

morrocco, i was thinking more along the lines of sugar in the gas tank..

that would be cool, flaming bag of dog shit on that bitches porch would be cool too!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'll be heading out to Portland, playing there April 14th...
    Details, plaese.

• attending the Night Owl Show after staying in Mr. Jeigh's sock drawer

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    OK ok itinerary is complete...

this is my schedule:

PORTLAND

Friday, April 14th
    XV

>>>VANCOUVER, BC

Tuesday, April 18th
    The Plaza
    881 Granville St.

Saturday, April 22nd
    In-Store Showcase
    Beat Street Records
    439 W. Hastings
    5:00pm (tentative)

>>>VICTORIA

Friday, April 21st
    The Jungle Room
    603 Pandora Ave.

>>>>BACK TO VANCOUVER

Saturday, April 22nd
    The Amsterdam Cafe
    301 W. Hastings

So I'll be at the Night Owl Show for sheezy and I'll prolly head up to Seattle on Sunday. What's crackin people? I'll head up to Vancouver on Monday just in case I have a problem at the border. My layover in Vancouver will be 3 days. What goes on?? get at me.